OK.. this might sound bad....

litepack

Reaction score
.. but how many of you hard of hearing people out there dont tell people your hard of hearing when your dating. Believe it or not you can make people repeat themselves with a wide variety of phrases and they dont notice at all.

On the same side.. how many people keep it to themselves that they can read lips? it can be a rather interesting advantage to have at times.

I dont tell people that I am hard of hearing until they get to know my personality. People tend to judge others due to their disability. That's why I let them know about my personality beforehand. Once they figure it out they think it's cool and are much more relaxed.

In a dating situation, I would tell them right away. They are going to either figure it out quickly, or think I am weird or stupid, which I am neither.
They need to know right away, they will have decisions to make about it as far as if they can handle it or not. I found found that many can not handle it at all. They are the ones that miss out on getting to know great people when they judge as before getting to know us, in my opinion it takes a long time to get to know a person with hearing problems, and many just don't seem to want to put in the time or effort it takes, and many don't have the needed patience either, so yes, I tell them right up front, I don't hear.

As far as lip reading, I really don't tell to many because I really don't think about it. My family and friends know that I do.

very good question you posed and it will be interesting to read the other responses.

I have Treacher Collins Syndrome, and dang, they automatic know I can't hear well. :whistle:

I generally don’t even bring up the subject unless somebody asks. Unilateral deafness is something that most people are just too stupid to understand. We live in a society where half of the adult population is unaware that the stars are other suns. Trying to explain why people who possess monaural hearing can hear perfectly well in some situations and are deaf as stump in others is usually a lost cause. Even my wife doesn’t fully get it, and she’s bilaterally deaf—but she gets it better than most people. :kiss: Life is just too short to waste on intellectually inferior people.

Back