Only a Quarter of Parents to Deaf Kids Know Sign Language

I was in the middle of responding :roll: When have I ever supported an uninvolved parent? When have I said that it was ok to do nothing?[/QUOTE]

Then dont go around defining our family dynamics or deciding how we feel.

75%? I always knew it was very high % but it doesn't change how cruel it is...

Poor those children...

From the way you sound and imply, I get the feeling that you would be happy to see the end of ASL and Deaf culture. You havent been exactly the most supportive of ASL, Deaf schools, Deaf teachers, and the Deaf community in many of your posts.

Yeah, that is my impression too. I remember pming someone and saying FJ has a markedly ambivalent attitude toward the Deaf community and ASL despite the fact her daughter has been in a bi bi program.

Sigh. I wish my parents signed.

Being late-deafened, I wish my family would have learned to sign also. Even my brother....he would not ever talk to me via phone, said he could not "talk with a machine".....Now as I've gotten older, and my eyes not as sharp as before, I'm relying on ASL much more, and my kids know it, not fluently, but they know how to communicate with me.
As for us late-deafies...my guess is that we're expected to keep on "acting normal"....(that's the way it was said to me!)....So the family keeps on talking, friends keep on talking....no one wants to do the ASL....the family gets exasperated when you ask "what's going on?"...as if it's the dumbest question evah!....
One word for it all....sad.

Being late-deafened, I wish my family would have learned to sign also. Even my brother....he would not ever talk to me via phone, said he could not "talk with a machine".....Now as I've gotten older, and my eyes not as sharp as before, I'm relying on ASL much more, and my kids know it, not fluently, but they know how to communicate with me.
As for us late-deafies...my guess is that we're expected to keep on "acting normal"....(that's the way it was said to me!)....So the family keeps on talking, friends keep on talking....no one wants to do the ASL....the family gets exasperated when you ask "what's going on?"...as if it's the dumbest question evah!....

My word for this statement in bold..... THAT

Yeah, that is my impression too. I remember pming someone and saying FJ has a markedly ambivalent attitude toward the Deaf community and ASL despite the fact her daughter has been in a bi bi program.

I just got scolded by another poster for being too harsh about how important it is to provide ASL for a deaf child. I was told I was scaring her because I said things like "long term language deprivation leads to permanent cognitive issues" and that while listening and spoken language is great, since her child child clearly doesn't have access to all of spoken language she MUST get him fluent ASL NOW.

But I suppose that isn't good enough :hmm:

Sad but true. Child's education begins at home not school, thats why many Deafies are really behind big time.

I had to disagree with the research stated not to blame parents. Parents has the responsibility to adapt their own children. Most hearing parents avoiding taking responsibility, their excuse? "Oh that is too hard to learn". This is the worst excuse from any parents, and is NOT acceptable.

Dead serious answer here (ive said this before):

Find me any ONE speaking deaf person that is perfectly comfortable in a group of 5+ speaking people just shooting the shit..

With ASL they can just shoot the shit with 20++ people very comfortably. With hearing people speaking and all... its just another animal. you wind up talking to only 1-2 people at a time, or being isolated...
just because you "dont want ot intrude"

it's reality...

Why is Kenya working on all the schools to teach EVERY child sign language? There is a reason.

I can SOOOO totally relate to that. It's how it is for me all the time. I even mentioned something along these lines in another thread unrelated to this one -- I was talking about how I have to go to a corner to "refresh my drink" as an excuse because I feel uncomfortable or tired of lipreading for hours. It's an entirely different story when you're with a group of deaf people with ASL - that's where I fit in easiest !!

Do you think that hearing people can listen to 20 people talk at the same time and follow it? :eek3: That is impossible. I wouldn't be able to understand a group of more than 5 people and my hearing is perfect.

I know how you feel. Eventually it catches up with them, though. My parents live in an assisted-living community center, and I try to visit them every weekend. They are around 90 now, getting feeble, and it is so blamed hard to understand their speech to me. Fortunately, the receptionist knows sign language, bless her heart, and she helps me talk with my parents. The last time I saw them a couple days ago, the look of frustration in my parents' eyes was heartbreaking. They knew they somehow missed the boat.

Do you think that hearing people can listen to 20 people talk at the same time and follow it? :eek3: That is impossible. I wouldn't be able to understand a group of more than 5 people and my hearing is perfect.

Consider the social dynamics.... Now if you were with a group of hearing people and one hearing person kept asking everyone to repeat everything they say all night long... How would you react? You'd want to shy away because "its too much work", right?

Yup, that.

Your point are valid, even though hearing people can't hear 20 people talk at same time and understand perfectly HOWEVER, hearing person has advantage to be selective which to hear and understand, while this is totally impossible for Deaf to achieve this.

Same goes to Deaf, they can't even understand group of 20 Deafies talk at same time but CAN be selective which to engage or get involved.

Consider the social dynamics.... Now if you were with a group of hearing people and one hearing person kept asking everyone to repeat everything they say all night long... How would you react? You'd want to shy away because "its too much work", right?

Yup, that.

Yup, that.

Since I have a child who is deaf, I would have no problem repeating myself. I have also been lucky enough that the Deaf community has always been willing to repeat things for me. I would show the same respect.

I don't think he meant all 20 are talking at the same time. That would actually be silly wouldn't it? But when you are in a group, say at a party, where there's 20 or so people milling around - you can hear overshots of what's being said. It's impossible for a deaf person to hear virtually even ONE person in that setting. So it's all lipreading at this point. You can go to a party where there are 5 people -- you most assuredly can understand the dynamics of what's going on and what's being said. We don't.

Since I have a child who is deaf, I would have no problem repeating myself. I have also been lucky enough that the Deaf community has always been willing to repeat things for me. I would show the same respect.

I said hearing person, not deaf. :)

I don't think he meant all 20 are talking at the same time. That would actually be silly wouldn't it? But when you are in a group, say at a party, where there's 20 or so people milling around - you can hear overshots of what's being said. It's impossible for a deaf person to hear virtually even ONE person in that setting. So it's all lipreading at this point. You can go to a party where there are 5 people -- you most assuredly can understand the dynamics of what's going on and what's being said. We don't.

Again, no, if I'm at a party with 20+, it would be unlikely that I would be able to hear any conversation that was not in a face to face, extremely close range, directed at me specifically, situation.

Back