New to this Site

Summer_Lynn

Reaction score
I was googling a question, and I happened to stumble across this site, and I want to post my experiences and a couple of questions, I've never really be on a HOH/Deaf support site:

I'm hearing impaired and 19, I have to wear a hearing aid in both ears, but I hate them things, the only time I actually wear them is when I have to, like when I'm in a professors class who is soft-spoken. A lot of people don't understand me when I tell them right off the bat that I'm hearing impaired. They think they need to treat me different or something, that's when I was in middle school (in grade school, they teased me for that stupid F.M box, that I HAD to wear in middle school too) and then in high school they wondered why I'm so quiet and soft spoken.

Needless to say I didn't have a good elementary and middle school experience with those, when I got to high school, I put my foot down and told them I didn't want the F.M anymore, that I wanted to wear my regular aids. My dad backed me up on that one, since I get my hearing impairment from him and he gets it from his mother who got it from her father and so on (at this rate, If I have any sons, they'll be hearing impaired too).

Now I'm in college, and I wear them for two classes, if I wear them longer than 7-10 hours, my ears really start to hurt, I can hear fine in them and they're aren't too tight or loose, but it just hurts the skin around them sometimes. In my dorm, they placed me and my roommate in a room with a fire alarm inside it, and I have to place my phone beside me all night to hear the alarm to go off of a morning. I have however, pretty much taught myself how to lip read, and I CAN hear the t.v, but it takes a second or two to hear the words, but I watch my T.v and movies with the closed caption.

I'm also thinking about taking a Sign Language class for my second semester as a Freshmen, but I'm not sure yet, what does anyone else think? I do see deaf students on my campus with sign interpreters with them, and I don't have any in my class, expect one girl that is HOH like I am, and I do want to make more friends like that, since all of my friends are hearing, and most of my family, expect my dad who wears one hearing aid. I had asked him, and he confirmed that my hearing is Moderate, with my left hearing slightly worse than the right, I'm making a checkup soon, since it has been 4 years since I last went.

BQ: Hypothetically speaking, say if I ended up with a hearing guy, what would the chances be that my sons or daughters come to be HOH (Following the pattern that I'm HOH, my Dad is HOH, his mom is also and she got it from her dad). And if I ended up with another HOH guy or deaf? I'm just curious.

Last edited:
I was googling a question, and I happened to stumble across this site, and I want to post my experiences and a couple of questions, I've never really be on a HOH/Deaf support site:

I'm hearing impaired and 19, I have to wear a hearing aid in both ears, but I hate them things, the only time I actually wear them is when I have to, like when I'm in a professors class who is soft-spoken. A lot of people don't understand me when I tell them right off the bat that I'm hearing impaired. They think they need to treat me different or something, that's when I was in middle school (in grade school, they teased me for that stupid F.M box, that I HAD to wear in middle school too) and then in high school they wondered why I'm so quiet and soft spoken.

Needless to say I didn't have a good elementary and middle school experience with those, when I got to high school, I put my foot down and told them I didn't want the F.M anymore, that I wanted to wear my regular aids. My dad backed me up on that one, since I get my hearing impairment from him and he gets it from his mother who got it from her father and so on (at this rate, If I have any sons, they'll be hearing impaired too).

Now I'm in college, and I wear them for two classes, if I wear them longer than 7-10 hours, my ears really start to hurt, I can hear fine in them and they're aren't too tight or loose, but it just hurts the skin around them sometimes. In my dorm, they placed me and my roommate in a room with a fire alarm inside it, and I have to place my phone beside me all night to hear the alarm to go off of a morning. I have however, pretty much taught myself how to lip read, and I CAN hear the t.v, but it takes a second or two to hear the words, but I watch my T.v and movies with the closed caption.

I'm also thinking about taking a Sign Language class for my second semester as a Freshmen, but I'm not sure yet, what does anyone else think? I do see deaf students on my campus with sign interpreters with them, and I don't have any in my class, expect one girl that is HOH like I am, and I do want to make more friends like that, since all of my friends are hearing, and most of my family, expect my dad who wears one hearing aid. I had asked him, and he confirmed that my hearing is Moderate, with my left hearing slightly worse than the right, I'm making a checkup soon, since it has been 4 years since I last went.

BQ: Hypothetically speaking, say if I ended up with a hearing guy, what would the chances be that my sons or daughters come to be HOH (Following the pattern that I'm HOH, my Dad is HOH, his mom is also and she got it from her dad). And if I ended up with another HOH guy or deaf? I'm just curious.

Please keep in mind that more than one of us is deaf/blind here and use a dark font for a long post.

As for your question, study Mendel's law, and also you can get genetic testing before having children.

FYI-- those pink letters made it just a tad hard to read, and I don't have great eyesight, either.

Yes, you should learn ASL, because it'll open you up to wonderful things.

And welcome to AllDeaf. Hope you enjoy your stay here.

Even those of us with good vision are going to end up with eye strain if we read too much of this low-contrast bright lettering. :cool2:

Even those of us with good vision are going to end up with eye strain if we read too much of this low-contrast bright lettering. :cool2:

Agreed. That's why I leave the lettering alone here. Don't need fixing what doesn't need fixing, or something along those lines.

