night photography

2391589091_fa985bae0a.jpg

2391587747_1c47e956ba.jpg

Very cold and shattering outside on windy 8,000 ft mountain west of my hometown. :cold: Difficult and without tripod. My camera sat on surface of my car window in slow exposure. Afraid of dark I could not see, and might someone want to eat me alive! Picture is quite not bad! Picture shows metro cities in northern Colorado glowed in sky, Milky Way, and brightness Jupiter

ahh! It's so beautiful. I feel like I'm dreaming. Smile. In my back mind, it looked that it is being explosive of a nuclear bomb. Don't you think so? It is kind of creepy. What a marvel picture!

wow beautiful pics!!!! that is soooo BREATHTAKING! wow....

My exposure manual is:

Exposure: 20 sec (20)
Aperture: f/3.5
Focal Length: 18 mm
ISO Speed: 800
Exposure Bias: 0/6 EV
Flash: Flash did not fire
Image Width: 3872 pixels
Image Height: 2592 pixels

This size I will put huge frame on wall! And still work more on and wait until warm weather. Windy mountain is very painful for me to struggle I stayed inside to keep me warm! Next time I will bring big flashlights! I could not see far few feet on ground and awesome sky touch upon on me. I was afraid lonely in dark and know there few wilderness animals. Otherwise lower ISO setting failed somewhat in very dark. I will work on later this when warm weather comes this Summer. I know that higher ISO shows noises in pictures and noticed aperture something not right I forget!

Thanks and glad you all love my pictures!

Last edited:
I don't like light. Where are the stars! I wish to live in ancient. I will write to new US President to suggest of my idea for one day in observaton of new Holiday for no lights? Good ideal what will look like beautiful sky over no light cities? Or would be better with field damp to reduce the reflection of lights to the sky?

i know.. i dont like it either.. :( if you are in country you will be able to see the lights more than the city but you still can see the lights from city that would affect the stargazing .. jeez. this definitely sucks.

there is an event already for no lights for one hour which is called Earth Hour and it was on March 29th. See the difference you can make - Earth Hour 2008 It was started in Syndey and now for 2008 it is a global movement. We need to do more of this. You can even create your own Earth Hour event at your hometown? :fingersx:

I also found out there is National Dark-Sky Week (NDSW) which was from march 29 to April 4. Maybe we can ask for that week to have lights turned off so we can look at sky clearly? :)

National Dark-Sky Week » Home

I think that you might try to take a picture of North Star. Set up a tripod, and let it exposure for about 10 minutes with F/2.8. It depends on the city light brights. I hate light pollution at night. I am not sure if you could use a wire shutter for your camera. Don't forget to spot a star at the end of Little Dipper's handle. That's North Star which called Polaris.

If you have some city lights, then I am not exact sure that you could try to set the aperture at F/16 with variety of speed shutters. Maybe, 20 minutes. You may need to cover around the lens - to block the light reflect on the lens. I took the picture of Polaris (about 10 or 20 minutes) when I was 14 years old. My black and white picture came out great.

webexplorer yeah I did showed starrygaze where the North star is. I hope he remember where it is. ha! :P

He will have to do it in mountain with clear viewing with nothing in the way or perhaps at his parents house but then lights are in the way of Northern sky. Maybe you can go North of the hometown and take pictures there that way the lights of Cheyenne will not affect the pictures? I didnt think of that. not bad? eh? :)

The stars pattern in the picture the way I look at it- it is like a person is laying there ... watching over you.. ha.. it look like to me .. maybe you disagree with me but thats ok.. hehe :P

Your post is so cute! I don't mind. hahaha! You are sign up there in sky always I look south every day. She did show me northern sky. I know more everywhere!

Your post is so cute! I don't mind. hahaha! You are sign up there in sky always I look south every day. She did show me northern sky. I know more everywhere!

hahahhaha yeah i always look in northern sky and you look in southern sky? weird.. heh.. :P

:giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle:

Your name, Freaky Cat, will be added on the astrology. I think that you are going to be famous soon.

:giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle:

Your name, Freaky Cat, will be added on the astrology. I think that you are going to be famous soon.

haha i dont want to be famous.. no thanks! lol.. :P

i think im gonna become a :spam: :whistle:

uh oh... :run: and hide now.. :bowlol:

Back