Only a Quarter of Parents to Deaf Kids Know Sign Language

I already explained to her that it is about adding ASL, not sending them away from home. I don't know anyone who praise that. Really. They are more likely have the attitude," if this is what you gotta do, then..ok" . But they want parents to be involve and feel that sending them deaf school is their first step. But they rather if the kids don't stay in residential school. I know sending kids to residential school is part of adding ASL and parent is avoiding to learn ASL and no one is happy about that. I don't know a single person who is happy about parents refusing to learn ASL. There are parents who just send them to public school and let the school take care of them too. And one of the research show that it does happen, they don't always go for mapping and such for CI: Oral school also have residential school. And there have been parents who supported parents for sending their kid to that school instead of public school. So why make a fuss at deaf people for showing support for deaf school when all kind of people do the same thing. http://www.clarkeschools.org/ is one of the oral residential school.

I didn't see the big deal about praising about certain deaf school.

She was making a point. Don't take away from the point by getting bogged down in the details of the point. Sorry for speaking for you DD and please correct me if I am wrong.

I like the her first point of "That is Great!" it is showing support no matter what the person's background is.

Of course any parent whether they send their kids to a deaf school or not should learn ASL. Even the kids who go to deaf residential school whose parents don't learn ASL do lag behind those whose parents do learn ASL. However, at least they are in an environment where they have full access to language and communication at the academic setting rather than none like me. if I had to choose..I would rather have some time during the day where I totally fit in than none at all.
At least their parents r sending them to programs where the kids will be guaranteed to full access to language whether it is a deaf BiBi program at a public school or Deaf school.

The best scenario would be parents who learn ASL and deaf kids in a program that offers both ASL and English.

Anybody know what a drone is?:lol: Shel, again and again puts this it its simplest perspective. Over the years, what I have seen, except for a comparatively few, is that parents run for the hills at the mention of ASL, a language perfectly suited for visual children.

Of course any parent whether they send their kids to a deaf school or not should learn ASL. Even the kids who go to deaf residential school whose parents don't learn ASL do lag behind those whose parents do learn ASL. However, at least they are in an environment where they have full access to language and communication at the academic setting rather than none like me. if I had to choose..I would rather have some time during the day where I totally fit in than none at all.
At least their parents r sending them to programs where the kids will be guaranteed to full access to language whether it is a deaf BiBi program at a public school or Deaf school.

The best scenario would be parents who learn ASL and deaf kids in a program that offers both ASL and English.

BUT it was just said 2 pages ago that kids will learn ASL better and faster than the family, so accept it and be happy about it.

My point is that it is not a "tragedy" that parents can't sign if their kids don't know or use sign. It isn't that they aren't able to communicate, that the child is suffering and unable to understand or express themselves with their family. They just communicate in a language that ISN'T ASL.

The tragedy is that the kids don't know or use sign because the parents have not made the effort to know and use sign. And yes, the kids are suffering as a result.

Even growing up with English as my first language, I could never understand what poetry was all about but as soon as I became fluent in ASL and watched ASL poetry being told, I finally got it what poetry was about and now I can understand English poetry. Ironic, isnt it?

Ironic and sad that people still are not taking advantage of your experience to make things easier and more enriching for deaf children today.

I like the her first point of "That is Great!" it is showing support no matter what the person's background is.

I understand. I was just making a point, it IS judgmental, But that's what we are doing right now. When we agree or disagree with something, we are actually judging, making an assessment, if it's the right thing or not. Even when you agree, you are still judging, but it is in your favor.

Do you see what I mean?

I agree.

I have friends who work in schools. A lot of them say that their students are not getting the communication needed at home and/or by their parents. A lot of parents are just giving up and letting the school deal with their deaf children.

It's getting sad that a lot of parents are giving up and thinking that learning sign language is too much work and a hassle. So, they either go for cochlear implants (thinking it's a "cure") or just let the schools deal with it. :roll:

Agreed. And that happens alot with the kids who have CIs, as well. The parents expect the school system to provide everything, well above and beyond what the school should ever be expected to provide. They seem to expect the school systems to do their job for them.

Agreed. And that happens alot with the kids who have CIs, as well. The parents expect the school system to provide everything, well above and beyond what the school should ever be expected to provide. They seem to expect the school systems to do their job for them.
:gpost:

Wirelessly posted

faire_jour said:

But it is ok to have a residential school raise your Deaf child because you choose ASL? :shock:

It's not a choice I would make unless I was physically or psychologically unable to raise my own child. But maybe children whose parents wish to abdicate their roles are better served in a boarding school.

But it is ok to have a residential school raise your Deaf child because you choose ASL? :shock:

ASL have nothing to do with chosing a residential school. You can pick all sort of methods and send them away to a residential school. You could use SEE, CUED, AVT, ORAL, or maybe they are blind or autistic and they want their child go to a specialized school that would best serve them and the parents can't move or whatever their reasons are.

Back