Ojo Videophone (Snap!VRS)

Travel with Ojo:

I am sure everyone travel with laptop to hotel or motel. You know most of hotel has cord setting on table for your laptop which is called ethernet. You simple plug it into your ojo phone and power it up. Your ojo will automatically accept it since ojo phone itself has assigned phone # in system already.

not every hotel/motel are free for using wifi or ethernet, I would say 99% of hotel would charge appox $10 per 24 hours which is reasonable day.

I have new line for Ojo

:bowdown:"Ojo/Snap!Vrs ROCKS! They're number one!!" :bowdown:

Ojo have difficult to use for flashing signal to know that you have incoming call.

isn't that correct?

I am sure everyone travel with laptop to hotel or motel. You know most of hotel has cord setting on table for your laptop which is called ethernet. You simple plug it into your ojo phone and power it up. Your ojo will automatically accept it since ojo phone itself has assigned phone # in system already.

not every hotel/motel are free for using wifi or ethernet, I would say 99% of hotel would charge appox $10 per 24 hours which is reasonable day.

I have new line for Ojo

Wow, which motels/hotels do you use? I've never been charged a fee for using motel/hotel ethernet connections.

It looks like some motel chains still charge a fee but some of those fees include unlimited phone service also, or are waived with free memberships. So you can still get free access at most motels.

Hotel Chain Internet Access Guide

If you are Deaf and you need ethernet for Ojo access, then the motel shouldn't charge you anyway because of the ADA. Don't let them get away with anything. ;)

Ojo

I do not use flash for my Ojo, but I am sure if you contact their customer service and request the right product that provide flashing for your ojo. They will be more than happy to help you. But then again, REMEMBER they're new.. so don't expect them to to have everything ready... they're doing a lot of good processive with their company.

Everyone that doesn't have one yet, please post here if you just have signed up for one.

Remember it will take few months to get it, waiting is worth it, trust me and ask other ojo owner. it is WORTH waiting :)

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Snap!Vrs

I have to add this, they have phonebook and speed dial which is very useful for me.

I store many phone # into my phone book in my ojo, also with Ojo phone when you need to call snap!vrs, all you need to press one button which is "Select" and they answer within less 3-5 second and you will be talking to other end person within 10 second. Pretty fast :)

I have new line for Ojo

:topic::topic:

Not always. I have encountered few Hotels providing free wifi or ethernet. One (forgot name of hotel) at Eastham (in Cape Cod), Massechutte (just ask desk and they give you password) and Other at Marriott in St. Louis, MO. Some charges $8 for 3 hrs of usage (wow rip off!). McDonald's provide wireless only if you either pay $3.95 for 2 or 3 hrs of usage or sign up membership for longer wireless usage if you travel lot. Same goes for several airports (requires Membership and credit card). KCI airport offer free wireless. So free wifi areas are pretty spotty. I'm sure that Ojo is useful for travel if you don't accidently smash fragile LCD screen and maybe pass through Airport security (I haven't tried that). Can Laptop act as network server or "virtual router" for Ojo plugged into laptop's Ethernet port while it's on wireless access?

Catty

... McDonald's provide wireless only if you either pay $3.95 for 2 or 3 hrs of usage or sign up membership for longer wireless usage if you travel lot....
Do you mean a McDonald's restaurant charged for wifi? Where was that? I thought they were all free. I don't like their food, so I just bought a drink, then sat in my car and used the free wifi for my laptop while I was in the parking lot. I didn't have to sign up for anything. It's all free in my area.

off subject:

Hello you will not be able to use Ojo "Yet" in your car in front of Mcdonald :)

I wonder who they charge when a person takes the Ojo with them on a trip? That is, plugging in at the motel, or at a friend's house, or at work, temporarily, for a day or two.

Why would there be an extra charge for that? They make their money on relay calls. It doesn't matter where they call from.

Do you mean a McDonald's restaurant charged for wifi? Where was that? I thought they were all free. I don't like their food, so I just bought a drink, then sat in my car and used the free wifi for my laptop while I was in the parking lot. I didn't have to sign up for anything. It's all free in my area.

