Ohio town to allow some employees to bring guns to school

rockin'robin

Reaction score
CLEVELAND (Reuters) - A small town Ohio school board voted unanimously to allow four employees who have permits to carry concealed weapons to bring their guns to school once they have some tactical training, the school superintendent said on Friday.

Jamie Grime, superintendent of the Montpelier Village schools in western Ohio, would not identify the four employees but said they are not teachers.

The Ohio decision comes as school boards and administrators across the country grapple with how to keep students safe following the massacre of 20 small children at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut last month.

The National Rifle Association, which advocates for gun owners, has proposed putting armed guards in every school. President Barack Obama and some other politicians want more controls on the possession and purchases of guns and ammunition.

While some schools nationwide have armed guards or a police presence on the grounds, allowing teachers or school support workers to bear arms is more controversial.

Ohio law leaves the decision of who can carry a gun on school grounds up to the individual districts, provided those who are armed have proper state concealed carry permits.

"It's a crazy world; it's crazy out there. We lock the doors of our school and we pretend it's secure," said Grime, whose three children go to the Montpelier Village school that houses kindergarten through high school students.

The school board in Montpelier Village, a town of 4,100 people, also cited in its decision on Wednesday the shooting at a high school in the town of Chardon near Cleveland last February that claimed the lives of three students.

"The recent shootings have made me re-evaluate my thoughts on how to ensure that our students have a safe place to learn." said Debra Clum, a Montpelier school board member.

Grime said the plan will not go into effect for at least six weeks to give the school district time to conduct an education campaign.

At least two other Ohio school districts -- Tipp City and Springboro -- said they have begun discussing whether to allow armed employees but no decisions have been made.

"We had an organizational meeting last week and we are looking into the legality of the issue of arming employees," said John Kronour, superintendent of the Tipp City school district.

The school board was split on the issue during the discussion last week, Kronour said of the district with five buildings and 2,680 students.

"We would be looking for feedback from the community and wouldn't make a decision without input first," he said.

Springboro school board
member Jim Rigano put the topic on the agenda for Thursday night's meeting, he said.

The debate showed that people were on both sides of the issue though perhaps leaning in favor, said Rigano, who has a concealed carry permit and favors arming school employees.

Since the meeting, Rigano said one employee of the school district with 5,700 students has asked to bring a weapon into the school.

"I wanted to at least start a discussion, a serious discussion," Rigano said. "If the conclusion is that we look at our safety plan and everyone feels that we are safe enough then OK but some people think that conceal carry is a good answer."

Rigano believes that allowing employees to bring guns into schools could be a deterrent to shootings.

"If the shooter believes there is a good chance of encountering someone with a gun that will stop them," he said. "Shooters come in knowing schools are a gun free zone."

In the neighboring state of Pennsylvania, the Butler Area School District, outside of Pittsburgh, had decided to arm security guards four days before the Connecticut shooting. But after the attack, the district accelerated the process, Superintendent Mike Strutt said.

The 14 schools in the district were already monitored by retired police officers. The school district got permission from a judge to allow the officers to carry personal firearms while on school grounds.

"We don't think we're security experts," Strutt said. "We simply did what we thought was best for our school district."

Ohio town to allow some employees to bring guns to school - Yahoo! News

That's good to hear. They could be a janitor, gardener, principal, even a librarian and/or office clerks.

Smart decision and about time!

I would love to see more and more school following this and have a sign up saying "Hey criminals, are you sure there is no gun around here?"

I know the idea of sign won't happen, but if it does, it will be very likely spook the criminals easily.

Good luck - it will not going to stop the mass shooting and it can cause more harm than helping.

Only ability to delay the shooting - trained, armed police officers because they are trained frequently and know about situation with shooting.

Wrong, Foxrac. Let the data accumulation begin. We'll have our answers in about 5-10 years. If you think that the trained school staff would not be able to handle a situation like this, why would they be able to handle a situation at home? You have someone who's after you. You may end up dead if you don't respond in a timely manner. Would you rather save the children, or would you rather end up dead? I'd die trying before becoming a victim, even in an employment situation where I'm not allowed to have a gun on my person.

Remember "Let's roll" on Flight 93? What it's all about is not letting someone violate your rights and your personal sovereignty. One of your rights include being alive. Are you going to let them take that away from you?

End of story.

