Newbie - Opinions re: CI for 2yr old son

Yes, activation and mapping happens at the same time. For a child your child's age he will have about 3 mapping sessions the first week you wait a month go back for another mapping session wait 3 months and then go back. Recovery is usually very easy. My 16 year old had his second implant surgery about 4 weeks ago. When he woke from surgery he said he wanted to go home now. I said you need to eat and go to the bathroom he did that within 30 minutes and said OK let's go home now. He was taking out the trash the day of surgery.
My son has been aided on both ears for about 8 months now. I edited my original post at the end to clarify my intentions.

Does the activation and mapping happen at the same time? I don't know the step by step process except what i've been told by other people.

I get great reliable customer service with Cochlear, if I need a part replaced I am able to have a replacement sent to me and I get it within 48 hours or 72 hours at the most. It used to be several days but the wait time for replacements are getting shorter and shorter, with better air mail service and great customer service from Cochlear and how the whole thing is done (they used to have to send the replacement to the audiologist and have the audiologist map it and then the audiologist would have to send it on to me but now all the maps from all audiologists for all Cochlear patients can be sent to Cochlear via the internet so when we need a replacement Cochlear just uploads the current maps onto the new replacement themselves right away and then sends it off!) And when we get the replacement part we just send the damaged part back to them in a package they have sent to me at no charge. It costs absolutely nothing for me for shipping! It might have to do with the fact that I live a couple states from Colorado, where the USA Cochlear headquarters are.

Hello!! Nobody can tell you which CI company to pick, it is entirely up to you. You would be better off listing the pro and con's like somebody suggested and also maybe contacting the CI companies and getting them to tell you info about them! I feel Cochlear is better for little kids. But i might be wrong!! Good luck to both you and your son!!

I have cochlear and i think it is great!! Cochlear has many options to wear the implant, there is a babyworn pack that the child could have on their back, or a little bte specially made for little kids. There is a flashing on the LCD constantly to let you know that the CI is workin which puts parents' mind at rest and not having to worry if the implant is working!

Let us know how you get on and let us know what you pick if you don't mind!!

Hi Mom2Jace,

Feel free to take a look at Drew's blog, Turn On My Ears!

We have many of our feelings, trial and error, and other issues and topics on there that occurred from our initial discovery of his hearing loss, through implantation and now the beginning of his IEP process. I thought it might help you some (others have told us that it has).

Hi everyone! I have not logged in in many months, but just popped in to say hi. Drew is doing very well, and I hope all of you are as well. Hope your summer is going great! Drew just caught his first fish ever last week...the first time he touched a fishing pole. To him, it's just a matter of dropping a lure into the water, and "poof", a fish appears.

Talk with you later,

Drew's Dad

Back