New member from NYC.

JoeDawg

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm Joe. I've been steadily losing my hearing for the past few years to otoscerosis but the last 6-8 months it has gotten to a point to cause me significant trouble in my daily life.

I'm not sure how I'll be received here as I am reluctant to be hard-of-hearing, I'm mostly scared out of my head to be honest. It's taken me a long time to come to terms with my hearing loss for a long time I blamed everyone else stating that they were "mumbling", then I became embarrassed and withdrew from social situations after running into several friends I hadn't seen in months or years only to have them express shock and discomfort when they realize the extent of my loss.

I am fortunate to work at one of the largest teaching hospitals in new york and I've had a few appointments with our otolarygologists and the outcome is that I will be having a stapedectomy on July 7th, but who knows how well this will work for me.

Anyways, I've been lurking here for about a month and a half and decided I would post a hello.

Joe

:wave: welcome to see you enjoy! alldeaf

nice to meet to you!

There are NYC meetup groups and two expos, one in August and September. Besides AD you can make friends. Ive been to one meetup in the ASL group, and they were nice. They have meetups once a week, so stop by.

:welcome: to AD! Hope you will like it here. :)

Hi,

I too live near NYC, and have a profound hearing loss and my Phonak Naida IX hearing aids no longer assist me as much as I wish. I'm retired and seriously considering getting CI(s).

I'm new here to this website (great info!), and am a member of the HLAA

Kretsh

Last edited:
:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. I do hope you enjoy reading and posting all the threads here. Just relax, discuss or debate with us. See you around here. :wave:

The stapedectomy was successfully performed on july 7th. Well see how this goes once all the swelling goes down :) thanks for the welcome!!

Back