NEW nucleus 5

then you better get the surgery done soon so you can keep the Freedom as backup! That sounds like a good plan to me. :)

I emailed my Audi about this. I was wondering when the new 5 will be out and if it was with in my grasp to chose it. I basically wanted to know if I should wait until it's out or get the surgery as soon as they can schedule me in for it. This is what she had to say:

So this means that I'll first get the Freedom and I'll be able to get this new one when it comes out and also keep my freedom. That's a pretty cool deal.

Ron

I agree. When is your surgery scheduled? :D

I'm not sure yet. Waiting for insurance authorization. Been waiting for that almost a month now and they said it could take up to two months. So I'm hoping to find out sometime in the next few weeks.

I'm not sure yet. Waiting for insurance authorization. Been waiting for that almost a month now and they said it could take up to two months. So I'm hoping to find out sometime in the next few weeks.

lucky sob, wish i could get freedom for my right ear instead of waiting for next one after this 5 system internal implant come out im not having this square metal housing in my head.... huh-uh no way

Square metal housing in your head?

I think you got something confused. There's no metal housing on the eternal device. Or am I the one that's confused? :)

Last edited:
The person is talking about the new thinner internal implant being more "square" as compared to the older Freedom implant. The new nucleus 5 external implant will have a partly metal housing as well.

I think you got something confused. There's no metal housing on the eternal device. Or am I the one that's confused? :)

Oh ok. I see.

I still don't understand why the shape of it and it containing metal (Even though the metal is enclosed like they all are) would make a difference. It seems great to me because it's thinner.

But I won't get mine for a few months so maybe there's a reason I don't know about.

i dont like the nucleus 5 system, the processor look weird with silver strip on back and the internal implant metal housing is square i have slight uncomfortable on the edges part of my implant, and its semicircle shape imagine with square housing ouch! I hope thats not what im getting when its time for me to get 2nd implant (after marrying and get under my fiance insurance and go to different state for different surgeon to implant me) they should've makes edges tapered or change shape to round shape and take as much width in metal housing to reasonable thinness instead cram it all into smallest space and have angular edges and for processor, change coil back to normal not huge bulky coil, remove silver strip and keep led screen on make it thinner possible and have 24 hours battery life (disposable and rechargeable) we dont need 5 days if that will reduce weight/size of processor if i have to i will wait for nucleus 6 system to come out im not getting that 5 system upgrade when it come out

agreed. I am very happy with my Nucleus Freedom right now. I really like it alot. I'm not really interested into the Nucleus 5. It seems too weird. I have to agree with SkullChick

What you are seeing on the internal implant for the nucleus 5 is the back side with the square inner block that will be facing the skull to lock it into place. If you look at the outer square of the implant it is beveled at the corners. This new internal implant is much thinner and it is more likely you will be feeling it less that the Freedom implant. The new version is even more impact resistance. I like the idea of the external processor to be partly metal since I believe it will make the external processor more durable. Since the processor will no longer have a display the remote look quite different from anything I have used in the past and I have to see if it will be easy to use without going many menu levels. I will just have to wait and see.

I'm talking about internal implant, well it have edges that may cause discomfort it doesnt matter if its thinner its still square and since it may not require any flushing to the skull, what will hold it in place? and you will still be able to feel the implant, its the square shape that turns me off majorly

I'm not trying to change your mind or anything. I mean I could care less which brand you have or get. I just hope you're happy with it.

But I seriously doubt the square shape will effect anything. It certainly won't effect comfort of wearing the device. It's not like it's a square block with sharp edges and corners that can cut your flesh.

This square is almost paper thing (Ok, maybe as thick as 4 or 5 sheets of paper) and has rounded edges and corners. It's also all enclosed in that gel/rubber. You wouldn't know if it was round, square or the shape of the devils pitch fork inside it by feel.

I also doubt the FDA would approve it if it didn't hold in position securely.

Like I said. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind. But if someone is basing their decision on the square shape alone then they might be missing out on other aspects that are more significant.

I'm not sure which internal device I'm getting yet. I was told that the new model will work with the old internal device though. I know this because my audi said I will be getting the freedom first and the new one once it's out and I can keep the old freedom as back up. She also said no additional surgeries will be needed.

Ron

Well it's SkullChick's choice if she doesn't want a square shape CI. She already benefits from a CI in one ear and wants a 2nd CI in the other ear and is waiting for a better CI.

I had my second implant in April 2011, and my Nucleus 5 went on the fritz in mid-July. Since then the company has replaced the processor and the coil, and someone from the company detected and error message when she tested my chip/implant. I heard of another guy that had to have his chip replaced. CochlearAmericas seems to be dragging there feet on solving this problem. Does anyone know of similar occurences in others who have been implanted.

I had my second implant in April 2011, and my Nucleus 5 went on the fritz in mid-July. Since then the company has replaced the processor and the coil, and someone from the company detected and error message when she tested my chip/implant. I heard of another guy that had to have his chip replaced. CochlearAmericas seems to be dragging there feet on solving this problem. Does anyone know of similar occurences in others who have been implanted?

I had my second implant in April 2011, and my Nucleus 5 went on the fritz in mid-July. Since then the company has replaced the processor and the coil, and someone from the company detected and error message when she tested my chip/implant. I heard of another guy that had to have his chip replaced. CochlearAmericas seems to be dragging there feet on solving this problem. Does anyone know of similar occurences in others who have been implanted?

processors will always eventually break and will need a replacement, I mean that's why they give you 2 of them when you get the kit.

the implant, yeah thats bs. But we all have to face it, within so many years, the implant WILL break and will require an explant. (they dont tell you this when you go for an implant since it can be a deal breaker)

processors will always eventually break and will need a replacement, I mean that's why they give you 2 of them when you get the kit.

the implant, yeah thats bs. But we all have to face it, within so many years, the implant WILL break and will require an explant. (they dont tell you this when you go for an implant since it can be a deal breaker)

I have been aware I may eventually need a reimplantation, but 10 years 11 months on it's still going strong. I only got one processor with mine.

Back