Open Ear Fitting Or Ear Moulds, Which Is Best

flyingscott58

Reaction score
Hi

I have a mild to moderate loss worse in the mid to higher frequencies. I wear 2 BTEs with an open ear fitting. I do find though that even though I have my aids programmed to cut out background noise when I find this too loud, even on that setting I don't hear speech well in noise.

I'm wondering whether that's because of the open ear fitting? Is the ear fitting allowing too much of what I don't want to hear in to my ears just because it is "open fit" and would having ear moulds instead remedy the issue?

Any (sensible) suggestions are welcome

I thank you.

I wore both kind of ear molds and I had a hard time talking to people when there was a lot of background sounds. I wear a solid ear mold now and I had hearing people tell they find it hard to talk to people when there a lot background sounds around.

Might be worth talking to your audiologist about it.. and even check with other audiologists to see what would work best. What works for one person may not for another since hearing loss and the degree varies greatly from person to person. Not exactly sure what an open ear fitting is though...

Hi

I have a mild to moderate loss worse in the mid to higher frequencies. I wear 2 BTEs with an open ear fitting. I do find though that even though I have my aids programmed to cut out background noise when I find this too loud, even on that setting I don't hear speech well in noise.

I'm wondering whether that's because of the open ear fitting? Is the ear fitting allowing too much of what I don't want to hear in to my ears just because it is "open fit" and would having ear moulds instead remedy the issue?

Any (sensible) suggestions are welcome

I thank you.
If you posted your audiogram numbers it might help determine which is best for your hearing loss.

Hearing in noisy situations is always going to be tricky (for everyone, deaf or hearing). Audie can help you figure out solutions or even tweak a programming for your hearing aid to help; might or might not make a difference.

I had mod to severe when I got my molds and I got skeleton because my audie told me I would still be about to use some of my own hearing to put up noise and help my HA.

Back