notetakers

cdmeggers

Reaction score
Has anybody on here try to use a notetaker for classes at college? How did that work out for you?

I requested a notetaker, a professional notetaker for classes but I didn't see one today when classes started. I asked for a professional, cause I don't want another student to take notes for me.

I have an interpreter, but it would also help if there was a notetaker. I can't lipread/watch the interpreter and take notes at the same time.

Has anybody on here try to use a notetaker for classes at college? How did that work out for you?

I requested a notetaker, a professional notetaker for classes but I didn't see one today when classes started. I asked for a professional, cause I don't want another student to take notes for me.

I have an interpreter, but it would also help if there was a notetaker. I can't lipread/watch the interpreter and take notes at the same time.

Notetakers are no big help.. I was in University... i had two notetakers at every class.. No big help.. You will see,...

Note-takers can be a vital asset for your studies--another plus to your advantage. Of course, there will be at times, some not so good note-takers and some great note-takers....knowing what to expect and the note-takers knowing what you expect also helps. Good luck! ;)

~RR

Yes I did. A couple times the notetakers didn't do well as I expected them to do eventho I've explained to them. Then I had to tell my teacher that I was having problem with it and needs to have a better notetaker because I'm paying for this course to learn and study. The teacher got me a better notetaker. So you may need to tell your teacher about it. Good Luck!

I arrange notetaker services at a major university. We normally use a student in the same class as the student requiring the notetaker, but make every effort to insure that the student doing the notetaking is an A student, and someone with whom the student requiring the notetaker can relate. If you have been assigned a notetaker that isn't working out, discuss the problem with the office of student support. If a student isn't happy with the services we set up, it is my obligation to discuss the problems and try to solve them for the student's best benefit.

Contact your disability student services to ensure the notetakers.
It is their job to accomdate YOU so let them know that the prof notetaker didn't show up-- the office probably didn't know about it.

In my experience, professional notetaker do it better than volunteers. THe volunteers are students with LIVES. they get sick. they don't feel like coming to the class. they memorize differently than you so they skip the dates or names... so you miss out on notes because of those instances.
Professional already know what you need and will come to all classes BECAUSE they are paid to do so.

they memorize differently than you so they skip the dates or names... so you miss out on notes because of those instances.
Or they take notes oddly or have handwriting simlair to a doctor's..............I think that C-Print or pre-pared notes(direct from the profressior) are better then student notetakers........student notetakers suck!

I've had a lot of bad experience with notetakers...the notes are always sloppy and very incomplete...and it often affected my grades on tests. I am considering CART for my notes...so I don't miss anything. And an interpreter so that if I need to say something in class I will be able to.

I've had a lot of bad experience with notetakers...the notes are always sloppy and very incomplete...and it often affected my grades on tests. I am considering CART for my notes...so I don't miss anything. And an interpreter so that if I need to say something in class I will be able to.

Yeah i know what you mean.. while i was a student at University.. I had two notetakers in every class... like two hours in one class ..both notetakers wrote just one page... not enough informations,,

Or they take notes oddly or have handwriting simlair to a doctor's..............I think that C-Print or pre-pared notes(direct from the profressior) are better then student notetakers........student notetakers suck!

This is an excellent solution, and works out well when a professor will cooperate. There are times, though, that their notes are worse than the students if they have been teaching a class for a long time. Their lectures are often times done from memory with only a few handwritten notes for reference. And when class deviates into a discussion, the class will often delve into areas that aren't included in the professor's notes.

At Griffith University, we have a note-taker system. Students from a course where Deaf students are enrolled in, volunteer to take notes - those volunteer notetakers are then trained in notetaking - how to take notes the appropriate way, and so on ... they go through training before each semester starts.

At Griffith University, we have a note-taker system. Students from a course where Deaf students are enrolled in, volunteer to take notes - those volunteer notetakers are then trained in notetaking - how to take notes the appropriate way, and so on ... they go through training before each semester starts.

And they still suck.

And they still suck.

I agree with you..... While i was a student at University of Illinos... i had two notetakers in every class.... and some classes had about 2 hours lectures... Notetakers gave me only half or one full page,,, not much informtions in them..

huh? what is notetakers???

People that are taking notes from a teacher's lectures for Deaf people since Deaf people only has two eyes that need to be focus on interpreters to listen to lectures instead of scribbling incoherent notes. :)

People that are taking notes from a teacher's lectures for Deaf people since Deaf people only has two eyes that need to be focus on interpreters to listen to lectures instead of scribbling incoherent notes. :)

Ohhhh new to me that words :D lol :lol: thanks :D

Why not, calls to ip-relay.com thru ur laptop, pda, cellph or sidekick. Do u think it's possible, can relay opr do a notetaker for u? I tho maybe it's a good idea to try to see if it works out.

Why not, calls to ip-relay.com thru ur laptop, pda, cellph or sidekick. Do u think it's possible, can relay opr do a notetaker for u? I tho maybe it's a good idea to try to see if it works out.

That a good suggest..

I have same problem being failure the class. My teacher thinks that I didn't study well, so I show her from the notetaker and ask her what the reason. She doesn't care about it. Its my problem. I was like.. what.. what do I expect..

Its pretty annony. I am taking class some field that apply the degree. I was disappoint to see that teacher is talking toooooooooo fast and i couldn't handle.. but he use microphone and record and upload on website .. i was like what a idea for me ask disability department office and see if CART is avaiable to listen and typing for me.. hope that will help.

If they don't have microphone.. or anything that teacher provide student a better tool.. better change class or something to deal with it.

DONT BE HERO that you show that we CAN do it. You don't want to fail that class cuz the information is missing.

I heard that RIT hired notetaker.. I was like.. why not same rest other colleges.. THEY HAVE PLENTLY MONEY.

Yes, I did the same thing in the past. I bought a portable microphone recorder abt (1in wide x 3in length) it's not that expensive for my kid to make a copy of his homeworks n' teacher lectures instead of writing by hand but he said that was not allowed to bring it to school any technologies against the law by the school. I got that idea learn from my hoh friend did that make a copy record at his mainstream school when at that time they do not have an terps in 1960's to 70's.

I heard that RIT hired notetaker.. I was like.. why not same rest other colleges.. THEY HAVE PLENTLY MONEY.

Maybe u will have to ask at College Adminstration, Disability Dept Office, Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment or Deaf Services will help to give u more infms abt how to get a notetaker.

Back