Obesity/overweight

I was pushing 240, Im down to 188 now just cutting down on soda and eating healthier. Id like to reach my ideal weight at 175 by the end of the year.
Marriage does crazy things to your body, but now I can eat healthier on my own.

I used to be obesity and highest weight was around 255 lbs so I lost a lot of weight due to medical flare-up. I'm no longer obesity anymore but just overweight, so my weight is 200 lbs with a lot of muscle.

I'm athlete and play a lot of sports, especially football, basketball, running, walking and dancing, but for food, I usually eat normal meal.

Good job guys!!!

Was it just me or were those maps just shocking? and scarey? I remember a couple weeks ago a friend from NC posted on her facebook that her daughter came home complaing that Michele Obama made them take all the junk food out of the lunch room. I like what they're doing in those towns in Alabama, that's awesome.

I posted in some other thread something I saw on a recipe website. I had been looking for a recipe for a casserole and ended up of Deep South Dish, or something, and in the side bar it said....."thin and wrinkly? Have another helping of banana pudding and fluff that stuff out" :shock: I thought to myself, okay, Im not going to be finding a healthy recipe here....omg. It's no wonder the deep south has the highest obesity rate.

Well - I don't have the source, but I did read recently somewhere that most of the decline in the health and the increase in the weight is due to processed foods and packaged foods. It's not only the large portions that are available everywhere. It's not only the crappy school lunches. It's the "advancements" made so that mothers could also join the workforce when needed and buy the groceries once a week or so. Farmers are now having to add things to the feed for both livestock and crops to get the biggest, meatiest and best they can. All these chemicals are being fed to the consumers and so on and so on.

Good job guys!!!

Was it just me or were those maps just shocking? and scarey? I remember a couple weeks ago a friend from NC posted on her facebook that her daughter came home complaing that Michele Obama made them take all the junk food out of the lunch room. I like what they're doing in those towns in Alabama, that's awesome.

I posted in some other thread something I saw on a recipe website. I had been looking for a recipe for a casserole and ended up of Deep South Dish, or something, and in the side bar it said....."thin and wrinkly? Have another helping of banana pudding and fluff that stuff out" :shock: I thought to myself, okay, Im not going to be finding a healthy recipe here....omg. It's no wonder the deep south has the highest obesity rate.

Yep us southerner (I'm from the south but no longer live there, thank gosh) really love fried food! We deep fry everything and smother it in butter! LOL

I love banana pudding but I'm allergic to banana's now...an allergy I developed from pregnancy...pregnancy does some strange stuff to ones body. Now I can't stop thinking of Cajun fried chicken, mashed potatoes, greens and cornbread...(Does the Homer Simpson drool) and peach cobbler to top it off...a la mode! I think I gain 10 pounds just thinking about that. LOL

I'm only 106 pounds and my doctors told me to gain some weight, maybe I should make some soul food!

Well - I don't have the source, but I did read recently somewhere that most of the decline in the health and the increase in the weight is due to processed foods and packaged foods. It's not only the large portions that are available everywhere. It's not only the crappy school lunches. It's the "advancements" made so that mothers could also join the workforce when needed and buy the groceries once a week or so. Farmers are now having to add things to the feed for both livestock and crops to get the biggest, meatiest and best they can. All these chemicals are being fed to the consumers and so on and so on.

Have you seen what a chicken look like in 1950 vs today??? We feed them tons of hormones to make them fat! It's just insane and portions are completely unbalanced. And then we decide to go off and genetically engineer corn???? Oh yeah, that's going to be good for us.

Something else I have noticed, is children, not only are the fat as hell but they are much larger (mean taller) than kids use to be. There are 10 year old's that are bigger than me! I'm not a tall woman by any means but its just odd when you have elementary school kids that are 5'5 and up. I think it's all the damn hormones they are feeding all the animals that we consume.

Growing up we had a farm, so we always had fresh meat, veggies, fruit, milk and eggs. (and homemade ice cream) None of the process crap we have today. Don't get me wrong, I love soda (which I am quitting) and chips ahoy as much as the next person. But seriously, eating food for every meal that is not fresh and is completely processed is just not healthy. IMHO. And don't get me started on McDonald's and pink slime in meat. *shudders*

Have you seen what a chicken look like in 1950 vs today??? We feed them tons of hormones to make them fat! It's just insane and portions are completely unbalanced. And then we decide to go off and genetically engineer corn???? Oh yeah, that's going to be good for us.

Something else I have noticed, is children, not only are the fat as hell but they are much larger (mean taller) than kids use to be. There are 10 year old's that are bigger than me! I'm not a tall woman by any means but its just odd when you have elementary school kids that are 5'5 and up. I think it's all the damn hormones they are feeding all the animals that we consume.

Growing up we had a farm, so we always had fresh meat, veggies, fruit, milk and eggs. (and homemade ice cream) None of the process crap we have today. Don't get me wrong, I love soda (which I am quitting) and chips ahoy as much as the next person. But seriously, eating food for every meal that is not fresh and is completely processed is just not healthy. IMHO. And don't get me started on McDonald's and pink slime in meat. *shudders*

I think you're exactly right, combined with all the TV and gaming kids aren't as active. I was asking my kids just today about the Paleo diet. I've seen ads for a book that simplifies it, it's basically back to foods hunters and gatherers ate. makes sense to me. Seems we eat a lot of stuff that wasn't meant to be eaten, at least not how we prepare it. I mean.....do loaves of bread and pasta grow on trees? Then that's probably not something we should be eating. I don't think we should corn either though. We can't even digest it, the cellulose in the cell walls of corn is too much to break down, that's why it comes out looking the same way it went in.

