'Open Carry' Law Contoversy: Gun Owner Cited

Yes, it still would have happened (idiocy knows no limit), and if someone with a CC pulled out a gun and started firing, he or she would have ended up putting everyone in the vicinity in danger.

These two thugs were caught on camera. The law will sort them out. You citizens with your CCW who want to be vigilantes are such a joke wanting to be rambos.

You want to really learn how to self-defend? Learn martial arts.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkLXdLgOybE]Indiana Jones and the shoot of death - YouTube[/ame]

So, you find 47 unjustified deaths (these people were criminally charged) acceptable?

Do you find the 40,000+ deaths caused by licensed drivers every year acceptable? I'm assuming that the amount of justifiable deaths involving vehicles is pretty damn near 0 (I figure there might be a running over of a carjacker or two in there). The death rate from motor vehicles is more than 3 times the rate of deaths from all homicides in the U.S., not just those involving guns. But that is considered an "acceptable" number by millions of people for the convenience of motored travel.

No, I don't consider any death "acceptable". I wish they ALL could be prevented, but removing CCWs wouldn't decrease the *overall* death rate.

All of this data comes from the CDC for the year 2007, the latest year available.

Having a gun in your home, and packing heat walking down the street are very different instances. However, I do hope that when you have that gun in your home, you keep it secured, because the facts of the matter are, that gun is several times more likely to result in the accidental death of a family member (usually a child) than it is to be used against an intruder.

True, they are different. I consider myself safer in my home than walking down the street.

"usually a child" isn't exactly accurate, though the accidental death of any number of children is a horrible thing. The CDC numbers show it to be usually an adult (475 adults versus 138 children in 2007).

I remember a few years ago, there was an incident at an apartment building around a little over 10 minutes away from where I live. A man was cleaning his gun and it went off. The bullet went through the ceiling and killed a little boy sleeping in his bed. He was charged with criminal negligence or something like that. It was in the news for a good while.

Although why would anyone clean a loaded gun? Only an idiot would, I guess.

I was basing that on the source site saying the shooters were convicted of a crime. Some of the cases are still pending and may be tossed out, though, so that number could certainly decrease.
Thank you. :ty:

Yes, it still would have happened (idiocy knows no limit), and if someone with a CC pulled out a gun and started firing, he or she would have ended up putting everyone in the vicinity in danger.

These two thugs were caught on camera. The law will sort them out. You citizens with your CCW who want to be vigilantes are such a joke wanting to be rambos.

You want to really learn how to self-defend? Learn martial arts.

I agree with most of what you said. Two points though: Not all CCW carrying people want to be rambos. That's just insulting. And martial arts is only effective in close quarters. I've participated in exercises that show it's *possible* to disarm a gun-carrying criminal if the distance is no more than 10 feet and the attacker doesn't actually have the gun pointed at you. Otherwise, some mad ninja moves aren't going to be much defense against guns, which the criminals already have.

That's not necessarily true. In some states you're automatically charged even if it is a home invasion and it's tossed out later. Some states have castle laws where the benefit of the doubt is given to the home owner, but not all...mine, for example. Some states, such as Hawaii and New Jersey, impose a "duty to retreat" that requires the homeowner to leave the home if possible, which can force a trial to determine whether the shooting of an intruder was justified. So home invasions in those cases *would* be included.
Our state, SC, has the castle doctrine, which includes the house, outbuildings, business, and vehicles.

I remember a few years ago, there was an incident at an apartment building around a little over 10 minutes away from where I live. A man was cleaning his gun and it went off. The bullet went through the ceiling and killed a little boy sleeping in his bed. He was charged with criminal negligence or something like that. It was in the news for a good while.

That's seriously awful. I think criminal negligence is too lenient.

That's seriously awful. I think criminal negligence is too lenient.

Well, the man did not intend to harm anyone. He was cleaning the gun, but he was incredibly irresponsible by not unloading it first. He pleaded guilty from what I remember. It was more of a freak accident than anything else.

Our state, SC, has the castle doctrine, which includes the house, outbuildings, business, and vehicles.

I lived in SC for a little while. When I asked about it, our local LEOs informed me they'd be happy to remove the intruder's body and try not to bother me too much in the process...

Obviously, it wasn't home invasions. The perpetrators were criminally charged.
A charge is not always a conviction. Sometimes the charges are dropped, or the case goes to trial and the verdict is not guilty, or reduced to manslaughter.

Well, the man did not intend to harm anyone. He was cleaning the gun, but he was incredibly irresponsible by not unloading it first. He pleaded guilty from what I remember. It was more of a freak accident than anything else.

I'm sure he felt horrible, but the thing is, it was an easily preventable accident. Rule #1 is "All guns are loaded." When we clean ours it's almost silly how many times we check, like a ghost might have slipped up and chambered a round when we blinked.

I'm sure he felt horrible, but the thing is, it was an easily preventable accident. Rule #1 is "All guns are loaded." When we clean ours it's almost silly how many times we check, like a ghost might have slipped up and chambered a round when we blinked.

He probably learned a valuable lesson from it. Yes, it was fully preventable in the first place, I just wish no one had to die in order for him to learn a lesson.

That's a pretty amazing bullet. Not saying it didn't happen, just wow.

Pretty good study on the effectiveness of carrying a concealed weapon. Unless you have advanced tactical training in gun shootout situations, in most circumstances where you are at real risk for being shot (in most robbery cases, a gun is just used for intimidation--why elevate the situation and possibly end up getting yourself and others killed?), a gun isn't going to help you.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QjZY3WiO9s&feature=related[/ame]

and

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLN6_s66wTg&feature=related[/ame]

The cc work pretty good.

Last edited:

What's amazing about that? Happens all the time. Homes are made of flimsy material. You know that.

That is why shotguns are recommended for home defense more than handguns. I 100% support shotgun ownership for home defense. In fact, I am thinking of getting one myself.

Yeah, it came through the floor of the bedroom the boy was in. It struck him in the back. I'm going to assume that the floor was not entirely solid.

The man who was responsible, I just looked him up and apparently he has learned nothing at all. He was arrested last year because he didn't comply with the conditions of his parole. Apparently he didn't abstain from using drugs.

He was sentenced to four years in jail for the shooting, but he didn't stay that long since he gathered credits by staying in jail prior to the trial. Because of that case and some other cases, the government proposed to change how the legal system works. I believe the credits are no longer applied to any sentences that may be given.

Yeah, it came through the floor of the bedroom the boy was in. It struck him in the back. I'm going to assume that the floor was not entirely solid.

The man who was responsible, I just looked him up and apparently he has learned nothing at all. He was arrested last year because he didn't comply with the conditions of his parole. Apparently he didn't abstain from using drugs.

He was sentenced to four years in jail for the shooting, but he didn't stay that long since he gathered credits by staying in jail prior to the trial. Because of that case and some other cases, the government proposed to change how the legal system works. I believe the credits are no longer applied to any sentences that may be given.

Hopefully he will learn this time.

Back