online/dvd asl learning

Kender

Reaction score
I want to take some sign language classes but my local colleges are not starting a new class until january and even the local deaf/hoh community center doesn't have it's next class until then. I would like to get a head start but aside from the internet or dvd's I don't know what to do. Even the local deaf/hoh get togethers are 40-60 miles away. The one that is 40 miles only meets once a month and the ones that meet more often are 60 miles away. I have a copy of the alphabet so I can start to at least finger spell, and I actually remember alot of the letters from when I was in elementry school. Aside from that though my sign language is limited to the one finger salute. Would the online be a decent way to go or would I get more if I made the trek to these get togethers?

Thanks

Hi Kender

Since you are only waiting a few months and are limited to media - Yes, by all means, online and printed media will help you prepare for winter quarter.

Some good resources

aslpro.com

lifeprint.com

SignLink has a full immersion DVD that is pretty good

remember though, resources are additions to and never take the place of actual classroom.

Hope this helps

Thanks, I looked at those websites. I haven't poked around the aslpro.com that much, but I do really like the lifeprint.com website. I am ordering the cd so I can view it at work without going through the slow connection on our air cards. I really like the pictures and the way it is laid out. Plus the fingerspelling tool lets you know how well you retain the signs, without going too fast.

I know from taking other language classes that the "books" can't teach you everything, and it is much easier to learn when you use it with others. I just want to learn as much as I can now and then add to it with formal training.

thanks

Hi Kender,

I am new to sign also (ASL 1 student) and I had a 'knee-jerk' reaction to local sign dialects (i.e. signs that are COMPLETELY different based on MY region). I did exactly what you are trying to do. I purchased a CD-ROM with a signing avatar, flash cards, and started learning the alphabet. The help was minimal but, exposed me to some aspects of the language. NOW? I fingerspell E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G I see or hear when I am in my car or at my regular job. I even will practice fingerspelling with my hand down at my side while I am walking around at work. This will definitely help you and, as the experts will tell you, you have to be a good fingerspeller to be an interpreter. Also, you might try asl.ms fingerspelling website for receptive skills. I put the speed on 'fast' or 'deaf' in order to try to improve these skills. As for the ASL: For me, the most difficult part is the structural format differences (from spoken English) and YES, if you are serious about signing, you will need to drive to the deaf events...REGULARLY!!

Good Luck! Hopefully I can practice what I preach!!

John

Back