New RID test--is it passable???

It needs to be determined by (hopefully) SCOTUS.

How is the US Supreme Court is determining this?

The US federal government has the ADA that requires "effective communication", including "qualified interpreters".

The Title II regulation defines a qualified interpreter as one who is able "to interpret effectively, accurately, and impartially both receptively and expressively, using any necessary specialized vocabulary." 28 C.F.R. Section 35.104. In its Analysis, the Justice Department cautions that this definition does not limit or invalidate state-imposed interpreter standards that are more stringent than the ADA's definition. Thus, if a state requires its court interpreters to be certified, such requirement is not superseded by the ADA.

(from Sound Choice Assistive Listening and the ADA - Communications Accomodations Project: EFFECTIVE COMMUNICATION FOR DEAF INDIVIDUALS IN STATE AND LOCAL COURTS; OBLIGATIONS UNDER THE AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT)

NAD has interesting information on states laws with interpreters, but nothing about the Supreme Court.

From NAD: Developing State Legislation on Certifying and Licensing Interpreters

The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) basically gives deaf and hard of hearing individuals the right to a qualified interpreter. However, the definition of "qualified interpreter" is very broad and does not establish the standards for the interpreters before they are hired to provide interpreting services. Some states passed laws to further define the "qualified interpreter" by establishing the standards. The standards established by these states are greatly varied. A few states recognize certifications from both NAD and RID, some states recognize certifications from only RID, and some states do not even honor any nationally recognized certifications. Moreover, many states do not recognize both certifications from NAD and RID in all settings such as legal, administrative proceedings, education, and private and public entities. Most states recognize both certifications for only one or two settings. There are only four states have comprehensive laws on certifying and licensing interpreters for all settings. These states are Alabama, Connecticut, Kentucky, and Rhode Island.

Today, more states are interested in developing their state legislation on certifying and licensing interpreters for all settings. The National Association of the Deaf has been receiving many requests for the information for developing their state legislation on certifying and licensing interpreters.

NAD also has a list of all the state laws on interpreters: Table of State Laws and Regulations on Requirements of Interpreters

When will the Supreme Court decide?

:ty:

I would say that most people who employ interpreters have no idea how to determine if an interpreter is qualified or not. If a theater needs an interpreter, if a doctor needs an interpreter, if a church needs an interpreter...they have no way to know who is "qualified" and who is not. If they call an agency, great, that makes it easy for them. But in places where there are no agencies, they have to rely on SOME way to find out if the interpreters are qualified. Certification is a good way to guess, if you are an employer who has no idea what "qualified" means. If somebody is certified, you can reasonably assume they are also qualified - it's not guaranteed, of course, but it's better than no measure at all.

who's fault is that? its not the fault of the uncertified interpreters that people are too stupid.

in my entire state, there is 2 people who are NIC certified, if you didn't get a CI/CT, then you got a really long uphill battle as a new interpreter.

The law says qualified.

Nothing about certification.

If I were a deaf client I would insist upon a CERTIFIED interpreter for anything to do with medical or legal situations. If deaf people are comfortable with "qualified" and uncertified, more power to 'em but you get what you pay for.

who's fault is that? its not the fault of the uncertified interpreters that people are too stupid.

"Stupid"? Okay, I'm going to be interpreting for you and I'd like you to know in advance how my skills are. So how are they?

No? Don't know? Guess that makes you stupid.

I mean really, what is the point of tossing an insult like that?

um, no. perhaps you should re-read whats going on.

if i hire you out of the blue without knowing anything about you, then yes...i am stupid. the point i was making, is saying that a certification is nessecary simply because people who hire and use interpreters are too lazy or yes...stupid, to evaluate the skills of the person they are hiring...is ridiculous.

background info, previous work expierence etc, are all other avenues a person can persue to gauge wether an interpreter is qualified or not.

If I were a deaf client I would insist upon a CERTIFIED interpreter for anything to do with medical or legal situations. If deaf people are comfortable with "qualified" and uncertified, more power to 'em but you get what you pay for.

Yet some certified interpreters aren't qualified in certain situations. I've meet several certified interpreters that didn't know what they were doing.

I've meet interpreters that weren't certified and yet did outstanding working compared to their certified counterparts.

Also, if you meet an interpreter that has 30 years of experience vs. a newly certified interpreter with less experience, whom would you pick?

um, no. perhaps you should re-read whats going on.

if i hire you out of the blue without knowing anything about you, then yes...i am stupid. the point i was making, is saying that a certification is nessecary simply because people who hire and use interpreters are too lazy or yes...stupid, to evaluate the skills of the person they are hiring...is ridiculous.

background info, previous work expierence etc, are all other avenues a person can persue to gauge wether an interpreter is qualified or not.
Actually, I think YOU are the one who's misunderstanding. At no time did I say a certification is necessary because people DON'T KNOW about interpreters. I merely said that it is the most common benchmark because people don't know. Of course it's not necessary, but because it makes things easier for hearing clients (remember, they're the ones paying), it's a good idea to get certified because it will open up your job opportunities. If you don't want to do that, by all means avoid certification if you like. But if you want the extra jobs that will be open to you, get certified.

