Oil Painting Went Wrong

My friend loved it! I can see why it's her dad. I believe, she knows bec I asked her what happened to the beach? All she said, call my dad. I did and spoke to him myself. He rambled on that I need to have a prospective in art. He went on about how the subject is outstanding. I said , the beach what happened? He said to me he can't draw oceans.

I have mix emotions, I love how painted my dog she looks perfectly painted. I must say, the background doesn't do me any justice purple and blue mountains?

just accept it and then take it to different artist to repaint the background.

just accept it and then take it to different artist to repaint the background.

Of course, my first thought was don't pay. It's not what I asked for the Ocean is so pretty. The other side said, friendship why hold a grudge against this person and of course, I have every right to be mad. I am doing my best to look at the positive side , it looks like my dog and I am pleased with the art work on my dog. I love my dog. Just wish , he would have told me upfront he is not good with oceans. I would have got someone else to do the job.

Wow, I never knew that any one can paint over the numbers of colors with mural or theatre prop. That is very interesting. Most often the artist can paint without numbers at all. Weird. But if an artist want to put the outlines with numbers for later use so that he or she can paint in the colors that the artist want. It would make sense. I am learning things about that. Cool.

Of course, my first thought was don't pay. It's not what I asked for the Ocean is so pretty. The other side said, friendship why hold a grudge against this person and of course, I have every right to be mad. I am doing my best to look at the positive side , it looks like my dog and I am pleased with the art work on my dog. I love my dog. Just wish , he would have told me upfront he is not good with oceans. I would have got someone else to do the job.
It seems like you're more concerned about maintaining friendship than the father is. He's the one who didn't respect your request.

Personally, I wouldn't accept it because it doesn't fit in with the rest of my home's decor. I can't relate to those fake-looking "mountains" at all. It's distracting. A plain background would be better.

Someone who lives in the mountains might not like it if an artist changed a mountain scene into a beach scene. Same thing. It's not what they ordered, so they don't want it.

Then, some people don't care what the background is, so no problem.

It depends on how you feel about it.

Since you made a thread about it, I'm guessing you're not sure about how you feel.

Let me ask this--can you afford to pay for the picture and then stick it in a drawer or hang it in a closet? If yes, then do it and move on. (That's not holding a grudge.)

On the other hand, if you saved up the money especially so you could get a precious picture of your dog to hang in a place of honor, then you might want to hang on to your money and get someone else to paint it.

And this is why I don't think you should have to pay for the painting . The guy was not honest with and a good artist would not give you all the hogwash about you not understanding art. The guy is try to put this onto you and that is not want I like . If my dad did a painting and I did not like it I would had told him. I think the mountain looks awful . The guy could had a least called you say he having trouble painting the ocean and seeing what you would rather have mountains or a blue background . Give a guy a check for $10.00 and write ' paid in full ' on it.

Wow, I never knew that any one can paint over the numbers of colors with mural or theatre prop. That is very interesting. Most often the artist can paint without numbers at all. Weird. But if an artist want to put the outlines with numbers for later use so that he or she can paint in the colors that the artist want. It would make sense. I am learning things about that. Cool.
Artists don't use Paint by Numbers. It's a hobby product for people who like decorative paintings.

Paint by Numbers before and after

so what have you decided to do then?

I hate to say this but I think that is horrible and not professional at all ! I would not pay a wooden nickel for it! Did you see any of the person art works before having them do the painting? What kind of agreement did you made with this person . If they have an ad saying 'professional artist'

that is a fault advertisement.

"I spoke to him about what happened to the ocean? He said, that he can't draw the ocean good. He said, he painted it (unsure if he did) and it didn't look good , so he painted mountains. He gave me this thing about how the dog was the main object and I need to have a perspective about the art work. He said something I was not clear ( I gave him an 8 x 10 photo) . "

What a load of CRAP! The guy is trying to say it's your fault " for not having an eye for art when in reality the guy can't paint for ****! This is why I say it's not good idea to business with friends or their family . He should had told you" he could not paint oceans vey good. " And he is wrong the ocean is a part of your memory of your dog , you spend time with your dog at the water not the mountain.

I am with you on that part , he gave me some bs about him not being good at drawing oceans. You are right , the memory of me and her at the beach not the mountains

I have to say , 100% of people say don't pay. I feel like just pretending this didn't happen. I have to think it over to find someone who can draw my dog well. All these thoughts race my mind what if someone else can't draw Pork Chop as good as this person( my friend's dad). There is a lady who paints she charges $300 she gave a power point presentation in class about her art work and how much she charges. Not sure if my $300 will be worth it .

I am with you on that part , he gave me some bs about him not being good at drawing oceans. You are right , the memory of me and her at the beach not the mountains

I have to say , 100% of people say don't pay. I feel like just pretending this didn't happen. I have to think it over to find someone who can draw my dog well. All these thoughts race my mind what if someone else can't draw Pork Chop as good as this person( my friend's dad). There is a lady who paints she charges $300 she gave a power point presentation in class about her art work and how much she charges. Not sure if my $300 will be worth it .

