New to This, Hoping for Some Direction

nichohio

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am new to this and, to be honest, I can't remember the last time I posted on an internet forum (lol). I have had a suspicion that something has been wrong with my hearing for about the last five years, and it has finally gotten to the point that I can no longer ignore it. I am no longer able to use a phone in the "traditional" method (I have to use a Bluetooth device in my ear with the volume turned all the way up). I also realized about 1.5 years ago that I had somehow learned to read lips to pick up on what is being said. For example, if we are having a conversation I have to be able to see your lips to be able to understand what you are saying. Recently I have noticed a sound similar to white noise that I constantly "hear". There have also been a variety of other symptoms I have had that ultimately led me to see an audiologist this week.

I had mentioned these issues to my GP and she looked in my ears and said everything looked OK and not to worry about it. I thought about it and decided to see an audiologist for a hearing test and was hoping it was all in my head. I went yesterday and "failed" the test (I was a little shocked in the appointment and I didn't ask enough questions so I don't know where I fall on the spectrum). On the graph of the test (reading it left to right) I was below the line where she wrote OK? on everything and the line went down further as you go along with both ears being about the same. The high point of the graph was 35 and it dropped down to about 80 ish (the only reason I remember the 35 for sure is that I thought it was my age at first).

After briefly reviewing the test results, she put a pair of Oticon Intiga (I know the brand is correct and I think the model is correct, I don't believe it was the Alta). When she turned those things on......all I can say is WOW!!!! The whole room came alive in a way that I did not even know was possible! It was an eye opening experience and I really had not realized how bad my hearing had gotten until that moment. The best way I was able to describe it to my wife was like this (we are both very near sighted): Imagine that you have been walking around for several years without your glasses and one day someone places a pair on you and suddenly everything pops into clarity. That is honestly the best analogy that I can come up with.

So, I have a few questions and I have tried perusing the boards, but can't find the answers I'm looking for. First of all, are they generally able to tell you why you are experiencing hearing loss? My audiologist just said it was permanent and it could get worse. I'm also wondering about hearing aids, clearly I want them and I have been researching the major brands and it seems like the new Resounds that are made for iPhone would be the best fit for me. Literally knowing nothing about hearing aids before yesterday, how does one decide before such a major purchase (still have a little sticker shock here)? Features are important to me (Bluetooth integration is huge), but other than that it seems that all of the major brands make a good product, so what have been deciding factors for some of you? Is it a good idea to buy something on the used market?

Sorry this post is so long and has so many questions. By the way, I am a 35 year old working professional with a wife and a 9 year old daughter. Thank you in advance for any help you can provide!

Thank You,

Nich

Take care of it now it only money if you can I been in the same boat and still there I went threw #2 sets of aids first set set me back 9000 paid half and got it on a payments plan #2set I paid close to 10000 with all the goody the secon set only lasted a year that’s when my wife decided to leave when that happen my hearing keep dropping weekly to a point of no return then just resently I went for a cochlear inplant ooooo boy hat was heaven in a hand bag first day I was pickin up people that were talking on sellphones and clear up I only talked on blue tooth before and last 6 7 months I could not even do that tell I got my coclear inplant now if you talking normal I can use the phone again text is my best friend now when you buy aids watch out for back ground noise try to buy higher end and from now on even with out aids try to still we’re protection I was just like you my fav word was What

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this and, to be honest, I can't remember the last time I posted on an internet forum (lol). I have had a suspicion that something has been wrong with my hearing for about the last five years, and it has finally gotten to the point that I can no longer ignore it. I am no longer able to use a phone in the "traditional" method (I have to use a Bluetooth device in my ear with the volume turned all the way up). I also realized about 1.5 years ago that I had somehow learned to read lips to pick up on what is being said. For example, if we are having a conversation I have to be able to see your lips to be able to understand what you are saying. Recently I have noticed a sound similar to white noise that I constantly "hear". There have also been a variety of other symptoms I have had that ultimately led me to see an audiologist this week.

I had mentioned these issues to my GP and she looked in my ears and said everything looked OK and not to worry about it. I thought about it and decided to see an audiologist for a hearing test and was hoping it was all in my head. I went yesterday and "failed" the test (I was a little shocked in the appointment and I didn't ask enough questions so I don't know where I fall on the spectrum). On the graph of the test (reading it left to right) I was below the line where she wrote OK? on everything and the line went down further as you go along with both ears being about the same. The high point of the graph was 35 and it dropped down to about 80 ish (the only reason I remember the 35 for sure is that I thought it was my age at first).

After briefly reviewing the test results, she put a pair of Oticon Intiga (I know the brand is correct and I think the model is correct, I don't believe it was the Alta). When she turned those things on......all I can say is WOW!!!! The whole room came alive in a way that I did not even know was possible! It was an eye opening experience and I really had not realized how bad my hearing had gotten until that moment. The best way I was able to describe it to my wife was like this (we are both very near sighted): Imagine that you have been walking around for several years without your glasses and one day someone places a pair on you and suddenly everything pops into clarity. That is honestly the best analogy that I can come up with.

So, I have a few questions and I have tried perusing the boards, but can't find the answers I'm looking for. First of all, are they generally able to tell you why you are experiencing hearing loss? My audiologist just said it was permanent and it could get worse. I'm also wondering about hearing aids, clearly I want them and I have been researching the major brands and it seems like the new Resounds that are made for iPhone would be the best fit for me. Literally knowing nothing about hearing aids before yesterday, how does one decide before such a major purchase (still have a little sticker shock here)? Features are important to me (Bluetooth integration is huge), but other than that it seems that all of the major brands make a good product, so what have been deciding factors for some of you? Is it a good idea to buy something on the used market?

Sorry this post is so long and has so many questions. By the way, I am a 35 year old working professional with a wife and a 9 year old daughter. Thank you in advance for any help you can provide!

Thank You,

Nich
Can you post your audiogram? Does hearing loss run in your family? Did they test for otosclerosis?

If you live near a Costco give them a try. Their HA's are very good and about half the cost of what you would pay from an audiologist. I believe most if not all of their HA's have Bluetooth capability. They also have a long trial period and if you decide you don't want them they will give you all your money back. For me I found Phonak to have a mechanical sound to them, but Oticon, Bernafon and Resound all sounded very natural. Good luck.

Get yourself to an Otolaryngologist as soon as possible (if you have not already). The audiologist is selling freaking hearing aids.

What is the medical condition, is it repairable?...That is what you want to know.

Go to a good name university hospital, if one is nearby. (Just don't let students/interns work on you...Ever).

You got a family to support...This is going to affect your work big time...believe me. If you cannot hear at meetings, clients discussions, etc....you are going to stop progressing in your job. ...I've been there. And this Americans with Disabilities Act bullshit is not going to help you... If you got a hearing problem, get it taken care of.

Welcome :wave:

Thanks for your detailed story.

I agree with seb that Costco is good place to go for good affordable hearing aids if there is one within a reasonable distance. Even if there is one a bit far the amount spent on gas and time is far less than the overpriced aids elsewhere. They don't sell everything, but it is worth checking them out.

It doesn't hurt to do some further investigation of the cause but...there may not be any clear cause. There is a lot of idiopathic (a.k.a. I don't know) hearing loss so too many test focusing on the why just delays accepting your new state of being.

Back