No one in Texas wants to hire an interpreter!

Wow! That's a lot of money. I had seen one like this that sells a new one which cost around $350. It was on the internet last year. I was on a basic wheelchair temporary for a few months, and I returned it to the hospital. Perhaps, she could get a used one from a hospital or a nursing home if she is lucky.

Off topic, how about this website? Hoveround » Hoveround Electric Wheelchairs & Electric Scooters I don't know much about it. It says that the company accepts a Medicare.

Wheelchairs are covered by Medicaid/Medicare. All Lucia has to do is get a prescription. Its on her to do that.

Lucia,

I didn't know handicapped placards could only be used in a vehicle that is registered by the person using it in Texas. Here in Wisconsin, anyone who has a placard can use it in any vehicle they drive. My father had a handicapped placard (due to heart problems) and would carry it with him when traveling with other family members. I've even given some thought to getting a placard that my sister can use when she takes me grocery shopping in the winter. Since I can't see, there is a high risk of me falling on the ice and dislodging my implants.

Lucia,

I didn't know handicapped placards could only be used in a vehicle that is registered by the person using it in Texas. Here in Wisconsin, anyone who has a placard can use it in any vehicle they drive. My father had a handicapped placard (due to heart problems) and would carry it with him when traveling with other family members. I've even given some thought to getting a placard that my sister can use when she takes me grocery shopping in the winter. Since I can't see, there is a high risk of me falling on the ice and dislodging my implants.
Actually, I just did some research on the Texas Department of Transportation website and some other places.

You do not have to own a car to use a disabled parking permit in the state of Texas.
Disabled Parking Permits
How to Obtain a Disabled Parking Permit in Texas | eHow.com
Information for Texas Drivers With Disabilities - DMV.ORG
Office of the Governor - Rick Perry

I also learned that Texas has two colors - blue placards for people with mobility disabilities, and red placards for visually disabled and other disabilities. Interesting!

I also learned that Texas has two colors - blue placards for people with mobility disabilities, and red placards for visually disabled and other disabilities. Interesting!

:ty: for sharing this information, Etiole! :) I had no idea that placards were given to those who are visually impaired. I'm definitely going to talk to my sister about this. Thanks again!

By the way, I plan to move to Arizona in a few months, but I'd still like to receive a placard in case I can't relocate as soon as I'd like due to finances.

:ty: for sharing this information, Etiole! :) I had no idea that placards were given to those who are visually impaired. I'm definitely going to talk to my sister about this. Thanks again!

By the way, I plan to move to Arizona in a few months, but I'd still like to receive a placard in case I can't relocate as soon as I'd like due to finances.
I've never heard of it in other states, I know Virginia and Maryland don't have it. But it's definitely available in Texas! Apparently the rules say that if a parking lot has blue and red spaces, you can only park in the assigned color space. If it only has blue spaces, then red placard holders may park in those spaces too.

You definitely do not need to own a car to get a permit in Texas, though. And if you travel in more than one vehicle, you are allowed to transfer the placard between them. The only rule is that if you are NOT in the vehicle, the driver may not use your placard. So Lucia should have no problem getting one if she applies.

I've never heard of it in other states, I know Virginia and Maryland don't have it. But it's definitely available in Texas! Apparently the rules say that if a parking lot has blue and red spaces, you can only park in the assigned color space. If it only has blue spaces, then red placard holders may park in those spaces too.

I just did an Internet search regarding Wisconsin handicapped placards. There are two kinds of placards: a blue placard which must be renewed every 4 years for people with permanent disabilities and a red placard which is valid for 6 months and designed for people with temporary disabilities.

Actually, I just did some research on the Texas Department of Transportation website and some other places.

You do not have to own a car to use a disabled parking permit in the state of Texas.
Disabled Parking Permits

forgive me but red card for visually disabled???? Why is visually-disabled driver driving?? or is it for a car transporting a visually-disabled person?

forgive me but red card for visually disabled???? Why is visually-disabled driver driving?? or is it for a car transporting a visually-disabled person?

