New meaning to working under table

dereksbicycles

Reaction score
I'm sure you have heard of working under the table before.

Now, I personally know someone who is working in a daycare. She works 4 days a week for 10 hours per day making it 40 hours. She clocks in and out as you would do in any businesses. She gets paid by check just like everyone else.

Now, they have asked her to work one more day(OT hours). They told her to not clock in. They'll pay her cash with the check for that day. I've never heard of this practice before. We have talked about it and we agree that they may be trying to cheat on tax returns.

I've also thought of the idea that they're trying for free hours. You know, not clock in, pay you cash with check. Then that day come, no cash. She has never worked the extra day, but will be this coming week. I worry that she may not be paid. I would hope they give her cash ON the day she works the extra shift if they are not going to have her clock in.

Apparently, other workers have been asked to do the same. One of them refused, then quitted, and threatened to report the daycare to Better Business Bureau.

Ever seen anything like this?

Is it possible they're cheating her from the time and a half rate?

Yep, I see it all the time. By law, if you are an hourly employee (not salaried), the business is required to pay 1.5x in overtime. It sounds like the business wants to pay that worker straight-time overtime, which is the same hourly rate, and the business 'thinks' it is doing the employee a big favor by paying cash with no taxes. It is cheaper for the business to pay cash with no taxes taken out than it is to pay regular overtime rates.

Talking of working under table....

I bought few stuffs from a thrift store that recently opened. I did not have my van so I said I would pay now, pick them up later. I asked for receipt. They told me if they issued me receipt, then I would have to pay taxes. I did not want to pay taxes so I decided to trust them on their word. You know, put "sold" tags on the items so it works out fine for me. Good for me to not have to pay taxes, but not a smart business practice.

Talking of working under table....

I bought few stuffs from a thrift store that recently opened. I did not have my van so I said I would pay now, pick them up later. I asked for receipt. They told me if they issued me receipt, then I would have to pay taxes. I did not want to pay taxes so I decided to trust them on their word. You know, put "sold" tags on the items so it works out fine for me. Good for me to not have to pay taxes, but not a smart business practice.
The store is supposed to be collecting and paying sales tax on every purchase, regardless of paper receipt. It sounds like they're doing something illegal. I don't think I'd continue doing business with them.

It's very typical here in Arizona to work under the table. These are mainly low wage jobs involving manual labor (construction, farming, cleaning, etc.) that are filled by illegal immigrants. The possibility of deportation is what keeps these people silent. Some may see this as unfair to the workers, but when you take into account free health care and no income taxes it is much more beneficial than your typical minimum wage job. There are a few places that I know off where workers regularly wait to be hired on the spot for daily work. It's not just legal businesses that take advantage of the situation, but also individuals needing help with small DIY projects.

I'm not sure I'd want to leave my child in a daycare that didn't obey labor laws. If they ignore those laws, how do I know they are following the laws that cover child care? Where else are they cutting corners? Are they using unqualified workers? Are they ignoring health and safety rules? :hmm:

I would not hesitate to work under the table, due to the fact that I pay tons of taxes on everything I do, I work long hours week after week and knowing my social security wont be there when I retire. So I do not have any more motivation to give to the government anymore when tax money is being wasted everywhere. I do not agree with how the tax money is being used in all levels of government. Screw uncle sam. Taxes are not right, some people pay more in taxes versus others, etc small businesses are taxed more than corps, its all not right at all. So sign me up, and yes I'll keep my current job as well to protect myself for medical insurance reasons and a steady paycheck .

Back