"Oh, you speak so well!" and other annoying comments

You know I completly agree with you. What gets me is when I see some deaf people complaining about having to write stuff down to communicate and imply that the rest of the population should cater to their specific means of communication. You can't have it both ways. If I were deaf I would accept the fact that there are going to be situations where communication will be an issue and make adjustments accordingly. Having the ability to speak and write would be helpful towards that end. As much as it would be optimal, you will never get to a point where the entire hearing population will know how to sign in all of the means that are currently available. It's not a realistic expectation. I'm not saying you have that expectation and it's a general comment.

And don't get me started on the whole Native American issue. It always cracks me up when white people (of which I am one) talk about allowing others into our country. I have to remind them that this country belonged to the Native Americans and we were the outsiders. That could be a thread by itself. Sorry for digressing.

I agree with u. I know out there in public, I have to switch to using my oral skills or writing things down if I dont understand the person. It is when it comes to the education of the deaf is where I strongly believe that sign language should be included along with spoken languages.

You know I completly agree with you. What gets me is when I see some deaf people complaining about having to write stuff down to communicate and imply that the rest of the population should cater to their specific means of communication. You can't have it both ways. If I were deaf I would accept the fact that there are going to be situations where communication will be an issue and make adjustments accordingly. Having the ability to speak and write would be helpful towards that end. As much as it would be optimal, you will never get to a point where the entire hearing population will know how to sign in all of the means that are currently available. It's not a realistic expectation. I'm not saying you have that expectation and it's a general comment.

And don't get me started on the whole Native American issue. It always cracks me up when white people (of which I am one) talk about allowing others into our country. I have to remind them that this country belonged to the Native Americans and we were the outsiders. That could be a thread by itself. Sorry for digressing.

Thank you for sharing my vision on behalf of our Native Americans and also First Nations who have suffer the discrimination of trying to let them know we are first people. That is the way we want to voice our rights to make the government understand us. :ugh3:

I agree with u. I know out there in public, I have to switch to using my oral skills or writing things down if I dont understand the person. It is when it comes to the education of the deaf is where I strongly believe that sign language should be included along with spoken languages.

I was sitting and read this topic. And my eyes caught the bold statement of the quote that I dont agree with this very much since what s wrong with lip movement that we can use our spoken languages without voice in Deaf Education. If, Am I correct that I am thinking of opposite side of yours? .. Spoken langauge is that related to oral method rules that will interfere Deaf children from learning in the classroom as well as you said Dont use your voice with your Hearing children while you are signing ASL with them. I believe it s the same concept for Deaf children s need that should come first before spoken language with voices. I believe it does not really matter anymore. Since most of deafies do get their interpreter that is what I am puzzled about it in classroom or college. It doesnt make any sense to me anymore to have the requirement to use spoken language with voices. I feel that it should be Deaf children s choices to make their own decision to feel the comfort of using their hands with or without voices.

I am curious to see if I get the concept of what you are saying unless I misunderstood you. ;)

Thanks!
Sweetmind

Does every topic have to turn into a topic on education??? :giggle: just joking..

For the defense of hearing people.. most hearing people have very little interaction with deafies.. I would take a guess that the average heariqueng person can count on one hand the number of times they have had a interaction with a deaf person in more context than just simple tasks.. checking out at a store.. ordering food.. things like that..

I would not go so far as to call it ignorance due to the harsh nature of the word.. how about using something like... unaware?

Anyways.. back to the annoying comment part of the topic.. I know more than a few people have had co-workers or aquaintences ask or talk about learning ASL.. One question I remember was a lady I used to work with who did nothing more at the office than go from department to department talking and gossiping.. she walked into my area and just poked around the prototype bench for a few minutes.. than tried to start a discussion regarding ASL.. She mentioned how she has always wanted to learn ASL.. blah blah blah.. but she just didn't have the time.. so.. what was I supposed to do?

I told her that the local Barnes and Noble had a new series of ASL on CD so you can learn in your car on the way to work.. She said something to the effect of thanks..and I'll check it out tonight.. Funny thing... she didn't really come around my design area anymore after that..

Now maybe that was a bit to harsh.. and probably not a good thing to do in regards to ASL.. but damn if it wasn't funny!

Does every topic have to turn into a topic on education??? :giggle: just joking..

For the defense of hearing people.. most hearing people have very little interaction with deafies.. I would take a guess that the average heariqueng person can count on one hand the number of times they have had a interaction with a deaf person in more context than just simple tasks.. checking out at a store.. ordering food.. things like that..

I had normal hearing up until I was 25, completely deaf now, and I would say that I was the first deaf person I ever met, so I can understand the lack of interaction with deafies.

I would not go so far as to call it ignorance due to the harsh nature of the word.. how about using something like... unaware?

Anyways.. back to the annoying comment part of the topic.. I know more than a few people have had co-workers or aquaintences ask or talk about learning ASL.. One question I remember was a lady I used to work with who did nothing more at the office than go from department to department talking and gossiping.. she walked into my area and just poked around the prototype bench for a few minutes.. than tried to start a discussion regarding ASL.. She mentioned how she has always wanted to learn ASL.. blah blah blah.. but she just didn't have the time.. so.. what was I supposed to do?

