Observation about Audiologists (and other medical professionals)

ecp

Reaction score
You would think that an Audiology Clinic would maybe...have email or tty instead of only a voice phone number.
Or maybe that the staff would be familiar with deafness.
I called my new audiologist's office today using WebCaptel and the receptionist almost hung up on me because I didn't respond because WebCaptel has a delay. I explained this to her and she had no idea what WebCaptel was so I said "It's like Relay or Relay with VCO". She still had no clue.

Another observation is the waiting area of an audiology clinic- why does the receptionist insist upon calling the patient's name? People are there because they CAN'T HEAR WELL. Maybe calling their name isn't smart because they CAN'T HEAR WELL?????????? The layout of one audiology clinic I visited had all the chairs pointed away from the receptionist and towards a TV that DIDN'T have captions.

Also, my former audiologist was a very chatty woman who became exceedingly more chatty right after I handed my hearing aids to her for programming. Luckily that audiologist was cool and wasn't offended when I compared talking to a severely to profoundly deaf patient with out hearing aids to the popular Dentist past time of asking questions when a tool box full of equipment in jammed in your mouth along with his hand.
The chatty audiologist laughed and refrained from talking until I had my BTEs back in.

I do have a strange sense of humor so I probably find these things funnier than other people. But seriously- audiologists work with patients with hearing loss...telling the receptionists that many of the patients CAN'T hear may be wise.

I'm certain that the first thing one learns in Dental school is to jam a bunch of metal in the patient/victim's mouth then begins the grand inquisition.

Hmm, when I go to mine at my local hospital they don't have a TV, the chairs are kind of in a square so some face the door and some don't, and the audiologist comes out and calls your name, although I can understand that many people wouldn't be able to hear this- there were a lot of people talking and I had trouble when it came to my name- I just knew which order I was in, we got little cards with numbers on.

Mine tends to make chit-chat just after I've given her my hearing aids- how are you, what's your job, been anywhere nice lately, that kind of thing, most of which I can hear but sometimes they'll get a smile and a nod.

With all the mistakes audiologists make, it's no wonder that another one of their mistakes is improperly programming/fitting HAs. A few years ago I tried new HAs and he did a rush job and didn't even get my feedback on how well I was hearing, he basically said "I programmed your HAs, go try them for a month then get back to me" I was like "umm but I don't hear better than with my old HAs" he said I just have to get used to the new HAs. Needless to say, I handed them back to him and walked out.

The Phonak Naida V UP HAs I got, I was hearing louder and better right out of the box so I know it was already a step in the right direction. I got my HAs reprogrammed a few times for additional gains which further improved my ability to hear sounds and speech.

melissa, you should get a TEN or PTC test for cochlear dead regions then try transpositional HAs to work around your dead regions. This will improve your ability to hear S, F, TH and high frequencies.

deafdude, I will schedule a test as I think it's been a while since I've had one. Just need to sort out transport for it, as I don't drive and public transport where I live isn't very good. These tests you mention, are they not included in the general audiology tests? I have one where I hear sounds at different freqs/loudnesses and have to press a button on a little controller every time I hear a tone- with and without added background noise to the sound they play. I have also done the bone-conduction tests with those headphones that go around the back of the head and hurt like *******.

How do I know which models are transpositional? Are all digitals capable when programmed, or not? I have Unison 6- can these do that? As I get them free (technically it's on loan) from the NHS I had no choice, I just asked for digital aids and this is what I got.

I emailed my audiologist today asking for copies of my most recent audiograms, for my own info, and said I've been having problems lately so am going to make an appointment. However, I'm meant to clean my aids every day and replace the mic covers every so often, and I've lost the replacement covers and clean them probably once a week.. *hides in shame*.

I think every profession has people who rush and may be rude; cashiers, mechanics, dentists, psychologists- any sort. I have only encountered one psychiatrist in my dealings with mental health professionals, and I found him abrupt and rude. I have also had insensitive psychologists, but now have a very kind person who suits me more. You'd think with very specific professions, audiologists would realise the silliness of calling people's names, dentists would realise you can't tell them about your holiday, and psychologists would make sure to be gentle!

Even better is when they direct you to a PHONE and say 'Call the clinic and let them know you've checked in'... HELLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! See the form? It says "post cochlear implant follow up"...

If I could use the phone I sure as heck wouldn't have a CI! DUH!

As for any receptionist that hangs up on me, I let the owner know and then take my business elsewhere. I've changed dentists and hair salons as a result. Asshats... :(

With all the mistakes audiologists make, it's no wonder that another one of their mistakes is improperly programming/fitting HAs. A few years ago I tried new HAs and he did a rush job and didn't even get my feedback on how well I was hearing, he basically said "I programmed your HAs, go try them for a month then get back to me" I was like "umm but I don't hear better than with my old HAs" he said I just have to get used to the new HAs. Needless to say, I handed them back to him and walked out.

The Phonak Naida V UP HAs I got, I was hearing louder and better right out of the box so I know it was already a step in the right direction. I got my HAs reprogrammed a few times for additional gains which further improved my ability to hear sounds and speech.

melissa, you should get a TEN or PTC test for cochlear dead regions then try transpositional HAs to work around your dead regions. This will improve your ability to hear S, F, TH and high frequencies.