I don't know what kind of distinction the state of Texas makes for people who are visually impaired, but those who are VI can and do drive. Many of them use special bioptic lenses to help them see.

The first link I gave says the following qualifies as visually disabled in Texas and may get a red card:

# Visual acuity of 20/200 or less in the better eye with correcting lenses
# Visual acuity of more than 20/200 but with a limited field of vision in which the widest diameter of the visual field subtends an angle of 20 degrees or less

It does not say whether this person is driver or passenger. I would assume anyone who meets the above visual criteria may get the card.

yea, nobody believes me about this. I used to have HC parking permit and I know how they were obtain and what requirements are. I am not surprised about this.

Disabled Parking Permits

This one is correct, Red one is shorter term, and blue is longer term, here is 5 years for blue version and yes 6 mo for red version. And for lifetime, license plate.
I just did an Internet search regarding Wisconsin handicapped placards. There are two kinds of placards: a blue placard which must be renewed every 4 years for people with permanent disabilities and a red placard which is valid for 6 months and designed for people with temporary disabilities.

The first link I gave says the following qualifies as visually disabled in Texas and may get a red card:

It does not say whether this person is driver or passenger. I would assume anyone who meets the above visual criteria may get the card.

:ty: for clarification.

San Antonio? deaf community? I hardly hear from them. I usually know well deaf-community in Austin, DFW, Houston and McAllen/Brownville. But San Antonio? This place are poor deaf community. Lack connect thry network.

I always loathe that city. Great to visit but live there is lousy.

Your thread should said "South Texas sucks"

Houston is part of South. :hmm:

My father needed to explain the fact that he could ride in any vehicle as long as he had his placard because family and friends who were unaware of the law would be afraid of getting a ticket for parking in a handicapped parking space. It would be nice if more people were educated about this, but then again, I had no idea of the law either.

Lucia,

Sorry it took so long to post this info. I've been working fifty hour weeks lately.

If you can find a doctor who understands ASL, perhaps a deaf judge/lawyer could help with your situation. I never had a class with the judge, but I saw him in the ASL lab during my internship and I know he was involved with the Deaf community before my move to KY (Sept 05). I'll try to find a link to his office and post it.

Deaf judge makes impression

Lucia you have every right to be "disturbed" by all of this. Here in Angelo, it's just the same. One terp moved, the other is a 19 yr old college student. I certainly can't take him to most md visits, besides, he also works at another job. Fair seems to have nothing to do with it. San Antonio is awfully close to Corpus, like what - two hours? The Del Mar college there has a terp school. Could you call and ask for a volunteer? You may be surprised. In order to turn in a Dr., you must call the medical board in Austin, you can also email them. Just click on Place a Complaint and this link will take you there, I hope.

Place a Complaint

I suggest using Jillio's well phrased complaint.
Before being diagnosed with MCTD I wanted to be a nurse, was in school to do so, and worked at a local hospital and at a local clinic for a very good Dr. Trust me, complain to the right agency. If they can't help you, ask them who can?? Also, please email the Texas Governor's Committee on People With Disabilities. They have a 711 relay number, etc as well as email. I have used them myself.

I suggest you copy and paste them the same letter as well as one to DARS.

How to contact the Department of Assistive and Rehabilitative Services
DARS - Office for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services

Texas also has a Deaf Advocacy Center. They will often mediate. Try:
http://www.deafactioncentertexas.org/advocacy.html

I also did a check on deaf friendly docs on

Find a Doctor - DeafMD.org

The closest one, as you already know, is in Austin. It is not fair, but I've also been told that I should move to the Austin area. Like who can quit your whole life and restart in an area so expensive? Besides all but one of my kids are here! Tch!

I hope this helps you a bit. Good luck. Keep us posted.

Last edited:
Yep. I have a blue placard. If need be, I can put it in my purse and use it in any car I'm traveling in. Ha, most folks here leave them on the rear view mirror all of the time. I think the red one is a better warning to others. (I know, that was rude, but funny anyway). One old friend who was elderly (89) with cataracts had one. He drove every day to work. (Yep, with the red placard never leaving the rearview mirror).

Back