I really object to what you said about people being too stupid or too lazy. It's not that at all. It's like saying, I know nothing about how mental health professionals are qualified, therefore I'm going to pick somebody with some credentials so I know they aren't just a quack. If the prospective client DOESN'T KNOW what the qualifications are for the service they are using, then of COURSE they depend on the letters after their names.

If you want to go see a doctor who is not board-certified, that's fine with me. Personally I will stick to doctors who have been evaluated by a group who knows what the difference is between a good doctor and a bad one.

maybe its just me, but if i am going to be hiring someone...anyone. then im going to do a little research into what i am paying for. if you don't know what the credentials for a specific profession are, educate yourself. with the internet, and in this day and age, ignorance for any reason is no longer an excuse. The information is out there, go get it.

as for certification. my point, obviously, was not that a person should not persue certification. it was that people can work without certification. the terps on this board sometimes act as tho they are holier than thou, and if you weren't shat out of your mothers womb with a ci/ct or a nic, then you aren't worthy of calling yourself anything but a nuisance to the deaf community. people have to get expierence to be certified, and rightly so, otherwise a certification wouldn't mean squat.

maybe its just me, but if i am going to be hiring someone...anyone. then im going to do a little research into what i am paying for. if you don't know what the credentials for a specific profession are, educate yourself. with the internet, and in this day and age, ignorance for any reason is no longer an excuse. The information is out there, go get it.

as for certification. my point, obviously, was not that a person should not persue certification. it was that people can work without certification. the terps on this board sometimes act as tho they are holier than thou, and if you weren't shat out of your mothers womb with a ci/ct or a nic, then you aren't worthy of calling yourself anything but a nuisance to the deaf community. people have to get expierence to be certified, and rightly so, otherwise a certification wouldn't mean squat.
I worked as an interpreter for two years before I was certified. I agree completely that experience is needed first. When did anybody say that people can't work without certification? Of course people can work without certification. They will just have more job opportunities if they get certified.

And I agree with you that it's possible to do your own research, but many places - doctor's offices, etc - don't have the time to do that.

Nor does experience translate into competence.

Competence doesn't necessairly mean they're certifiable.

Again, if you have an interpreter of 30+ years of experience vs. a certified interpreter with no experience, who would you pick?

Competence doesn't necessairly mean they're certifiable.

Again, if you have an interpreter of 30+ years of experience vs. a certified interpreter with no experience, who would you pick?

It would depend on what I knew about the individual's skills in any given area. But with no knowledge of that, I would, for any area that requires specialized skill such as medical, legal, or educational, put my money on the certified terp.

And competence, more than experience, determines certifiablility.

It would depend on what I knew about the individual's skills in any given area. But with no knowledge of that, I would, for any area that requires specialized skill such as medical, legal, or educational, put my money on the certified terp.

And competence, more than experience, determines certifiablility.

I guess it lies with the deaf person's preferance.

I guess it lies with the deaf person's preferance.

I know many deaf, and I don't know a single one who would have the preference for an incompetent terp, expecially when it comes to matters legal, medical, or educational.

This exact same discussion is in about 50 other threads...qualified vs. certified blah blah blah, some certified aren't qualified and some uncertified are awesome blah blah blah...we all know the drill.

IF I was living in a bigger city, then I want my interpreter to be certified but since I live 3 hours away from a big city, then I prefer my interpreter to be qualified at least.

Afterall, deaf in rural areas do have to compromise in areas of certified vs. qualified interpreter.

Not many certified interpreters are willing to drive for 3 hours to do an hour work, even if mileage is being paid for as well. So one has to compromise. If no compromise, then you won't have an interpreter.

The "one size fits all" isn't necessairly going to work.

I live in a small town in Appalacia. We have at least 4 agencies within a 45 minute drive that we can draw certified terps from.

Soon to take the NIC performance

Cool topics, very interesting where it is going

anyway...I am a Jersey girl.. 15 + years terping...went thru ITP. Passed written and now...2 weeks taking the performance!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any advice is much appreciated.

Times have changed. People are wanting a Certified Terp. I cant disagree with them. I know many terps that have been working many years and they still have the helper mode in them, and many that do not. I see these fresh young Certified terps out now, working their butts off. I have to say how impressed I am. We all need to keep up with the times and how it changes. It can only make us better.

Lets keep this going...
Could someone post a pretend ethical situation and check how I respond-like the interview portion of the test????
Heather

I have the "Decisions Decisions" book, let me find it and I will post some ethical questions for you! :) I look forward to seeing what others come up with, too!

Back