Only a Quarter of Parents to Deaf Kids Know Sign Language

Wirelessly posted

Well, then why you said it?

Because it sounds like your posts said "See? ASL don't work. Almost everyone is speaking, why signing?"

That maybe what you hear, but that isn't what I write.

That doesnt mean the problem isnt still there so are you saying "Who cares about these kids like me and many others as long as there are some families like yours?" Is that what you are implying?

I believe that the vast majority of familes are responsible and involved. There are always kids that slip through the cracks (hearing and deaf) and it is a pity, but how do we solve uninvolved parents? That is not an ASL/oral issue.

I believe that the vast majority of familes are responsible and involved. There are always kids that slip through the cracks (hearing and deaf) and it is a pity, but how do we solve uninvolved parents? That is not an ASL/oral issue.

Still not getting it. My parents were involved but they thought as long as I was functioning like a hearing kid, I was fine and there was no need for ASL.

It has happened to so many families even those who are very involved. I think many here know what I am talking about. Deaf children fooling everyone that they fit in fine but when they really do not.

It was definitely an ASL/oral issue with my family and with many others whom I know.

Wirelessly posted

faire_jour said:
Wirelessly posted

Well, then why you said it?

Because it sounds like your posts said "See? ASL don't work. Almost everyone is speaking, why signing?"

That maybe what you hear, but that isn't what I write.

I'm not hearing. You should said "what you see"...

No, they are hearing kids according to your medical viewpoint.

Not at all. A child with a hearing loss will always be deaf or hoh, no matter how well they hear. They may hear at "normal" levels through technology, but their residual hearing is not the same as a hearing person's.

Not at all. A child with a hearing loss will always be deaf or hoh, no matter how well they hear. They may hear at "normal" levels through technology, but their residual hearing is not the same as a hearing person's.

You just have a very very strong medical viewpoint on deafness.

I dont.

Still not getting it. My parents were involved but they thought as long as I was functioning like a hearing kid, I was fine and there was no need for ASL.

It has happened to so many families even those who are very involved. I think many here know what I am talking about. Deaf children fooling everyone that they fit in fine but when they really do not.

It was definitely an ASL/oral issue with my family and with many others whom I know.

You have said that your brother used ASL but your family didn't bother to use or learn it, that isn't involved.

Seriously. If you can hear and understand what people are saying, how are you left out? Dead serious question.

Dead serious answer here (ive said this before):

Find me any ONE speaking deaf person that is perfectly comfortable in a group of 5+ speaking people just shooting the shit..

With ASL they can just shoot the shit with 20++ people very comfortably. With hearing people speaking and all... its just another animal. you wind up talking to only 1-2 people at a time, or being isolated... just because you "dont want ot intrude"

it's reality...

Why is Kenya working on all the schools to teach EVERY child sign language? There is a reason.

You have said that your brother used ASL but your family didn't bother to use or learn it, that isn't involved.

Ok...go ahead and define my family dynamics but dont get upset when others define your parenting skills.

No, I have a balanced view. I believe in the value of the Deaf community and ASL AND the value in hearing and spoken language.

From the way you sound and imply, I get the feeling that you would be happy to see the end of ASL and Deaf culture. You havent been exactly the most supportive of ASL, Deaf schools, Deaf teachers, and the Deaf community in many of your posts.

Wirelessly posted

Well, I think it is kind of funny cos nobody complain about apemen used to sign very many years ago before speaking. :)

From the way you sound and imply, I get the feeling that you would be happy to see the end of ASL and Deaf culture. You havent been exactly the most supportive of ASL, Deaf schools, Deaf teachers, and the Deaf community in many of your posts.

I have never said anything like that. That is something that people who are afraid of the future and change and progress infer when I never say anything like that.

I have never said anything like that. That is something that people who are afraid of the future and change and progress infer when I never say anything like that.

Why are you ignoring PFH's posts to you? He has some very valid points.

One finger pointing at me, 4 fingers pointing back at you. Maybe reconsider that statement about being afraid.

Yet you defend the parents who dont speak or sign to their deaf child here...

I don't get it.

When have I defended a parent who does NOTHING for their child? I support any choice that is working for their child. Hands and Voices says "What works for your child is what makes the choice right"

Why are you ignoring PFH's posts to you? He has some very valid points.

One finger pointing at me, 4 fingers pointing back at you. Maybe reconsider that statement about being afraid.

I was in the middle of responding :roll: When have I ever supported an uninvolved parent? When have I said that it was ok to do nothing?

Back