new to this site

bellebabyk

Reaction score
Hello, im new to this site. im looking for new friends. i am learning asl and eventually would like to have a career where i can use asl. i am trying to learn how to navigate this site.

Hello, and welcome.

I see you're from New Hampshire. What a beautiful state! Do you ski, by any chance? I used to ski a lot in NH years ago when I lived in Boston.

Anyway, welcome. I'm a pretty new AD member myself. Please enjoy reading around in the various threads, whatever strikes your fancy, and don't hesitate to join in any conversation. Good to see you here.

im finding it all very intresting. im learning what can be frustrating to the deaf community by my "hearies" faults. i am learning asl because of new friends and have become very intrested in it. i think its a beautiful language and im eager to learn. nope i dont ski i think i would get hurt, im the LEAST graceful thing in this world. i walk into things i should have seen but didnt.thank you for your response

You're welcome. :wave:

I was actually a ski instructor for a while, back in my hot-shot days. Those days are long gone, however. :(

Hi there and welcome to AllDeaf. :)

I too am afraid to ski for sake of falling and breaking something my first time.... that's normally how it works, right? :lol:

that's normally how it works, right?

Seriously? No, not at all. At some point early on, if you have a good instructor, you will learn how to fall without hurting yourself (hint: you want to fall in a way to distribute your weight as much as possible. You do NOT want to take all your falling weight on one knee, one hand, one elbow, that sort of thing. Spread the force is the key.)

Then you learn the snowplow, which is stable as can be, and gradually move toward putting your skis together in parallel.

I skied for about 20 years, and only ever had one serious fall that hurt my knee. (See note above about not wanting to take all the weight on one knee...) Nothing broken, ever. There is no feeling like skiing in all the world. Closest thing you can get to flying while still having both feet (mostly) on the ground. I really loved it.

Apologies to OP for hijacking thread...

Hello! My name is Shauna and I too am new to this site. I am from Chicago, IL. I am a teacher and I am taking classes to become an interpreter. I need people to sign to/with.

me tooo

hello my name is angel im also learning asl ive taken a couple and am teaching my first signing class for babies and would love to have someone to practice with

i dont have cam or skype or anything like that at all. i wish i did because i think it would nice to have more practise. :wave:

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. I hope you enjoy reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

Seriously? No, not at all. At some point early on, if you have a good instructor, you will learn how to fall without hurting yourself (hint: you want to fall in a way to distribute your weight as much as possible. You do NOT want to take all your falling weight on one knee, one hand, one elbow, that sort of thing. Spread the force is the key.)

Then you learn the snowplow, which is stable as can be, and gradually move toward putting your skis together in parallel.

I skied for about 20 years, and only ever had one serious fall that hurt my knee. (See note above about not wanting to take all the weight on one knee...) Nothing broken, ever. There is no feeling like skiing in all the world. Closest thing you can get to flying while still having both feet (mostly) on the ground. I really loved it.

Apologies to OP for hijacking thread...

It was meant as a joke. ;)

Back