Observation by a hearing person...

I like this technique. Many times people stare because they are fascinated but, if sign language is that foreign to them, it doesn't occur to them that they are actually being rude by staring. It doesn't help them to think positively about sign language and the signing community by being rude right back to them, plus then you're behaving at their level.

Direct eye contact and a sort of "can I help you?" smile has always been my response to the overly curious.

Thanks. I do understand completely as to why they are fascinated and curious about the sign language. Sometime I have been approached by hearing people that are curious but they do not know where to start at in the first place. I am more than glad to help them out by giving them informations or refer them to places that offers ASL classes, so and on.

By having the direct eye contact is one of the way that I believe can brought the message across loud and clear, Also it helps when you look straight at them and making them aware that you know they are looking at you.

It works both ways. When you are being a little bit ironic and they are rudely staring at you then the next thing they know I'm smiling and waving back at them BUT however, If they are simply curious, that approach works very well too.

hmmm.. you know it just might be possible that the hearing guy is staring at you signing becuase he thinks you are a hottie, but has no idea how to break the ice.
In college I rode a bus and many days also on the bus were two really hot women signing. One day I worked up the courage to say hi, hoping that I could talk to one of them. Got no reply, so I never knew if they just thought I was a jerk or what. So 30 years later, I am finally going to learn to sign.

Back