New To Hearing Aids

Alissa

Reaction score
hello all-

If there is another thread that answers this please let me know.

my hearing loss has gotten worse over the past year and my audiologist suggested I get hearing aids. Phonak V70.. I know nothing about hearing aids or the questions I need ask. anyone have suggestions? I feel so lost and I have no one who's been through this. Do I just take her word on the brand and type?

Phonak is good, I have Niadas. Just don't expect perfect hearing no Hearing Aid can provide that but they do make things much easier. The best tip is be patient and realistic.

hello all-

If there is another thread that answers this please let me know.

my hearing loss has gotten worse over the past year and my audiologist suggested I get hearing aids. Phonak V70.. I know nothing about hearing aids or the questions I need ask. anyone have suggestions? I feel so lost and I have no one who's been through this. Do I just take her word on the brand and type?

Since this is your first time dealing with your hearing loss and hearing aids I would get a book on hearing loss and hearing aids and begin to educate yourself so you will understand what your audiologist is doing and what is going on with your hearing. One book that I have read that is very good is: Fitting and Dispensing Hearing Aids by Taylor and Mueller.

Another thing to do once you get your HA's is to keep a journal listing any problems you are having and when you are having them and show it to your audi on each visit, it will help them make the necessary adjustments.

As to which HA's are the best, there are none that are really the best because everyone hears differently and what sounds good to one person won't sound good to another person. Give the Phonaks a try and see how it goes, if they work out for you great! If you can't get used to how they sound don't be afraid to tell your audi that you want to try something else. Good luck!

Ask about the hearing aids guarantee , how long can you try and return them if you don't like them. I know a guy that paid for HA out of his pockets and wasn't able to wear both of them and he was stuck with a HA that couldn't be returned. Seb gave you some pretty good advice .

i quit wearing my hearing aids in many years ago and i m proud being deaf to deal with the customers every day.faced tough and easy one.

Also look into side products for each ones if wanted. I got oticon and later got the streamer pro which was amazing because I could get phone calls, tv, and people talking straight through my hearing aids with no back ground noise but I have to wear it around my neck at all times, I had to get a blue tooth mic for voice and a different box thing for TV. The whole set up cost about $1500. But the new resounds I am getting don't need all of that.
Also look into battery life or if you want rechargeable like seaman. Don't just go with what your audie recommends because they get huge kick backs to push brands. Shop around or see of you can test drive a few, a lot of little audie offices do that.

Phonak is good, I have Niadas. Just don't expect perfect hearing no Hearing Aid can provide that but they do make things much easier. The best tip is be patient and realistic.

Since this is your first time dealing with your hearing loss and hearing aids I would get a book on hearing loss and hearing aids and begin to educate yourself so you will understand what your audiologist is doing and what is going on with your hearing. One book that I have read that is very good is: Fitting and Dispensing Hearing Aids by Taylor and Mueller.

Another thing to do once you get your HA's is to keep a journal listing any problems you are having and when you are having them and show it to your audi on each visit, it will help them make the necessary adjustments.

As to which HA's are the best, there are none that are really the best because everyone hears differently and what sounds good to one person won't sound good to another person. Give the Phonaks a try and see how it goes, if they work out for you great! If you can't get used to how they sound don't be afraid to tell your audi that you want to try something else. Good luck!
Thanks! I'll check out the book- I have a starting point now

How much does one hearing aid cost? A hearing aid that doesn't have any fancy things to it like a programmable remote or any of that. Tried it and never found the remote useful or necessary. It was years ago though.

Is it true that you get to try them for 30 days or get your full money back?

Last edited:
That's a lot of money to waste if it doesn't help much. Guess talking to the audiologist would be a good start to find out.

Back