Wrong, Foxrac. Let the data accumulation begin. We'll have our answers in about 5-10 years. If you think that the trained school staff would not be able to handle a situation like this, why would they be able to handle a situation at home? You have someone who's after you. You may end up dead if you don't respond in a timely manner. Would you rather save the children, or would you rather end up dead? I'd die trying before becoming a victim, even in an employment situation where I'm not allowed to have a gun on my person.

Remember "Let's roll" on Flight 93? What it's all about is not letting someone violate your rights and your personal sovereignty. One of your rights include being alive. Are you going to let them take that away from you?

End of story.

Do you have problem with my opinion?

My opinion doesn't have correct or wrong - my biggest concern is about regular school staffs will not going help with school shooting and they will cause more harm because of problem with accuracy and the situation with shooting can be totally different.

You need to cite the source to support your claim - I need real source about school shooting now, not politically charged from Brady Campaign or NRA. I'm not going believe your existing claim without source. ;)

Do you have problem with my opinion?

My opinion doesn't have correct or wrong - my biggest concern is about regular school staffs will not going help with school shooting and they will cause more harm because of problem with accuracy and the situation with shooting can be totally different.

You need to cite the source to support your claim - I need real source about school shooting now, not politically charged from Brady Campaign or NRA. I'm not going believe your existing claim. ;)

A small town Ohio school board voted unanimously to allow four employees who have permits to carry concealed weapons to bring their guns to school once they have some tactical training, the school superintendent said on Friday.
Which means they can't bring their guns without training. And of course they are not allowed to carry S/A weapons there.

Which means they can't bring their guns without training. And of course they are not allowed to carry S/A weapons there.

Not good enough.

Not all guns are ability to stop the school shooting.

Only armed police officers will do it because they are trained regularly and LEO grade guns.

Not good enough.

Not all guns are ability to stop the school shooting.

Only armed police officers will do it because they are trained regularly and LEO grade guns.
Understandable but it means more taxes for us to pay. What's more, I am sure alot of gun owners have good training through practice at shooting ranges and maybe taking some courses regarding self-defense.

Understandable but it means more taxes for us to pay.

Yes - very possible and we should allocate some education funding for security purposes. The education funding are very overpaid and it doesn't improve the school.

All school staffs should be trained for lockdown and improve the response to school shooting - develop the tactical plan.

Yes - very possible and we should allocate some education funding for security purposes. The education funding are very overpaid and it doesn't improve the school.

All school staffs should be trained for lockdown and improve the response to school shooting - develop the tactical plan.

absolutely not. they should develop DEFENSIVE plan. leave the tactical plan to police.

Understandable but it means more taxes for us to pay. What's more, I am sure alot of gun owners have good training through practice at shooting ranges and maybe taking some courses regarding self-defense.

not really. self-defense training is very expensive and it's typically a 2-3 days course. it's not usually for Joe the Plumber with gun. it's typically taken by LEOs, bodyguards, and security guards.

shooting range means NOTHING when it comes to real-life shooting because a target does not stand still for you.

taking armed defensive course would be useless and a colossal waste of money if you do not practice it regularly.

Really? Then how come some deaf schools closed down? Because we don't have enough funds. 300,000 teachers were laid off last year if I am not wrong.

CLEVELAND (Reuters) - A small town Ohio school board voted unanimously to allow four employees who have permits to carry concealed weapons to bring their guns to school once they have some tactical training, the school superintendent said on Friday.

Jamie Grime, superintendent of the Montpelier Village schools in western Ohio, would not identify the four employees but said they are not teachers.

if not teacher, then who??? janitor?

Can be anyone working there who are not teachers.

that's what I'm asking.

principal? administrative staff? librarian? janitor? cookie lady? I can't fathom the thought of people like that being armed and trained in tactical response because people like that are usually nice folks who wouldn't hurt a fly

Wirelessly posted (BB Curve 9300)

Jiro said:
Can be anyone working there who are not teachers.

that's what I'm asking.

principal? administrative staff? librarian? janitor? cookie lady? I can't fathom the thought of people like that being armed and trained in tactical response because people like that are usually nice folks who wouldn't hurt a fly

Interpreter? ;)

that's what I'm asking.

I know but whoever volunteers so if nobody volunteers, then they need a guard ASAP.

absolutely not. they should develop DEFENSIVE plan. leave the tactical plan to police.

I'm confused about between defensive and tactical so care to explain?

Back