New memeber here / CODA / Interpreter-to-be

goldlegend

Reaction score
Hey there, everyone. My name is Ray. Stumbled across this website with a Google search and was excited to see such a thriving Deaf forum. A little about myself:

I'm a CODA who grew up in a oral Deaf/PSE/straight English household. I currently attend school in St. Louis to become an interpreter and will be going into my third year this coming Fall.

Anyway, I look forward to contributing here!

Welcome ^^ I'm Fatima. Just practice ASL like I would any other language ^^

How do your parents feel about you learning sign? just out of curiosity?

Is st louis a lot of oral deaf people who are living there?

welcome.

In St. Louis, Missouri, they do have some mainstream schools and most in Catholic schools which they get oral-only method without the Deaf program. But if they lessen the oral-only program and turn into Deaf program. Then they might have ASL interpreters in some schools. I have heard about them years ago. I don't know about the change but if it is the same as always more than 20 or 30 years ago. :ugh:

Last edited:
:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. I hope you enjoy reading and typing all the posts. Just have fun here. We like to discuss or debate in this forum. See you around here. :wave:

In St. Louis, Missouri, they do have some mainstream schools and most in Catholic schools which they get oral-only method without the Deaf program. But if they lessen the oral-only program and turn into Deaf program. Then they might have ASL interpreters in some schools. I have heard about them years ago. I don't know about the change but if it is the same as always more than 20 or 30 years ago. :ugh:

Some of those schools (SJI for example) I believe actually started out as sign schools but changed to oral-only.

Both of my parents attended that school and didn't learn fluent sign until just before they entered college.

Some of those schools (SJI for example) I believe actually started out as sign schools but changed to oral-only.

Both of my parents attended that school and didn't learn fluent sign until just before they entered college.

Cool. I suppose they still speak more than sign? just my curiousity.
My kids are CODA. :) but they are still kiddos that has not pass 13 years old yet. :lol:

My experience with the St Louis area is that it is oral only. None of the deaf schools work with a bi-bi approach.

My experience with the St Louis area is that it is oral only. None of the deaf schools work with a bi-bi approach.

That is sad even when there is no ASL. Look like Missouri is the only state that have oral-only program. :ugh: **ugh**

Cool. I suppose they still speak more than sign? just my curiousity.
My kids are CODA. :) but they are still kiddos that has not pass 13 years old yet. :lol:

My mom tends to speak mostly to me and my sister (both hearing), but my dad still signs alot within the household.

Are your kids fluent in sign yet?

Not at all. Plenty of young and old alike are still non-oral. Check out members of GSLAD.

That is sad even when there is no ASL. Look like Missouri is the only state that have oral-only program. :ugh: **ugh**

Well, it is what it is. I have a very unbiased approach to it because of my parents going through a school like that.

My mom tends to speak mostly to me and my sister (both hearing), but my dad still signs alot within the household.

Not at all. Plenty of young and old alike are still non-oral. Check out members of GSLAD.

Well, it is what it is. I have a very unbiased approach to it because of my parents going through a school like that.

Well - I am no longer in Missouri. I know Central Missouri had a decent deaf community what with the school for the Deaf in Fulton. I just know in Villa Ridge, which is 40 miles SW of St. Louis, I was not able to find ANYTHING unless I went back to Central MO. Every place I check into said that they were oral only and did not believe ASL or any sign was beneficial. I went to 3 different Deaf chats, and each one was asked to disband as they were not recognizing the actual needs of the Deaf in the St. Louis area.

Well - I am no longer in Missouri. I know Central Missouri had a decent deaf community what with the school for the Deaf in Fulton. I just know in Villa Ridge, which is 40 miles SW of St. Louis, I was not able to find ANYTHING unless I went back to Central MO. Every place I check into said that they were oral only and did not believe ASL or any sign was beneficial. I went to 3 different Deaf chats, and each one was asked to disband as they were not recognizing the actual needs of the Deaf in the St. Louis area.

Just out of curiousity, how long ago was this?

Villa Ridge isn't even technically St. Louis anyhow. The Bell Club, a known oral-Deaf group of St. Louis still encourages and uses ASL/PSE, etc.

Just out of curiousity, how long ago was this?

Villa Ridge isn't even technically St. Louis anyhow. The Bell Club, a known oral-Deaf group of St. Louis still encourages and uses ASL/PSE, etc.

We left Villa Ridge in June of 2009. Got there in 2007. It is about 40 miles S-SW of St. Louis. Just outside of Washington, MO.

We left Villa Ridge in June of 2009. Got there in 2007. It is about 40 miles S-SW of St. Louis. Just outside of Washington, MO.

I know where Washington is. You're still a bit outside of even St. Louis county.

If you ever plan to come back, visit Bell Club or GSLAD and you will find open arms of signers.

Cool, my kids, 11 and 9 yrs old do sign, close enough to be fluent in ASL but very communicative. Naturally, I continue to teach them any time if new signs that we talk about something that they dont know what to sign before.

Back