Observation

That is true. I have also found that after talking with many others that they share many of the same experiences I have. We even post it here. So it's not necessarily valid for just one. Yet you know some choose to ignore that. :)

Yes. It always blows me away when it is stated that someone's experience is not valid. How can you possibly say that what someone experienced has no meaning. That is just absurd.

The deaf that I have contact with tell of the same type of experiences that the deaf on AD tell about. It can't be a coincidence when so many are saying the same thing.

That is true. I have also found that after talking with many others that they share many of the same experiences I have. We even post it here. So it's not necessarily valid for just one. Yet you know some choose to ignore that. :)

Same here...know so many people with similiar experiences as I do. I used to think I was the only one. It was a relief to discover the Deaf community and connect with others who had that in common with me.

Yes. It always blows me away when it is stated that someone's experience is not valid. How can you possibly say that what someone experienced has no meaning. That is just absurd.

The deaf that I have contact with tell of the same type of experiences that the deaf on AD tell about. It can't be a coincidence when so many are saying the same thing.
Maybe it's also a question of that when some of the deaf that you and some of the other AD'ers are insisting are the "minority" tried to state some of their thoughts, experience or opinions they get shot down and are told that they "have self esteem issues" or "should be ashamed of themselves" or "are bragging" or "have reading comprehension difficulties" or "have low standards" and so on... :roll:

Wirelessly posted

Kids who love to read typically do well anyway. Those who don't will need help with their writing.

I agree. I for one who didn't really like to read during my childhood days. I still have a long way to go by reading more. lol. I know several of my friends who doesn't speak and rely on ASL and they love reading. Their english is pretty good and do very well in school and even they finished MA degrees and a few of them got PhD. :)

The love for books start very young. Parents who cuddle up with their child to read make their children want to keep on reading.

I can easily see my son not reading but we have been reading to him since he was born every night until he became an independent reader. He loves to read now.

Maybe it's also a question of that when some of the deaf that you and some of the other AD'ers are insisting are the "minority" tried to state some of their thoughts, experience or opinions they get shot down and are told that they "have self esteem issues" or "should be ashamed of themselves" or "are bragging" or "have reading comprehension difficulties" or "have low standards" and so on... :roll:

This was my point. It seems like only one deaf perspective is allowed, acknowledged and valued.

If you had a deaf child, would you mainstream him?

This was my point. It seems like only one deaf perspective is allowed, acknowledged and valued.

:confused:

My take on HOH's post is that when we state our thoughts or experiences, we get shot down, et. al. So basically YOUR perspective is the one that's allowed, acknowledged and valued. Not ours.

:confused:

My take on HOH's post is that when we state our thoughts or experiences, we get shot down, et. al. So basically YOUR perspective is the one that's allowed, acknowledged and valued. Not ours.

Right, I think that's exactly what he's saying. There are many here who may have a preference for themselves or their children but accept multiple approaches to communication and education. There are others who believe in one "right" approach for themselves, for their children -- and for all others -- and will shoot down the experiences of those who take a different path.

The point is that research has shown that a majority of deaf people have experienced all these issues so why keep repeating history? Why not do something about it and make it mandatory that all deaf children receive both ASL and English to avoid all these risks? Are people against that?

The point is that research has shown that a majority of deaf people have experienced all these issues so why keep repeating history? Why not do something about it and make it mandatory that all deaf children receive both ASL and English to avoid all these risks? Are people against that?

I agree.

Off the point, it is interesting to watch my two kids. My both kids are hearing. They usually fight to each other, just normal siblings. This morning, my son asked my daughter in signing to say that he wants her to change the channel to watch the different tv shows. Thats SO COOL! See that hearing kids use ASL as well. They both were too tired to talk so they sign instead in the morning.

right, i think that's exactly what he's saying. There are many here who may have a preference for themselves or their children but accept multiple approaches to communication and education. There are others who believe in one "right" approach for themselves, for their children -- and for all others -- and will shoot down the experiences of those who take a different path.
+1

Maybe it's also a question of that some of you may be underestimating that the "past does not equal to the future". And that the "HA's of the past weren't as good as the CI's of the current, especially for the profoundly deaf".

I also get the impression that some of you that are harping on about how difficult it was to grow up deaf and all that may actually be in their 30's, 40's, 50's or even 60's, etc... Just to put it in perspective.

Maybe it's also a question of that some of you may be underestimating that the "past does not equal to the future". And that the "HA's of the past weren't as good as the CI's of the current, especially for the profoundly deaf".

I also get the impression that some of you that are harping on about how difficult it was to grow up deaf and all that may actually be in their 30's, 40's, 50's or even 60's, etc... Just to put it in perspective.

and 20's, teens, and little children.

I am still seeing the same thing happen nowadays with many deaf children. It is a problem and it should never happen. This is about deaf children's rights to equal access in the educational system but many people think it is ok if they dont. I disagree.

Actually, it is more the fact that when their particular opinions are not validated by the majority, they get pissed and overly sensitive, and try to change the opinions and discount the experiences of the majority, rather than accepting the fact that they are indeed, in the minority. Same with hearing parents. They come in here wanting the deaf community to tell them how exceptional they are at parenting their deaf children, and when that is not the case, instead of listening to what the deaf are saying, they try to change the deaf's perspective instead of their own.

No it is that we are seeing the past repeated.

I havent even hit 30 and I have said being deaf is EASY. Read up, buddy bub.

Maybe it may apply to you since you are the one who mentions it based on your experience. It wasn't for me. I was born deaf and use ASL all my life. I do have a life like everyone does. :dunno:

Actually, it is more the fact that when their particular opinions are not validated by the majority, they get pissed and overly sensitive, and try to change the opinions and discount the experiences of the majority, rather than accepting the fact that they are indeed, in the minority. Same with hearing parents. They come in here wanting the deaf community to tell them how exceptional they are at parenting their deaf children, and when that is not the case, instead of listening to what the deaf are saying, they try to change the deaf's perspective instead of their own.
Do you really have the stats to show what would be considered the "majority" or the "minority"? Sometime we come to that conclusion simply based on the people we're surrounded with.

Back