Also, I don't think it's just all the fried foods, but damn that can't help, it was the attitude, that you should try to be fat??? holy hell. Sorry about the bananas, I think I'm a little allergic to them to, if I eat them by themsleves they make the roof of my mouth itch, same think with almonds. But both if I eat them with something, like a peanut butter and banana sammich :D I'm kay. I'm lactose intolerant now. Which I kind of think is a good thing. No more cheese or ice cream, while very very sad cuz I love me some dairy, I think I'm better off. I was drinking soymilk but recently switched to almond. it's delicious. MUCH tastier than milk, not tastier than ice cream though sadly lol

I think you're exactly right, combined with all the TV and gaming kids aren't as active. I was asking my kids just today about the Paleo diet. I've seen ads for a book that simplifies it, it's basically back to foods hunters and gatherers ate. makes sense to me. Seems we eat a lot of stuff that wasn't meant to be eaten, at least not how we prepare it. I mean.....do loaves of bread and pasta grow on trees? Then that's probably not something we should be eating. I don't think we should corn either though. We can't even digest it, the cellulose in the cell walls of corn is too much to break down, that's why it comes out looking the same way it went in.

Also, I don't think it's just all the fried foods, but damn that can't help, it was the attitude, that you should try to be fat??? holy hell. Sorry about the bananas, I think I'm a little allergic to them to, if I eat them by themsleves they make the roof of my mouth itch, same think with almonds. But both if I eat them with something, like a peanut butter and banana sammich :D I'm kay. I'm lactose intolerant now. Which I kind of think is a good thing. No more cheese or ice cream, while very very sad cuz I love me some dairy, I think I'm better off. I was drinking soymilk but recently switched to almond. it's delicious. MUCH tastier than milk, not tastier than ice cream though sadly lol

I always did wonder that about corn...going in and out and lookin' the same. I agree with the Paleo diet. I know in this day and age it can be tough to follow but it's worth it. My other complaint is this: To eat healthy, fresh fruits and veggies you pay out the nose for them. It's so damn expensive. But hey, you want to eat high calorie, artery clogging, preservative filled, cardiac inducing food, then by all means that is much more affordable!

I just cannot for the life of me understand why buying an apple is more expensive than a candy bar. Or a sack of oranges cost more than a bag of potato chips. It's unreal. And they wonder why Americans are the fatest in the nation/world. I'm not saying that other countries are not overweight because they are but they do have a much lower obesity rate. And I love how in many parts of Europe you can still get grass/grain fed ONLY meat animals. You can get fresh fruit and veggies that don't have scary pesticides on them. I just hate what we have become as a nation because we are too busy either trying to maintain a lifestyle (aka that big house, new car every 2 years, fancy clothes...etc) or because we are too poor to afford proper nutrition. Its just sad. My husband and I have talked heavily about moving aboard so we can take advantage of certain things; like the grass/grain feed animals and true fresh produce. And FYI, you don't need meat at every meal. Its just not healthy. I'm a huge fan of salad's...although I have my moments where I get a little crazy with the salad dressing. LOL But I love fruit and veggies. Especially carrots and any kind of peppers. I'm on some weird kind of pepper kick right now, I can't seem to get enough of them. I've eaten peppers for every meal for the past 2 or 3 weeks. I love to stuff them with more peppers...lol and lots of different veggies and some cheese, then back them until tender. It's so good. There must be something in the peppers that I have been lacking in my diet.

And you are right, kids are not active anymore. When was the last time you saw kids really playing? They are either texting or playing video games. Remember when we were kids, and we actually used our minds? I loved riding my bike and playing fort (I was a tom boy) and driving our riding lawn mower into the side of the house...don't ask...LMAO. and climbing trees and making mud pies. I was outside all the time doing something and if I wasn't do that, I was reading. (usually outside). We as parents should make our kids get off their lazy butts and do something. If they are this lazy now, what will they be like when they are adults? Wall*E is coming...won't be long before everyone just sits on their butts and has a chair take care of everything.:roll:

Sorry...getting off my soap box now. Now I can sleep....:D

depend on your overweight cause on junk food avoid! that is why avoid on junk food and on caffience serious too much increase, courage lots of execrise more better your control food! that is why!

I was pushing 240, Im down to 188 now just cutting down on soda and eating healthier. Id like to reach my ideal weight at 175 by the end of the year.
Marriage does crazy things to your body, but now I can eat healthier on my own.

Good job! Cutting down on sodas will also cut on tooth decay .

Lately I have been on a Tomatoe and Green Pepper rampage, buying home grown tomatoes that are really meaty and green peppers, dipping in Pepper Ranch or Ceasar Dressing. Also Steamed Broccolli has made some awesome meals lately. Cooked 10 pounds of broccolli last night for a snack and still have some for tonight.... But whooo, the byproducts are rancid...lmao.
As for Corn, why does it go in and out looking the same? I chew that stuff like a cow in the pastures and still ends up expelling in whole kernels?

i wish americans weighed in stones or kilo's i get bit lost on just pounds is that heavy foxrac

Lately I have been on a Tomatoe and Green Pepper rampage, buying home grown tomatoes that are really meaty and green peppers, dipping in Pepper Ranch or Ceasar Dressing. Also Steamed Broccolli has made some awesome meals lately. Cooked 10 pounds of broccolli last night for a snack and still have some for tonight.... But whooo, the byproducts are rancid...lmao.
As for Corn, why does it go in and out looking the same? I chew that stuff like a cow in the pastures and still ends up expelling in whole kernels?

I like red peppers , the green bell peppers you buy in the store are unripened
red peppers.

Back