Obama supports Mosque at Ground Zero

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Jiro.....

Got an extra room? I'm comin' to New York.....

YEEEE HAAAAWWWW

I just sent an email....even offered to do the interior construction for free...

No joke

wow... lets see how it turns out... if anything happens to park51.. like a bomb... you know who...

wow... lets see how it turns out... if anything happens to park51.. like a bomb... you know who...

I have never spent much time worrying about death. I prefer to make fun of death and smack it around a little. It's been rewarding so far.

Plus..... Chicks dig it.

I don't live in NY :lol: and I wouldn't live in NY anyway

But your close...... :lol:

I will just stay in NYC...... Hope there is no open carry ban on nail guns. :)

This should help you understand the construction better:

"King’s statement underscores one of the least understood facts of the new project: there is already a mosque near Ground Zero.

Today, the New York Times reports on Masjid Manhattan (located four blocks from Ground Zero) and Masjid al-Farah (located 12 blocks from Ground Zero):

But what the two mosques have in common — besides the sense of celebration and camaraderie that comes at the beginning of Ramadan, the holiest month of the Islamic calendar, in which Muslims fast from sunup to sundown, give alms and focus on self-improvement — is that both have existed for decades, largely unnoticed, blocks from the World Trade Center site.

The Times goes on to note, “Both mosques — essentially one-room operations — routinely turn people away for lack of space.” And thus, the need for a new, larger location.

The unique aspect of the Cordoba House is not the mosque, but rather the fact it will “house a cultural centre, a 500-seat performing arts centre, culinary school, exhibition space, swimming pool, gym, basketball court, restaurant, library and art studios.” The vision of the project spearheaded by Imam Abdul Faisal Rauf is that it will function like the nearby Jewish-run cultural center, which had a role “in helping the Jewish community become part of mainstream America.” Rauf insists the facility “will serve as a YMCA-type community center for interfaith bridge-building.”

Think Progress Fox Hosts Agree With Obama’s Defense Of Mosque: ‘He Has To Stand Up For Our Constitution’

Update:

Under Fire, Obama Clarifies Support for Ground Zero Mosque

President Obama on Saturday sought to clarify his comments supporting the building of a mosque near ground zero that have ignited a political firestorm ahead of a difficult election season for Democrats.

During a trip to Florida for a family vacation, Obama said his comments on Friday night were only directed at the constitutional right of the mosque to be there.

"I was not commenting and I will not comment on the wisdom of making the decision to put a mosque there," he said in response to a reporter's question after he spoke about efforts to aid the Gulf Coast region. "I was commenting very specifically on the right people have that dates back to our founding. That's what our country is about."

Obama came under instant fire after jumping into the middle of a cultural clash Friday night with comments that have elevated the contentious issue to the presidential level.

White House spokesman Bill Burton released the following statement on behalf of Obama's stance on constructing the mosque.

"Just to be clear, the President is not backing off in any way from the comments he made last night. It is not his role as President to pass judgment on every local project. But it is his responsibility to stand up for the Constitutional principle of religious freedom and equal treatment for all Americans. What he said last night, and reaffirmed today, is that If a church, a synagogue or a Hindu temple can be built on a site, you simply cannot deny that right to those who want to build a Mosque...."
FOXNews.com - Under Fire, Obama Clarifies Support for Ground Zero Mosque

(Side journalistic style note: Why does the President's spokesman capitalize "Mosque" but not church, synagogue, or temple? Was it just a typo? :dunno:)

It appears slips are on sale at Freud's again.... :giggle:

Update:

(Side journalistic style note: Why does the President's spokesman capitalize "Mosque" but not church, synagogue, or temple? Was it just a typo? :dunno:)

Because it is in a title?

What's your source on that? I had read it was at the old Burlinton Coat factory that had to close down after a landing gear fell on it on 9/11. Perhaps there was also a mosque in the same building?

Source came from a friend's post on FB that was referencing one of her friends who happens to be on the planning board for that particular area of Manhattan. Not exactly hearsay, but not exactly concrete, either. Regardless, look at Netrox's recent post. The difference of one or two blocks shouldn't make much of a difference, should it?

Also, people keep forgetting that this is going to be a COMMUNITY CENTER, not a mosque.

Because it is in a title?
The spokesman's quote wasn't part of the title.

"What he said last night, and reaffirmed today, is that If a church, a synagogue or a Hindu temple can be built on a site, you simply cannot deny that right to those who want to build a Mosque."

Maybe it's just another typo. Just odd.

...Also, people keep forgetting that this is going to be a COMMUNITY CENTER, not a mosque.
Why then do the President and his spokesman refer to it as a mosque?

Also, if it's not a mosque but just a community center, then why would the freedom of religion be invoked?

Also, if it's not a mosque but just a community center, then why would the freedom of religion be invoked?

Ironically, the rhetorical questions you are asking pretty much highlight the fact that this whole thing has been distorted and turned into something that everybody has a different interpretation of.

For me, it really doesn't matter. People are free to build whatever they want wherever they want, provided they follow local planning ordinances and building codes. It was the naysayers who brought religion into the discussion.

doesn't mosque want to expand more to build community center?

Ironically, the rhetorical questions you are asking pretty much highlight the fact that this whole thing has been distorted and turned into something that everybody has a different interpretation of.

For me, it really doesn't matter. People are free to build whatever they want wherever they want, provided they follow local planning ordinances and building codes. It was the naysayers who brought religion into the discussion.
Not rhetorical but factual.

Mosques and other houses of worship are covered under the Constitution. Community centers are not.

Source came from a friend's post on FB that was referencing one of her friends who happens to be on the planning board for that particular area of Manhattan. Not exactly hearsay, but not exactly concrete, either. Regardless, look at Netrox's recent post. The difference of one or two blocks shouldn't make much of a difference, should it?
Sounds to me like she was probably talking about the one a few blocks away. I can't buy into that until I hear something more specific. I doubt the Burlington coat factory also had a mosque.

Also, people keep forgetting that this is going to be a COMMUNITY CENTER, not a mosque.
It's a community center with a mosque inside. The developer refers to it repeatedly in this interview.

Q&A with Sharif el-Gamal about Park51, NYC - City of Brass

Sarah Palin twitters pestering Obama to clarify on his position... I mean , what a dumb noob she is.. it does NOT matter HOW SHE FEELS, the Constitution makes it clear, the government has no business to butt in someone's religious rights. She apparently wants to trample someone's religious freedom.

Sarah Palin Twitters, Asks Obama To Answer 'Ground Zero' Mosque Questions

Seriously, no matter how hated Islam is in America, no courts will EVER allow Americans to dictate which religion a person should not have.

God, I really LOVE the Constitution!

The spokesman's quote wasn't part of the title.

"What he said last night, and reaffirmed today, is that If a church, a synagogue or a Hindu temple can be built on a site, you simply cannot deny that right to those who want to build a Mosque."

Maybe it's just another typo. Just odd.

But in the second paragraph it is lower case. It seems just like poor editing to me.

What's your source on that? I had read it was at the old Burlinton Coat factory that had to close down after a landing gear fell on it on 9/11. Perhaps there was also a mosque in the same building?

Building damaged in 9/11 to be mosque for NYC Muslims - USATODAY.com

They get busted ..... every time :giggle:

You would think a "fact" such as a mosque already being there would not go unnoticed by the MSM, especially by those in favor of building a Mosque where there is none.

For those saying I am "spewing" BS ..... try a little harder next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back