Were you located near another building beside McDonald's, they may have free wireless access. McDonald's use Wayport Wireless service. If you happened to see "Wayport" on wireless listing. If you tried to connect to it, it usually blocked w/ Login and Password window. Why don't you go in McDonald's and get urself a drink and look for brochure about Wayport Wireless Access. If you don't see any, Ask the Clerk about it. All McDonald's have wireless acess. Try Border Book Store, they have free wireless access. Or do Wardriving to find free and open wireless access LOL.

Catty

Why would there be an extra charge for that? They make their money on relay calls. It doesn't matter where they call from.

LOL I agree with dkf747. There are no charges regardless where you are at. Ojo would work just like laptop w/ webcam attached to it. You can call i711.com or any Internet VRS and use their service free anywhere. Same goes for Ojo Snapvrs.

Thanks
Catty

Were you located near another building beside McDonald's, they may have free wireless access. McDonald's use Wayport Wireless service. If you happened to see "Wayport" on wireless listing. If you tried to connect to it, it usually blocked w/ Login and Password window. Why don't you go in McDonald's and get urself a drink and look for brochure about Wayport Wireless Access. If you don't see any, Ask the Clerk about it. All McDonald's have wireless acess. Try Border Book Store, they have free wireless access. Or do Wardriving to find free and open wireless access LOL.

Catty
It's a free standing Micky-D, with the only wifi nearby. I checked the McDonald's website, and it does say that some of their locations allow parking lot wifi connection, and that some require password access.

I (and anyone with a laptop) can also access the web thru any private neighborhood wireless users who don't bother with password protection but I'm too honest to do that. :p

I don't normally take my laptop in the car with me. I was just experimenting one day to see how public wifi operates.

That's why I asked the question. It didn't make sense to me. So I'm thinking that I could buy an Ojo and just plug it in at home without incurring the monthly service charge.

That's why I asked the question. It didn't make sense to me. So I'm thinking that I could buy an Ojo and just plug it in at home without incurring the monthly service charge.

Nah! they wont incure monthly service charge. Like using Webcam on desktop or laptop and videochat software. Ojo are pretty much of it but "compacted" into one.

As for wireless. Same goes for me. If there are password on screen, I wouldn't bother with it. Cuz it locks out after few tries. so don't worry. I never was a password cracker tho.

Catty

It's a free standing Micky-D, with the only wifi nearby. I checked the McDonald's website, and it does say that some of their locations allow parking lot wifi connection, and that some require password access.

I (and anyone with a laptop) can also access the web thru any private neighborhood wireless users who don't bother with password protection but I'm too honest to do that. :p

I don't normally take my laptop in the car with me. I was just experimenting one day to see how public wifi operates.

try hotspot website. Some are free, some require fees (or membership)

Wi-FiHotSpotList.com, a directory of public hot spots for finding Wi-Fi wireless Internet access network nodes

free wi-fi hotspots wifi cafes coffee shops hotels airports RV Parks

Or you can use neighborhood "unsecured" wireless. It DOESNT hurt to use theirs briefly like checking Email, chat on AIM briefly, or checking Mapquest or Google Map for directions..

Catty

I don't know where the topic of monthly charges came from, but there should not be any charges.

The information from Reba got in her post #47.

Someday I might be able to buy the Ojo Shadow for $299 but I don't understand why hearing people have to pay a $9.95 per month service charge. If I get an Ojo it will be so I can sign directly with Deaf friends and clients, and not use a relay interpreter. So what's the service charge for?

The Ojo Personal Video Phone - Service

I don't know where the topic of monthly charges came from, but there should not be any charges.

For hearing people:

"How much does it cost?

You may purchase an Ojo starting at $299.99 and subscribe to the Ojo Service for $14.95 per month, or save with a yearly rate of $164. This includes unlimited worldwide Ojo-to-Ojo video calls with video messaging. Ojo video phones can be purchased from our online store. After you receive the Ojo, subscribe to Ojo Service by calling 1-877-FOR-MY-OJO (367-6965)."
Hearing Options for Friends and Family

Also, $9.95/month plus other fees at Worldgate:

The Ojo Personal Video Phone - Service

Back