NHS 'is failing babies by delaying ear implants'

Miss-Delectable

Reaction score
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/mai...aid29.xml&sSheet=/news/2005/12/29/ixhome.html

A surgeon who pioneered the use of cochlear implants in Britain has warned that the NHS is failing profoundly deaf babies because of delays in offering them the operation.

The earlier that the implant is carried out to restore hearing the better, according to John Graham, a consultant at the Portland and the Royal National Throat, Nose & Ear Hospital in London who conducted one of the first such operations in Britain in 1982.

Unlike hearing aids, which amplify sound, cochlear implants consist of two parts, using one to pick up sound through an external microphone located behind the ear and transmit sound as a radio signal across the skin to the second part, an implanted receiver that stimulates the auditory nerve.

Mr Graham said that the NHS sometimes left it too late for the implants to have most effect. "There are still children in which this process is not as quick as it should be. Ideally all children who need a cochlear implant should be referred to a cochlear implant team by the age of one."

George Barnes, aged eight months, was lucky that his deafness was detected soon after birth by the recently introduced screening test for the newborn (Universal Neonatal Hearing screening), a nationwide test.

But there can be delays because subsequent tests must follow to determine how deaf the child is, since the implants are only used on the profoundly deaf. Although the NHS pays for the implants, at least £30,000 for a child, there are still cases where children are referred relatively late.

George's parents, Brad and Katie Barnes, went private to ensure he had the operation early. "We are having some problems with primary care trusts in funding them," Mr Graham said. "Some have delayed the funding of children which is very bad because it impacts on the whole of the child's life."

Although screening of newborns is improving, Philippa Palmer, director of health and community equipment services of the deaf charity, RNID, said: "Northern Ireland, for example, has not got anything in place." She added that "commissioning of services has not been good in relation to cochlear implants".

In the London area, "some hospitals have closed their books to kids", with the exception of children who lose their hearing due to meningitis. "For the first time, in the last year or so, we have seen some children having difficulty in getting access to the cochlear implants."

In the first four or five years of life, a baby's brain develops rapidly, laying down the nerve pathways that will be used during the rest of its life. If no information reaches the brain from the ear and nerve of hearing, the nerve pathway will not be formed.

A cochlear implant for a child born deaf should be provided before the child is four, if that child is to get the maximum benefit. The earlier the operation the better the result, as close to one year of age as possible.

Once implanted, the hearing pathways have to develop in the brain and success still depends a great deal of work by the team, including patient, parents, audiological scientist, speech therapist, teacher of the deaf, and others. It allows access to sound, but the patient has to learn to make use of the new sound.

Prof David Ryugo, of Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, Maryland, said: "There is an optimal time window for implants if they are to avoid permanent rewiring of hearing stations in the brain and the long-term effects on language learning that can result." His research team recommends that the devices be installed by the age of two.

This is a Catch 22 situation for everyone. It's suggested that kids get cochlear implants at young age. It's ethical to let kids make their own choice when they are older.

If CIs are given at young age, they do better. Yet, will they be happy that this decision was made for them.

If CIs are given at later age, they have a hard time. Yet, they made their own choice.

Which is better?

One of the things that annoys me to NO END is that many experts are pushing early as possible implantation.......but is hearing as an infant REALLY that vital? Many if not most if not ALL of us here, didn't hear as kids and we've done fine!
Actually Vampy, I totally see your POV.....but on the other hand, I have seen hearing parents ask their toddlers if they want a CI!

deafdyke said:
One of the things that annoys me to NO END is that many experts are pushing early as possible implantation.......but is hearing as an infant REALLY that vital? Many if not most if not ALL of us here, didn't hear as kids and we've done fine!
Actually Vampy, I totally see your POV.....but on the other hand, I have seen hearing parents ask their toddlers if they want a CI!

I am a hearing parent of a deaf 2 year old child, who just recently got his CI. When the suggestion was first made I was stuck inbetween wanting him to hear now, because of the fact that toddlers learn as such a rapid speed, or make the choice on his own when he got older. After a lot of thought about it we decided to go through with it, but with the understanding of both my husband and me, that when he gets older and decides that he doesn't want it anymore than we won't force him to wear his CI. I'm not saying that you have to hear as a child, I know adults that have never heard anything and it hasn't stopped him from anything, but I do think that it's the parents choice as long as they also know that when their child grows up it then becomes their choice.

Whenever I read something like this, I'm torn. I don't think hearing is a dangerous thing to have, it can be very useful at times, but I also don't like how people seem to think that the CI is a 'cure' for deafness. The child will still be deaf, even with the implant. I think that the CI is a useful, even good, technology, I just don't like how the doctors and audiologists are pitching it to hearing parents.

Ellie, Just to clarify.....I'm not nessarily anti-implantation of toddlers. There are some cases where hearing aids just don't work. In those cases the parents can opt for implantation. It's just that I'm concerned that some people are jumping the gun on implantation. There's nothing wrong with implanting a little kid who doesn't get too much benifit from hearing aids!

deafdyke said:
Ellie, Just to clarify.....I'm not nessarily anti-implantation of toddlers. There are some cases where hearing aids just don't work. In those cases the parents can opt for implantation. It's just that I'm concerned that some people are jumping the gun on implantation. There's nothing wrong with implanting a little kid who doesn't get too much benifit from hearing aids!
I know that you aren't anit-implantation of toddlers, we've talked about it before, John's aids weren't working for him, so we decided to try the CI and so far so good, I also agree with Teresh. Doctors are trying to make it sound like the CI will cure deafness, and that's why some hearing parents are all for it. I know John is still deaf with his CI, but I also know that without it he could never hear anything and since we did have the option for him to hear some we decided that we'd try it, but I still plan on sending him to school to learn sign and I want him, and my husband and I, to be very much involved in the deaf commuinty.

I definitly wish more parents were like you.....You really honestly rock!!!!!

deafdyke said:
I definitly wish more parents were like you.....You really honestly rock!!!!!

Thank you, but I'm just doing what I got to do for my son, and my family.

I think the implant as early as posable thing is a bit shal I say bunk, when I was born I could not hear anything at all due to an infecton my hearing is not the best now even though I picked up langue a bit late I still got it kid with parent that care are going to do better then I did but I personaly think that it is a childs right to chose because of all the risks in vaulved I personaly wouldent want all that stuff stuck in my head, I m a bit of and anti hole drilled in the head type simply becase i know if CI were around when I was a kid and one was stuck in me I could not get all those MRI's but that a whole nother thred, I think learnering has a lot les to to do with hearing then people think, Deaf people tend to be very vishulae people any way I think hat 9 moths with out hearing helps that part of the brain alot, I do have a problem tho with children not being refred to the audioligest soon so thay can see what other services that may nead I know it's comon to be born with infections and dameged eardrums witch in some case is very treatable and some doctors that sdont specilize don't allway catc it.

sorry i guess I was ranting.
I 'll stop now.

Back