Don't paint all audiologists with this brush. My daughter's audi doesn't EVER rush, or even call our name when it is our turn (even though Miss Kat could hear him just fine) but he walks up to her and greets her face to face. They also have a receptionist who is very familiar with relay, and all his videos have captions activated.

But, in defence, most people with a hearing loss are not Deaf (culturally) they are old and losing their hearing.

yes, I think it is VERY odd that audiologists don't know sign language or any efficient communication with the HOH and deaf.

make me wonder, are they doing this on purpose so we will buy hearing aids? you know, make us feel like our hearing is so bad that we need it.

yes, I think it is VERY odd that audiologists don't know sign language or any efficient communication with the HOH and deaf.

make me wonder, are they doing this on purpose so we will buy hearing aids? you know, make us feel like our hearing is so bad that we need it.

Also, Miss Kat's audiologist knows basic sign.

I think that some people here need to shop around for better audiologists!

easy said than done... especially when so many are like this (majority of them). The only audiologists I know who will communicate through emails and such are the ones who work with CI

COMPLETELY off Topic.

Thanks deafdude for turning my attempt at humor into both a political debate and your own personal "I know more than you" advice column.
If you are going to be giving advice to people and pontificating, go get your freaking AuD.
Until then, let us have a bit of humor about the mistakes all humans make.

Final note- I will NEVER enter into another discussion with you about stem cells curing deafness. I suggest you work in a lab with stem cells for two years before pinning your hopes and giving false hope to people.

Note to everybody: all people have biases and irrational beliefs. I know I do, so don't think that because a person says the same thing many times that they are an expert.

Woah, ok the above is slightly bitchy. Sorry about that. Most of it is being written in a sarcastic tone.

My new audiologist is a CODA, so things should be good. I sort of doubt that audiologists don't learn sign language to sell more hearing aids, though it does make for an interesting conspiracy theory:)

Thanks deafdude for turning my attempt at humor into both a political debate and your own personal "I know more than you" advice column.
If you are going to be giving advice to people and pontificating, go get your freaking AuD.

Final note- I will NEVER enter into another discussion with you about stem cells curing deafness. I suggest you work in a lab with stem cells for two years before pinning your hopes and giving false hope to people.

Note to everybody: all people have biases and irrational beliefs. I know I do, so don't think that because a person says the same thing many times that they are an expert.

Woah, ok the above is slightly bitchy. Sorry about that. Most of it is being written in a sarcastic tone.

Well, said, even if "birchy".:giggle:

And the humor in your original post was duly noted and appreciated. Some need to seriously lighten up.:P

Well, said, even if "birchy".:giggle:

And the humor in your original post was duly noted and appreciated. Some need to seriously lighten up.:P

Thank you. :ty:

Another observation- in my advanced organic chemistry class yesterday the interpreter didn't understand what the professor said so she signed to me "what did the professor say?". I signed back, "How the hell would I know, I'm deaf. Ask a hearing person."
That was enough to make the interpreter start laughing in the middle of class.

Thank you. :ty:

Another observation- in my advanced organic chemistry class yesterday the interpreter didn't understand what the professor said so she signed to me "what did the professor say?". I signed back, "How the hell would I know, I'm deaf. Ask a hearing person."
That was enough to make the interpreter start laughing in the middle of class.

:laugh2: Reminds me of the time I asked my son about his friend, "What did he say?" He gave me "the look" and signed, "Mom, I'm deaf." :Oops:

Wow, I'm glad you've shared. I (as a Audiology student) have learned a lot. Also, some AuD.'s use the greeting (calling the person's name) as a first impression. Not all clients/patients come in with hearing losses (some come with tinnitus, vestibular problems, or just a check up) so it's a good way to get oriented as to the person's hearing level. The secretary/office-worker should know about Relay (etc.) and I hope many of them do, but I would think that there is a learning time (if they are new, since many office-workers come-and-go). As a member of that group, I'd appreciate it if you let me know when (because I will mess-up) I did something 'silly'. Thanks!
I agree that it's strange that audiologists don't know some basic sign, but we have to keep in mind that many are of (or taught by) a previous generation.... There's a little lag time. :/

Wow, I'm glad you've shared. I (as a Audiology student) have learned a lot. Also, might want to know that some AuD.'s use the greeting (calling the person's name) as a first impression. Not all clients/patients come in with hearing losses (some come with tinnitus, vestibular problems, or just a check up) so it's a good way to get oriented as to the person's hearing level. The secretary/office-worker should know about Relay (etc.) and hope many of them do, but I would think that there is a learning time (if they are new, since many office-workers come-and-go). As a member of that group, I'd appreciate it if you let me know when (because I will mess-up) I did something 'silly'. Thanks!
I agree that it's strange that audiologists don't know some basic sign, but we have to keep in mind that many are of (or taught by) a previous generation.... There's a little lag time. :/

Very true. And you have been given the unique opportunity to change that! Make the most of that opportunity.:)

I was only pointing out the mistake my audiologist made a few years ago about not spending the time to properly program my HAs. He lost a customer for this as I didn't buy the HAs. There is nothing to debate here, I just wanted to share my story, period.

This thread isn't even about stem cells and I know you are against stem cells. Let me make my choice and respect my choice. You made your choice and I respect this. We both have our disagreements and can leave it at that.

I never claimed to be an expert. I am just a guy learning about deafness, HAs, treatment, etc. I have my own biases too.

Back