New Signers' Funny Mistakes

:D This just happened last night !!! The whole thing with the f*** word ... I was out with deaf and hearing friends last night. My deaf friend was signing to some of our hearing friends about his "work" and they were trying to duplicate his sign, but it came out as f***. Funny !!! :D

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMn64gtHE9w]YouTube - ASL person sign wrong... what you do[/ame]

I thought this video was an interesting piece.

Hear Again - In the video, To summarize what the guy said in the video - He is basically asking "How do we approach a new signer?" For instance, If a new signer signs a "wrong" sign without actually knowing that it is the "wrong" sign, Do we leave them alone and let them learn the mistakes on their own or do we respond with the correct sign in order for the new signer to learn their mistakes?

YouTube - ASL person sign wrong... what you do

I thought this video was an interesting piece.

Hear Again - In the video, To summarize what the guy said in the video - He is basically asking "How do we approach a new signer?" For instance, If a new signer signs a "wrong" sign without actually knowing that it is the "wrong" sign, Do we leave them alone and let them learn the mistakes on their own or do we respond with the correct sign in order for the new signer to learn their mistakes?

Jolie,

Thanks for the description of the video. :) What is his opinion? Does he think new signers should be corrected on their mistakes?

I'm of the opinion that they should. The longer a new signer continues to make mistakes, the harder those mistakes are to correct.

Here is one from my husband he did tonight. In a group he was trying to tell everyone about how I am going to get a crown on my broken tooth next Tuesday, but he got a little over excited on the sign "Tuesday" so everyone was laughing pretty hard as it looked like he was communicating that I would get my tooth repaired in the bathroom!

Here is one from my husband he did tonight. In a group he was trying to tell everyone about how I am going to get a crown on my broken tooth next Tuesday, but he got a little over excited on the sign "Tuesday" so everyone was laughing pretty hard as it looked like he was communicating that I would get my tooth repaired in the bathroom!

:laugh2:

Jolie,

Thanks for the description of the video. :) What is his opinion? Does he think new signers should be corrected on their mistakes?

I'm of the opinion that they should. The longer a new signer continues to make mistakes, the harder those mistakes are to correct.

You're welcome, Hear Again.

The guy in the video stated that he would be there to correct the new signer's mistakes in a nice approach.

As for myself, I certainly would correct them and show them the right sign because in the long run, it would save them a lot of embarrassment.

You're welcome, Hear Again.

The guy in the video stated that he would be there to correct the new signer's mistakes in a nice approach.

As for myself, I certainly would correct them and show them the right sign because in the long run, it would save them a lot of embarrassment.

Good point, Jolie. :)

You may remember my post above in which I said that I accidentally signed f*** instead of "work." If my sign language instructor didn't correct me on that mistake, it would have caused me a great deal of embarrassment. :Oops: I'm just thankful she brought that mistake to my attention. :)

Good point, Jolie. :)

You may remember my post above in which I said that I accidentally signed f*** instead of "work." If my sign language instructor didn't correct me on that mistake, it would have caused me a great deal of embarrassment. :Oops: I'm just thankful she brought that mistake to my attention. :)

Precisely.

It's funny because my mom kept repeatedly signed "vacuum" as in "fucking backwards". I could not stop laughing at what she was saying. She was perplexed and said "What did I say?" I said "Mom, You're signing doggy style". Boy, She was really beet red in the face! So, now to this date, She knows how to sign "vacuum" correctly. :lol:

Precisely.

It's funny because my mom kept repeatedly signed "vacuum" as in "fucking backwards". I could not stop laughing at what she was saying. She was perplexed and said "What did I say?" I said "Mom, You're signing doggy style". Boy, She was really beet red in the face! So, now to this date, She knows how to sign "vacuum" correctly. :lol:

That's hilarious, Jolie! :laugh2:

Tonight I was out and a hearing person who was trying to make a nice gesture and sign "happy halloween" accidently signed "happy slut" to me and several of my deaf friends. It was fairly hilarious. We corrected her and we all laughed pretty hard.

I'm not even sure if I should even say this, but I swear to you I am not making this up! I went to my sister's for a Halloween party she invited me too, and it was totally hearing. My sister was the only one there who knew sign, and I was the only one there who had no hearing. Anyway, suddenly, well from what it looked like to me, suddenly, her husband walked out the door and drove away. I asked my sister where he went. She signed back, "Begging vagina pie?" I suddenly remembered there was supposed to be pizza at this party. I still don't know where the first two words came from (perhaps some strange way of saying pepperoni????????), but I'm sure "pie" was supposed to be "pizza," so I showed her one of the many ways to sign pizza, but I didn't get around to the rest of it because she got interrupted. He later returned with pepperoni pizza.

My dad asked me if I was a toilet today. I think "toilet" is his favourite sign since he's learned it.

:giggle:

What was he actually trying to sign? "Tuesday?" If so, I can see how those two signs can be easily confused.

Haha, that's possible! I just made a joke out of it and asked him if he liked toilets, then my mom came in the room and changed the subject. :giggle: I should go down and tell him today is Monday.

My sister once tried to say "help her" (as with the left hand palm up and the sideways "A" on top) during a class presentation and instead she signed "sh*t", the teacher noticed, and he wasn't amused but he's cool so he didn't say anything but I could not stop laughing.

Okay, I'll admit to my recent one. I went out with a deaf friend who's Indian, and he ordered Indian food, so I explained that I don't like it because it's too spicy. So he showed me the sign for spicy, which he does as a 5 hand coming from under the chin while wiggling the fingers.

Next time we went out, there were a few of us, and I was asking him how to say "peppers", and my friend responded by moving a 5 hand with wiggling fingers horizontally to the side....

Needless to say I got laughed at a lot for thinking that was the sign. :giggle:

Ok get this, growing up in front of Deaf adults, I was exposed to "graphic ASL" meaning the signing of schwang was really out there to see!

A new signer mistook the sign of the large schwang as "milkshake". Much later on, we were ordering and I decided to allow the new signer to order for us and she signed that "huge schwang" sign for milkshake!

Who said deaf people can't shriek?! :giggle:

Ok get this, growing up in front of Deaf adults, I was exposed to "graphic ASL" meaning the signing of schwang was really out there to see!

A new signer mistook the sign of the large schwang as "milkshake". Much later on, we were ordering and I decided to allow the new signer to order for us and she signed that "huge schwang" sign for milkshake!

Who said deaf people can't shriek?! :giggle:

"Schwang?" :confused:

Okay, I'll admit to my recent one. I went out with a deaf friend who's Indian, and he ordered Indian food, so I explained that I don't like it because it's too spicy. So he showed me the sign for spicy, which he does as a 5 hand coming from under the chin while wiggling the fingers.

Next time we went out, there were a few of us, and I was asking him how to say "peppers", and my friend responded by moving a 5 hand with wiggling fingers horizontally to the side....

Needless to say I got laughed at a lot for thinking that was the sign. :giggle:

:giggle:

Back