Welcome! :wave:

and I have to place my phone beside me all night to hear the alarm to go off of a morning.

When I don't have access to my Sonic Alert alarm clock and have to use my phone for the alarm, I put the phone under my pillow so it vibrates when the alarm goes off; I don't know if this would work for you or not.

I didn't realize about the light font, I just changed it, sorry.

When I don't have access to my Sonic Alert alarm clock and have to use my phone for the alarm, I put the phone under my pillow so it vibrates when the alarm goes off; I don't know if this would work for you or not.

I usually have my phone on my bed, and the noise and vibrations go off, handy when I'm taking naps in between exams.

I didn't realize about the light font, I just changed it, sorry.

I usually have my phone on my bed, and the noise and vibrations go off, handy when I'm taking naps in between exams.

No worries. You're new, and you'll learn quick enough. I'm still new, but I've been a busy bee.

I personally think that you should take ASL, because it helps so much to clarify if you don't understand something well. Plus you get to meet so many different people. I grew up similar to the childhood you had and I learned sign when I was younger but since I was put into mainstream classes, I haven't signed because no one in my family knows, so I was always around hearing people which caused me to "forget" my language but I continued to work at it. So now, I'm currently in college and more fluent in ASL than I ever was in my life.

So yes, I think you should. It opens up lots of
Doors for you. :)

-Julia

I personally think that you should take ASL, because it helps so much to clarify if you don't understand something well. Plus you get to meet so many different people. I grew up similar to the childhood you had and I learned sign when I was younger but since I was put into mainstream classes, I haven't signed because no one in my family knows, so I was always around hearing people which caused me to "forget" my language but I continued to work at it. So now, I'm currently in college and more fluent in ASL than I ever was in my life.

Doors for you. :)

-Julia

I agree. I learned ASL at 2, but lost use of it during 10 years of mainstream schooling, and regained it back in 2001, and today, I am more fluent than ever before.

Doors for you.
:)

-Julia

That is what I did when I graduated from mainstream high school 41 years ago. :D

I've always been to a regular school, but I of course had an IEP, including math goals, that I still haven't exactly mastered, I suck at math and science, and I still hate both of those subjects to this day. But grade school, even though I had friends, they made me wear that horrible body box aids thingy, whatever it's called, I don't have very good memories of it. The only time I was allowed to take it off was at P.E, recess and before I went home, that thing was almost like torture, and one of the reasons why I don't like wearing hearing aids, but I'm trying to get back into that, starting with a new appointment to change my molds. Though I haven't exactly settled on the color, the actual aid is a light (Carolina) blue.

I've always been to a regular school, but I of course had an IEP, including math goals, that I still haven't exactly mastered, I suck at math and science, and I still hate both of those subjects to this day. But grade school, even though I had friends, they made me wear that horrible body box aids thingy, whatever it's called, I don't have very good memories of it. The only time I was allowed to take it off was at P.E, recess and before I went home, that thing was almost like torture, and one of the reasons why I don't like wearing hearing aids, but I'm trying to get back into that, starting with a new appointment to change my molds. Though I haven't exactly settled on the color, the actual aid is a light (Carolina) blue.

I actually did away with hearing aides a few years back, because of my sensitivity to sound, and I find I focus much better with quietness, and I can finish my tasks quicker. Mind you, I'm not trying to influence you-- just sharing my personal experience, that's all.

I don't wear mine half the time (And my grandma gets so annoyed with me over that) and I only wear them when I really have so, for instances, if any of my professors are soft spoken, I do, but if they're loud, I don't even though with some people, I keep asking "What" and "Hmm" or just ignore them, I should really keep leaving them in.

I don't wear mine half the time (And my grandma gets so annoyed with me over that) and I only wear them when I really have so, for instances, if any of my professors are soft spoken, I do, but if they're loud, I don't even though with some people, I keep asking "What" and "Hmm" or just ignore them, I should really keep leaving them in.

That's up to you, but it varies by case and by person.

welcome to AD! I'm annoyed with my right ear just now (it's kinda plugged up due to the wax. *ik YUCK!* hopefully I'll be able to upgrade next month :D

I'm not exactly bright at math either.......Have functional abilty but still not very bright in that area......I thought they got rid of the box/body worn FMs AGES ago?!? A few suggestions....if you want to become fluent in ASL, why not transfer to Gally,or NTID? You'd be immersed in the language AND you'd get connections to dhh friendly employers,which in turn would make it lots easier to get a job:.Gallaudet University and .http://www.ntid.rit.edu/..There are a TON of HOH and oral deaf folks who transfer to Gally or NTID nowadays......Too bad you didn't post a few years ago....could have attended MSSD for high school (NCSD isn't the best)

I thought they got rid of the box/body worn FMs AGES ago?!?

I wore it about 12 years ago when I was in first grade and I think I wore it in Second too. But that was a long time ago.

Welcome! :wave:

haha my cell phone alarm seems silly and creative compared with all of yours! I don't wake up to my cell phone one bit.... so I put the alarm on "bark" and let the dogs jump all over me if I nap on the couch hahaha

welcome!

Back