Opinion on my kitchen remodel

I have to be honest - I really don't like wooden cabinets, hate them.
But then, I prefer more modern or simple styles,
like this yellow and white Ikea cabinets (without the wooden background)
http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/categories/departments/kitchen/

or, modern sleek Shaker style

my modern Shaker kitchen dream

I don't believe painting old wood in white will help any - if anything, remove the old doors and replace them with a new ones. it's quite easy, less work and looks soooo much better.

Unless you love cottage look - up to you :)

Fuzzy

Thank you.

I'm not sure what color you mean but I have a pot filler behind/over the stove. It's brushed stainless steel like my other faucet set at the sink.

Yeah that it what I meant it look bass color to me . Cool , I never that before, that is a neat thing to have.

Did you put the pot filler in yourself ? It sure made cooking easier when you have a hard time carrying things.
TCS installed it. He tapped into the plumbing of the laundry room which is behind that wall.

TCS installed it. He tapped into the plumbing of the laundry room which is behind that wall.

That is very clever! I had a friend we dated and stayed friends ,he took his TV and wired it up to a light switch so he could turn the TV on and off while in bed . The TV didn't come with a remote , he would had loved TCS pot filler .

Still discussing cabinet colors with hubby. He is so against white cabinets so I may choose to do dark cherry wood. Going with a darker color is suppose to be a lot easier than going with white cabinets.

This looks nice. :)

refacing-oak-kitchen-cabinet-to-new-cherry-finish-kitchen-cabinet-and-triple-pendant-lamps-over-kitchen-island.jpg

Still discussing cabinet colors with hubby. He is so against white cabinets so I may choose to do dark cherry wood. Going with a darker color is suppose to be a lot easier than going with white cabinets.

Just dark colors darken the room as well as make it look smaller.... just a thought.

I agree going with a color darker than the honey oak I assume you have will be a whole lot easier than making them white....

I have to be honest - I really don't like wooden cabinets, hate them.
But then, I prefer more modern or simple styles,
like this yellow and white Ikea cabinets (without the wooden background)
http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/categories/departments/kitchen/

or, modern sleek Shaker style

my modern Shaker kitchen dream

I don't believe painting old wood in white will help any - if anything, remove the old doors and replace them with a new ones. it's quite easy, less work and looks soooo much better.

Unless you love cottage look - up to you :)

Fuzzy

I don't like the second link at all , I do like the cabinets with the glass , I would get it with real wood . That is copy of a farmer cabinet . I would love to have a farmer style kitchen , the sink is deep enough to give a small child a bath so it hold a lot of water. My dream house would be kitchen with a fireplace on one side and a dog and cat taking a nap in front of it. There was a great old farm house on my street and someone tried to moved it to made room for another house and the farm fell apart.
I was really thinking of trying to buy it after it fixed up. :(

Just dark colors darken the room as well as make it look smaller.... just a thought.

If you have a large room, then dark colors work. And if you have big windows, even better.

Really, no two homes are the same. Certain colors work well in some rooms, some not.

Angel says she has a huge kitchen....

We have 31 cabinet doors and 17 drawers. I'm thinking we might just go with cherry wood stain since it will be easier to cover and cost less. Plus hubby hates the idea of painting over the real wood. I've been looking at a lot of kitchen remodel pictures and I think the cherry wood will look nice. My granite on the counter tops goes up 8" as a back splash. I have 14" from the top of that to the bottom or my cabinets. That area now is painted but I have decided to tile it to make a full back splash. Before I do that, I need to hire an electrician to pull out the old lighting and install new. Seems no remodel job is easy. I really want to get this all done before the holiday's.....we shall see.

I appreciate all your comments, thank you.

I would like Shaker kitchen(are there still Shakers)

We have 31 cabinet doors and 17 drawers. I'm thinking we might just go with cherry wood stain since it will be easier to cover and cost less. Plus hubby hates the idea of painting over the real wood. I've been looking at a lot of kitchen remodel pictures and I think the cherry wood will look nice. My granite on the counter tops goes up 8" as a back splash. I have 14" from the top of that to the bottom or my cabinets. That area now is painted but I have decided to tile it to make a full back splash. Before I do that, I need to hire an electrician to pull out the old lighting and install new. Seems no remodel job is easy. I really want to get this all done before the holiday's.....we shall see.

I appreciate all your comments, thank you.

If you tile what's left of the backsplash then tile it will a color that is close to the color of the granite or it will look like an afterthought or a mistake. I've been in many kitchens and worked on many where the owner had a granite backsplash go up 4,6 or 8" and then put a subway tile or just standard tile in a totally different color and it just looks like an afterthought. IMO the way to do it is take the granite backsplash off and tile the backsplash from the countertop to the bottom of the cabinets so it looks like it was planned.

Didn't they die out due to their views on reproduction?
Not quite, although that did have an influence on their numbers.

"Today, just a few Shakers still live in a single village in Maine. To all appearances these are the last Shakers…."

PBS.org

Back