New to ASL from 63376

ellsworth252

Reaction score
Hey everyone, My name is Twiggy and I am hearing teaching myself and my Fiancee Signed English untill I start the Deaf Comm. Program in Aug. I don't know anyone in the Deaf Comm. or any H/H or Deaf people so learning all on my own is hard. It is nice my Fiancee is willing to let me teach him as I learn so I have someone to practice with but I would love to meet some people that would like to practice with me or just chat on skype or facetime. I am a fun person that has a pasion for ASL and is having a really hard time making friends in this wonderful comm.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

Please be aware that "signed english" and ASL are completely different. ASL is the fully formed Signed language used in Canada and the USA, "Signed English" is a mode used in some educational settings, but generally not within the Deaf Community (because SE/SEE isn't actually a language at all).

If you want to learn sign - start learning ASL from the start, especially if you actually want to communicate with Deaf/Hoh Signers in the Deaf Community.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

Please be aware that "signed english" and ASL are completely different. ASL is the fully formed Signed language used in Canada and the USA, "Signed English" is a mode used in some educational settings, but generally not within the Deaf Community (because SE/SEE isn't actually a language at all).

If you want to learn sign - start learning ASL from the start, especially if you actually want to communicate with Deaf/Hoh Signers in the Deaf Community.
Thank you, and yes I do understand the difference. I am trying to learn ASL but the word order is hard for me but I am trying. That is why I am wanting to find someone to practice with.

You just have to learn to speak like Yoda and then sign the result <-Kidding! :)

Hey everyone, My name is Twiggy and I am hearing teaching myself and my Fiancee Signed English untill I start the Deaf Comm. Program in Aug. I don't know anyone in the Deaf Comm. or any H/H or Deaf people so learning all on my own is hard. It is nice my Fiancee is willing to let me teach him as I learn so I have someone to practice with but I would love to meet some people that would like to practice with me or just chat on skype or facetime. I am a fun person that has a pasion for ASL and is having a really hard time making friends in this wonderful comm.
I am also on start-american-sign-language.com and have found someone in my town that would like to maybe try and meet up and practice. maybe atart a group together. Would anyone like to join? We are in St. Charles County MO. It would be great if someone that is fluent in Sign would join us. They could keep us from learning this all wrong. Anyone interested?

Hey! Still learning my self

Hey! My name is Brandon and my girlfriend of almost 2 years is Deaf. One year I spent away on deployment but I am always willing to Skype or FaceTime to practice ASL and meet new people. My Skype is brandondingo Feel free to add me! Thanks! Brandon

found out not to long ago deaf people don't like it to be referred to as talking like yoda...wondering if that is true..?

Bingo!!! Also for hearing on CI is like Darth Vader or robot which is not hearing. LOL :cool2:

Back