Its like someone saying they always wanted to learn how to play poker, like most people, its mostly BS that comes out of their mouth just so they can hear themselves talk

I told her that the local Barnes and Noble had a new series of ASL on CD so you can learn in your car on the way to work.. She said something to the effect of thanks..and I'll check it out tonight.. Funny thing... she didn't really come around my design area anymore after that..

Again, they just wanted to hear themselves talk!

Now maybe that was a bit to harsh.. and probably not a good thing to do in regards to ASL.. but damn if it wasn't funny!

I read lips good, still not 100%, I know sign but not fluent, I have some deaf friends, more hearing though. I have gotten the 'oh, you speak so well' from strangers..doesnt bother me, I just speak the same as when I could hear.

At times I feel like I dont really fit in with either side, deaf/hearing. People are more accepting in the GLBT community and seem to know more sign offhand than str8 people at times...guess its a roll of the dice though.

Ultimately, the biggest thing I've learned from going deaf, it doesnt matter what others say, if you dont have to hear it, then its usually BS and toss it aside as such. You dont have to hear the BS to know that its just that, BS :)

Like many others here, the most frequent comment I get is "but you speak so well". the other frequent comments I get are "are you really deaf?" in reference to a button that I wear in public on my purse that says, "lipreader, please speak clearly".

There are lots of similarities between what the Europeans did tothe Indian cultures and what the hearing have done to the deaf. It all goes back to ethnocentrism. I personally find such views to benothing more than arrogant ignorance.

rock on Jill
:whip:

and last night on the dinner table at a relatives freind's. She remarked to me ' well you can talk, if you havent learnt to talk then you can't talk with us" I hated it, but what am I supposed to say to such arrogant hearings? I mean I even said " thats' the arrogancy of hearing people assumming deaf should be talking!" you have no idea how hard it is, (and even when they acknowledges this, they go out on a so-called empathy gestures, but we ALL know well its NOT, it is a veiled patronising shyte) it seems there's no way to get talking thru this brick wall. like some people seem to believe they HAVE a very CLEAR idea of 'what's its all about' but this well-developed knowledge somewhat can equate to a well-developed arrogancy!" Id love to see, or know if there's an article or textbook covering to explain just what is this problem. It surely would be fascinating I'd tell you.
Anthropology is great, but i sometimes worry they are too bent on the 'nice side of descriptive aspect of ethnology', and because of this - I get deeply suspicious that they have nothing to say, or gutless. (is it so they keep their position/job in universities for not rocking the boat?), hmmmm I wonder......

Anyways, :cool:

I was sitting and read this topic. And my eyes caught the bold statement of the quote that I dont agree with this very much since what s wrong with lip movement that we can use our spoken languages without voice in Deaf Education. If, Am I correct that I am thinking of opposite side of yours? .. Spoken langauge is that related to oral method rules that will interfere Deaf children from learning in the classroom as well as you said Dont use your voice with your Hearing children while you are signing ASL with them. I believe it s the same concept for Deaf children s need that should come first before spoken language with voices. I believe it does not really matter anymore. Since most of deafies do get their interpreter that is what I am puzzled about it in classroom or college. It doesnt make any sense to me anymore to have the requirement to use spoken language with voices. I feel that it should be Deaf children s choices to make their own decision to feel the comfort of using their hands with or without voices.

I am curious to see if I get the concept of what you are saying unless I misunderstood you. ;)

Thanks!
Sweetmind

Oh..I NEVER use my voice while signing. Both languages are and will always be kept separate. I use spoken language as a tool because many parents want their children to try to develop spoken language so as long as they support ASL too, then I support their needs for spoken language development. We have many students who can use both languages just fine.

My Number One Annoying Thing:

Person says something to you, you don't know what, but you heard them mumble something. So you ask them to repeat, and they say:

"Oh nothing" or "It doesn't matter"

This really annoys me. I know that people say that sometimes because they think it makes the conversation easier or they don't want to embarass me, but it is the exact opposite. When I first met my BF, he said this, and I told him that it was rude and more embarassing to me - almost saying "your understanding doesn't matter". He never said that again.

I don't get annoyed with questions because I assume people are trying to learn. But I am :eek: at the number who ask me if I drive a car and then say "I didn't think deaf were allowed to drive". Some then say "no offensive, but" (you know it will be offensive when this is said) it wouldn't be safe for them to drive if they couldn't hear. Ok, but it is safe for me. :|

The latest comment Ive received about my deafness or related to actually:

You know you talk like you've got gravel in your mouth half the time you know that?

then I had to explain to him that yes I know I talk like I have gravel in my mouth but I am also deaf. I cant help it if I can't hear how Im sounding.

I don't get annoyed with questions because I assume people are trying to learn. But I am :eek: at the number who ask me if I drive a car and then say "I didn't think deaf were allowed to drive". Some then say "no offensive, but" (you know it will be offensive when this is said) it wouldn't be safe for them to drive if they couldn't hear. Ok, but it is safe for me. :|

Ha, ha yeah. I've been asked this question only once and that was at an online game that I play. I rolled my eyes at this question. He assumed I wouldn't be able to hear sirens hence why I wouldn't be able to drive. You don't need to hear to drive but you do need to see to drive. I said I always watch the cars and do as they act. If they pull over, that's a sign there's some vechile with a siren on. I can't locate the sounds so I just watch my side of the road.

