New to the Deaf Community

Mommakitten

Reaction score
Hello all! My name is Kat, and I am from Cincinnati, OH, but we are moving to Tampa, FL in the summer. I am HH in my left ear, but I am hearing in my right ear. I have not decided to go back for a hearing test since I found out that I was HH when I was 9, I have just learned to cope with it, and I have always overcompensated with my right ear.
I am attending school here in Cincinnati, and I am in the Interpreter Program for ASL, and I am looking forward to meeting people in that area, and I am looking forward to meeting people in the deaf community as well. My ASL is still very rusty, but I do know enough to get by.
Is anyone here from that area? How are the activities there? Here in Cincinnati, we have Deaf Coffee chats, Silent Dinners, etc.
I am really looking forward to moving, and I am also looking forward to chatting with everyone on here!:wave:

Hi, we have quite a few people from Florida, but I don't remember who is from Tampa.

Welcome, mommakitten! Why don't you get a hearing aid for your left ear? Just curious. Seems like it would be a big help. Hope that you enjoy your time here at AD! :welcome:

I am in Florida, just wrong coast. You might need to hear from BabyBlue.

I am not sure why I had forgotten to mention this, I have twins boys who were born 3 months early, they failed their first 2 hearing tests, and at 17 months they finally had PE tubes placed. They go to speech once a week, and they will have another hearing test done on Feb 5th. We suspect that they still have some hearing loss. The twins are almost 28 months now, and they know a lot of signs. I requested when they started speech, that every word that they taught them, they also taught them the sign as well. I sign to them in English word order for now, this way they can understand English grammar. They have become very fluent in signing, and sign almost every word that they say, and sometimes if they can not voice the word, they will at least sign the word instead of pointing. But I would love to look into a Bi-Bi school for them, if there is one locally there near Tampa.

Thanks for the warm welcomes everyone! :D

Welcome, mommakitten! Why don't you get a hearing aid for your left ear? Just curious. Seems like it would be a big help. Hope that you enjoy your time here at AD! :welcome:
I have gone over 20 years now without hearing in that ear. I have so much scarring from having a lot of ear infections when I was little, and I have had doctors even ask me when they examine me when I get ear infections now if I have thought about getting a hearing aid, and I have just gotten used to not having to use my left ear, that I figure that I just don't need to use it now. ;)

I am not sure why I had forgotten to mention this, I have twins boys who were born 3 months early, they failed their first 2 hearing tests, and at 17 months they finally had PE tubes placed. They go to speech once a week, and they will have another hearing test done on Feb 5th. We suspect that they still have some hearing loss. The twins are almost 28 months now, and they know a lot of signs. I requested when they started speech, that every word that they taught them, they also taught them the sign as well. I sign to them in English word order for now, this way they can understand English grammar. They have become very fluent in signing, and sign almost every word that they say, and sometimes if they can not voice the word, they will at least sign the word instead of pointing. But I would love to look into a Bi-Bi school for them, if there is one locally there near Tampa.

Thanks for the warm welcomes everyone! :D

St Augustine is the location of FSDB and it is considered very good.

Hello, MommaK and welcome to AD. So you have what's called single-sided deafness?

Home
Deaf Services Bureau in West Central Florida, Inc. in Tampa

dhctb.org
Tampa Bay Deaf and Hearing Connection

Deaf Services
Deaf Services for the Tampa Area

Deaf Service Center of Southwest Florida
Deaf Service Center of SW Florida in Tampa

I hope these website will help you find what you need in the Tampa Area.

I just love playing on the internet and looking up things for AllDeaf.

Back