Newly HOH

philliphart

Reaction score
Hi, I am 27. Have had progressive hearing loss for years. Took ASL in high school and am still good at signing. I have an audiologist exam next week to see exactly where I am at in loss. The original Dr said it could be progressive to correct my first sentence. I know that being HOH isn't hard. I can still listen to music, on full volume. Can't listen to my mom on the phone as well which is good sometimes, luckily she has taken up texting. I am a little scared though that as I get older the hearing loss will continue to decline. I have already looked into getting more help with ASL just to be prepared, but it seems I am out of luck. I can't afford college or private tutoring, and from what I understand Texas don't provide help with that after the age of 21, or does anyone know any differently? I just have so many questions for the Dr. and maybe some other HOH people can help, like will the ringing in my ears go away with hearing aids? I think the Dr said it was tinnitus or something like that. Will the popping that my ears do constantly, ever stop? And how long before I will be completely Deaf if I ever actually do go completely deaf. Seeing as I am an ALDA, how do I keep my voice, or should I eventually stop using it. Thanks Philliphart!

Hello and welcome aboard, Philliphart! :wave:

:wave:...welcome aboard!...Late-deafened here...and yeah...my voice is a "keeper".

Welcome

Hi, I am 27. Have had progressive hearing loss for years. Took ASL in high school and am still good at signing. I have an audiologist exam next week to see exactly where I am at in loss. The original Dr said it could be progressive to correct my first sentence. I know that being HOH isn't hard. I can still listen to music, on full volume. Can't listen to my mom on the phone as well which is good sometimes, luckily she has taken up texting. I am a little scared though that as I get older the hearing loss will continue to decline. I have already looked into getting more help with ASL just to be prepared, but it seems I am out of luck. I can't afford college or private tutoring, and from what I understand Texas don't provide help with that after the age of 21, or does anyone know any differently? I just have so many questions for the Dr. and maybe some other HOH people can help, like will the ringing in my ears go away with hearing aids? I think the Dr said it was tinnitus or something like that. Will the popping that my ears do constantly, ever stop? And how long before I will be completely Deaf if I ever actually do go completely deaf. Seeing as I am an ALDA, how do I keep my voice, or should I eventually stop using it. Thanks Philliphart!

You came to the right place for your answers. I lost my hearing over night so I had no time to prepare. My case is apparently fairly rare as I lost all of my hearing. Hearing aids will not help. According to my Dr. The ringing, loud humming and popping are permanent. I personally hope to always be able to speak and not go "voice off". Your decision. Ask questions. I received more answers here than from my DR. Good luck. :angel:

Welcome Philliphart! I actually wouldn't call you an ALDA...More like a young adult who was late deafened and is Deaf friendly! Are you finding it a lot easier to adjust with at least a knowledge of ASL?

deafdyke I am finding it a lot easier knowing ASL. I can say I was once pretty fluent in it, and have retained most. I actually, and am pretty sure my mom is happy that I can finally hopefully get hearing aids. I am sure she is tired of me blasting the TV. And my sister took ASL in high school too so if I do go fully deaf or when I do we can sign. Its fun to see kids I knew in high school that were in German or Spanish classes, and they could maybe tell you a few basic words. And I took sign language, and can actually care on conversations with other folks. The challenge now that I face is the pain from the ringing and popping.

Welcome :). If you can't afford you can apply for FAFSA. If you qualify you can get a grant for school. That is how I am able to go to school. I am 38.

I do have to say that I think it's awesome that young adults who lose their hearing as young adults, are being all "OMG I'm dhh....that means I can learn ASL!"

Back