Weird I see my real name just checking why and doesn't show Rio

I was not sure who posted this at first b/c of name. LOL! If you're thinking having someone else do a painting ask to see the artist's portfolio of our dogs and have it put in writing just want you want in your painting . The guy is a jerk to me , I don't care if he your best friend dad . He isn't respecting your feeling , this is a photo to remember your beloved dog and it should be just the way you want it. Don't let that bully around with his lame ass excuses , he never had good intentions in the first place , b/c he knew he could NOT paint oceans . I live near the ocean and it's very beautiful so I know how you feel about this.

Yeah, what happened? Was your account hacked?

I am using Tapatalk . I clicked the wrong log in by accident . I signed in w fb not my email

I was not sure who posted this at first b/c of name. LOL! If you're thinking having someone else do a painting ask to see the artist's portfolio of our dogs and have it put in writing just want you want in your painting . The guy is a jerk to me , I don't care if he your best friend dad . He isn't respecting your feeling , this is a photo to remember your beloved dog and it should be just the way you want it. Don't let that bully around with his lame ass excuses , he never had good intentions in the first place , b/c he knew he could NOT paint oceans . I live near the ocean and it's very beautiful so I know how you feel about this.

Exactly . I haven't said nothing in writing to pay him. He did tell me up front if I didn't like it didn't have to pay for it. All verbal no written statement. Only w short letter I sent him with the photo thanking him for doing this job. Nothing more.

This just reminded me of the time some of us were painting sets for a Little Theater play. One gal that taught art at the high school and jr. college level did most of the drawing and others of us filled it in. I made a comment of it reminding me of "Paint by Numbers" and she took a brush and drew numbers on some of it. Oh how I miss those days. The group got away from doing things with the complicated "flats" and that gal has also since died.

Artists don't use Paint by Numbers. It's a hobby product for people who like decorative paintings.

Paint by Numbers before and after

And the way it came up during the set painting was just joking around on one occasion. We did not really use numbers to know what color to paint something.

Exactly . I haven't said nothing in writing to pay him. He did tell me up front if I didn't like it didn't have to pay for it. All verbal no written statement. Only w short letter I sent him with the photo thanking him for doing this job. Nothing more.

Then you do not have to pay for if you're 100 % happy with it, you should be loving it and not having second thought about paying for it.
`A painting last a long time and it should bring pleasure looking at it. My brother in law did a painting of a landscape and I really liked it so he gave it to me. This worked two ways, the person buying the painting enjoy having the painting in their house and the artist feel good that he made money b/c some liked his work. This is only a one way deal here and that is not the way it should be. Both parties should walk away feeling good not only one.

It seems like you're more concerned about maintaining friendship than the father is. He's the one who didn't respect your request.

Personally, I wouldn't accept it because it doesn't fit in with the rest of my home's decor. I can't relate to those fake-looking "mountains" at all. It's distracting. A plain background would be better.

Someone who lives in the mountains might not like it if an artist changed a mountain scene into a beach scene. Same thing. It's not what they ordered, so they don't want it.

Then, some people don't care what the background is, so no problem.

It depends on how you feel about it.

Since you made a thread about it, I'm guessing you're not sure about how you feel.

Let me ask this--can you afford to pay for the picture and then stick it in a drawer or hang it in a closet? If yes, then do it and move on. (That's not holding a grudge.)

On the other hand, if you saved up the money especially so you could get a precious picture of your dog to hang in a place of honor, then you might want to hang on to your money and get someone else to paint it.

I haven't paid for it. Going to take my time and hope this fade away. Things will workout on it's own. He can fuss or whatever later . That's not my probably, losing friendship it is destined to happen.

I would say , 100% of people said don't pay.

I haven't paid for it. Going to take my time and hope this fade away. Things will workout on it's own. He can fuss or whatever later . That's not my probably, losing friendship it is destined to happen.

I would say , 100% of people said don't pay.

you're gonna lose your friendship with your best friend over this painting?

Then you do not have to pay for if you're 100 % happy with it, you should be loving it and not having second thought about paying for it.

`A painting last a long time and it should bring pleasure looking at it. My brother in law did a painting of a landscape and I really liked it so he gave it to me. This worked two ways, the person buying the painting enjoy having the painting in their house and the artist feel good that he made money b/c some liked his work. This is only a one way deal here and that is not the way it should be. Both parties should walk away feeling good not only one.

You are right! Painting is a lifetime and that's what I am paying for. This man decided on his own ideas not mine . I will not pay. He can talk to me later bec not what I want. A lady at work said how ugly purple and blue mountains. The beach is better , she said.
Other real life friends said worse!

Back