Online Colleges, Good or bad?

What's your take on online colleges?

• Been to one, loved it! doing great now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Been to one, hate it! stay away from them!

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • I haven't been to one, but I'm curious

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Would rather go to a local college

Votes: 8 61.5%

• Total voters

ladysolitary85

Reaction score
So I've be pondering with the idea of going to an online college because of my work schedule being weird. Would love your thoughts, shared experience with any online college.

If you're talking about purely online, for-profit colleges, then they are very, very bad. Here's an overview:

CagleCPForProfitgraphic2.png

If you just mean a regular college and taking classes online, then this doesn't apply.

originally I was talking about online colleges, but it could also mean just the idea of online from a local college.

originally I was talking about online colleges, but it could also mean just the idea of online from a local college.

That I can't say, I never tried taking any online courses when I was in college. I'd imagine your success with it would depend on how focused you can stay - if you're easily distracted, I would imagine it would be very difficult.

I've taken online courses for one of my degrees. It's a different experience for sure.

I liked not having to deal with accommodations because any accommodation--no matter how good it is--is a step removed from what other (hearing) students have. So that put us on a more level playing field.

But I also found there are certain facets that are important. It's sometimes harder to convey complex topics through pixels on a computer screen. The instructor can't "sense" whether you are getting it or not, so communicating this is more crucial than in a traditional classroom.

There are other things like no weather to deal with, no parking hassles, etc.

I would stick to an online program from an accredited university. You don't want to end up with a degree that isn't worth the paper it is printed on.

I would stick to an online program from an accredited university. You don't want to end up with a degree that isn't worth the paper it is printed on.

well yea that is a big thing to look out for. I was trying to figure out either a profit or non-profit school, but Sapphire summed that up for me... just don't know any good accredited, non-profited soon.

^^^ THIS! Accredited or forgetted. :) It is important.

yea i think online study is good and great thing for the persons who can't go school or college then they study online

It's depend on which course that would be compatible to study at home thry online. For example, I find better way to work at home that involved with computer like computer & science. If it's math, it's something you wouldn't understand and can fail.

Online courses work well for some students. I think that it works well for people who are very motivated and self-disciplined. Some students need more attention and monitoring. A local community college is a good choice for students who need more human interaction.

Online not for me

Paper based correspondence with tutors I can speak to from the first phone re concerns yes
Been there done that.
Was a waste of the grant money sadly
But Im glad I did it
It won't get me a job but did show that Im on the right career path

The next correspondence program I am entering is has the backing of the law society and legal excutives I had spoke with(many in diffent towns) say its a good programme to do.

And oh yeah I'm finishing High school via paper based correspondence with amazing tutors

The way to asses weather or not a correspondence program is worth the money is can I speak to the tutor and how do they come across? Most for profit programs wont.

I went to a "for ferdal grant programme" onsite programme and the training had zero to do with the industry we were to enter at the of the programme.It was an industry specific programme.

The difficulty can vary per person, math is so stupid imo. 1 major hint of warning, almost every college does not accept online course credit transfers and prob every job would rather see in class than online degrees. If u can't go to the actual classes then any education is better than none...otherwise, stay away...

would u rather have a doctor with an online degree working on you, or one who went to a physical college...easy answer.

The difficulty can vary per person, math is so stupid imo. 1 major hint of warning, almost every college does not accept online course credit transfers and prob every job would rather see in class than online degrees. If u can't go to the actual classes then any education is better than none...otherwise, stay away...

would u rather have a doctor with an online degree working on you, or one who went to a physical college...easy answer.

There are a lot of courses that are not available online. Keep that in mind.

Not the same answer. If it is accredited, it ought to be close to an actual course.

Not the same answer. If it is accredited, it ought to be close to an actual course.

mymathlab is an online program, its just like homework, it is soooo different than an actual class. esp chemistry online where u do the labs at home alone. I have seen so many kids pass math classes online and they cant do an ounce of that math. it is kinda like idea drilling than explanations and application.

Back