one-hand sign language

taking advantage

If, you hold iphone 4 or EVO or Samsung EPIC. You have to use one hand sign language.

this is about an " interpreter "who is scamming the deaf and also being unethical. what concerns me even more is that her supervisor allowed her to go on camera for this. sorenson should be dropped for allowing this. i get way too many incompetent relay operators but they are not terps. a terp is supposed to be professional in ALL paid situations.what is sorenson thinking???? very unprofessional of them

I am recovering from a bad shoulder dislocation and break, and I am not working (with my partially sighted Deafblind student who relies very much on sign language) until I am able to sign properly again... I hate not being able to work with her now, but it's NOT about me...it's about what is best for her, and me not being able to form signs properly is NOT best for her.

When interpreting or (as in my case) intervening is your JOB, you have no business doing it if you are unable to do it right.

They should NOT expect any VRS terp to work with one arm in a sling! They shouldn't presume that VRS-using Deafs are all fluent enuf to understand one-handed signing.

Here's a slightly different scenario for y'all.
I am hard-of-hearing, belong to a women's chorus, and sign half their songs in ASL during concerts. A Hearing pro interpreter signs the other half of the concert, plus interpreting whatever speeches go on during the event.

Two days before concert time, I fell on ice, and my elbow's immobilized in plaster, we can't get another 'terp, and not enuf time for pro 'terp to learn my 9 songs, nor practice shadowing me.
What to do???
Would love your opinions!
Kim from Boston

Back