People are more accepting in the GLBT community and seem to know more sign offhand than str8 people at times... :)

It's within the GLBT community that I first met d/hoh people and was exposed to the culture. In my limited experience, it seems the cultures overlap.

It's within the GLBT community that I first met d/hoh people and was exposed to the culture. In my limited experience, it seems the cultures overlap.

I have two friends who are gay (maybe others, but I don't know) and I don't know any lesbians, bis, or trans. So limited expereince, but how do the cultures overlap? I don't mean to argue or offend. I have never seen that statement before and am curious.

:ty:

I have two friends who are gay (maybe others, but I don't know) and I don't know any lesbians, bis, or trans. So limited expereince, but how do the cultures overlap? I don't mean to argue or offend. I have never seen that statement before and am curious.

I'm not so sure, either, but I think s/he meant that s/he might have met deaf people within the GLBT community, or the fact the deaf people are gay, bi, lesbians.

OR

It appears to some people that most percentage or numbers of deaf population are gay, bi, and lesbian.

Truthfully, I don't know exactly.

No offense taken. :)

I'm thinking that the cultures overlap from a standpoint of both being minorities. For me, my experience is within the lesbian community. There, we embrace all that is female, and we don't look at our deaf friends as disabled... we look at them as differently-abled.

I wish all hearing people thought like that. If they did, then all children would go to school together, and ASL classes would be just as important as English classes.

No offense taken. :)

I'm thinking that the cultures overlap from a standpoint of both being minorities. For me, my experience is within the lesbian community. There, we embrace all that is female, and we don't look at our deaf friends as disabled... we look at them as differently-abled.

I wish all hearing people thought like that. If they did, then all children would go to school together, and ASL classes would be just as important as English classes.[/
QUOTE]

Oh, I wish for that too!

rock on Jill
:whip:

and last night on the dinner table at a relatives freind's. She remarked to me ' well you can talk, if you havent learnt to talk then you can't talk with us" I hated it, but what am I supposed to say to such arrogant hearings? I mean I even said " thats' the arrogancy of hearing people assumming deaf should be talking!" you have no idea how hard it is, (and even when they acknowledges this, they go out on a so-called empathy gestures, but we ALL know well its NOT, it is a veiled patronising shyte) it seems there's no way to get talking thru this brick wall. like some people seem to believe they HAVE a very CLEAR idea of 'what's its all about' but this well-developed knowledge somewhat can equate to a well-developed arrogancy!" Id love to see, or know if there's an article or textbook covering to explain just what is this problem. It surely would be fascinating I'd tell you.
Anthropology is great, but i sometimes worry they are too bent on the 'nice side of descriptive aspect of ethnology', and because of this - I get deeply suspicious that they have nothing to say, or gutless. (is it so they keep their position/job in universities for not rocking the boat?), hmmmm I wonder......

Anyways, :cool:

I get what you are saying, grummer. Their lips say, "empathy", but their behavior says. "patronizing".

The one thing I REALLY hate, is when people start to emphasise the movement of their lips, talk like those singers who aren't actually singing but exaggeratedly lip syncing, and they talk twice as loud and get right in my face. I mean... I do appreciate that they're trying to 'help' me, but frankly, even if I needed them to do that, I'm too busy trying to back away from them invading my personal space, not to mention how am I supposed to lipread someone who is right in my face? I can't see much. And anyway, when someone starts doing that, I don't get offended or annoyed til later... instead I have to try my best not to burst into laughter. Some of them make themselves look really stupid.

It's hard for hearing people to know what to do around deaf/hard of hearing people, because there's such a varied way of how the deaf/heard of hearing people are like, that they don't have a clue what's the best thing to do. They don't know what it's like for us, meaning it's hard to understand, and they just do what the first thing that comes to their mind is.

Then you get the idiots who generally just stupid and could do with a little common sense.

We can't win! :D

The one thing I REALLY hate, is when people start to emphasise the movement of their lips, talk like those singers who aren't actually singing but exaggeratedly lip syncing, and they talk twice as loud and get right in my face. I mean... I do appreciate that they're trying to 'help' me, but frankly, even if I needed them to do that, I'm too busy trying to back away from them invading my personal space, not to mention how am I supposed to lipread someone who is right in my face? I can't see much. And anyway, when someone starts doing that, I don't get offended or annoyed til later... instead I have to try my best not to burst into laughter. Some of them make themselves look really stupid.

It's hard for hearing people to know what to do around deaf/hard of hearing people, because there's such a varied way of how the deaf/heard of hearing people are like, that they don't have a clue what's the best thing to do. They don't know what it's like for us, meaning it's hard to understand, and they just do what the first thing that comes to their mind is.

Then you get the idiots who generally just stupid and could do with a little common sense.

We can't win! :D
:lol: Especially the very bottom of your post that didn't get copied here.

Back