New iPhone 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
The simple reason why iphone runs fast with many apps installed is because there wasn't any multitasking feature. More programs you run, the slower it runs. I'm sure IOS 4 will run slower with many programs open. It is just like that in Mac OS X with too many programs open.

Well I have yet to try that out because I'm still on 1.6 firmware (Donut) release on my G1, but I have read a lot of articles and they all have said that Android is awesome on memory management. It's not my opinion, it is a tried-and-true method that has been tested by reputable companies and they said Android executes it much better than Apple.

With the Froyo release, (2.2) you now can save your apps and games over to your miniSD card and allow it to run directly from the miniSD card rather than having to have it installed on your phone, which is a huge factor in why Android is always changing for the better. But still, even with that feature enabled or not, Android still does the memory management one better over Apple.

Android Developers Blog: Multitasking the Android Way

Also for TasKiller, you shouldn't be using that as it will harm your system further because the core OS is already doing the management and when you kill an application, you kill it entirely, thus you damage the OS or you damage the program itself and may require a phone reboot or a re-install of the program itself.

FAQ: Why You Shouldn’t Be Using a Task Killer with Android Geek For Me – Sprint Evo 4g & CDMA Hero

I have read stories about how some people were able to install 50 apps, even 120 apps at once on their phone (forgot which phone it was but there were several different phones) and it was android based and they said it ran smoothly as if it was unpacked on the first day with pre-installed apps. They did asked some iPhone users on how many apps they had installed, and I've read the comments from iPhone users and they said they had about 30 to 40 installed and they tried to install more but it slowed their phone down big time. It has to be app to app on each phone because it depends on which apps you have installed because each app have its own services and all that will always varies on phone by phone.

As for iPhone doing it better than Android as you said, I'm not sure if you are talking about iPhone 4 or an older iPhone with iOS 4.0 but if you are talking about BEFORE the iOS 4.0 or BEFORE iPhone 4, well yeah they do it better because they're single-tasked, thus you can only run a program at one time, then when you want to run something else, YOU HAVE TO EXIT that program and run that other program, which is why Apple "excels" at executing programs, because of less services running in the background. As for Apple's iPhone 4 right now, it appears to be doing better now only because Apple set a limitation on certain apps that can conform to the multitasking rule and whatever else. If a developer want to make an app and wish to have it run in the background or whatever, they will have to lobby for support from Apple to allow it to be included. If Apple denies it, it will not be included, thus going back to being single-tasked.

I have no experience with using a Palm Pre and don't know much about it because it didn't attract my interest because Palm Pre is tacky and small for me to use. SO I wouldn't know what or how Palm Pre would do with their apps.

Installed apps is DIFFERENT from apps being running in the background. Installed apps takes up a lot of RAM but the point is, if you have a better phone, more precisely, a current smartphone like the HTC evo 4g, Droid X, Samsung Galaxy S and on, you will see a dramatic difference between the 1st generation phones, namely the G1, Hero, MyTouch 3g and on and current phones like the Droid, Droid Incredible, Droid X, Samsung Galaxy S, HTC Evo 4G, Dell Streak and on. So when an installed program resides in RAM, it takes up some space, but when a program is being run, it also executes services which takes up more RAM space so when you are on very low RAM amount, it get bottlenecked. With 512 MB RAM, you will have abundance space to install 100 apps plus services and all.

Also, keep in mind, there are developers out there that could be amateur developers that do not know how to use the pause trigger/stop trigger and all that so they could be developing the app in a bad way, hence the "memory leak" that you may be talking about. If coming from a reputable company such as AIM from AOL, ESPN SportCenter (or whatever it is called), The Weather Channel from Weather.com, Twitter from Twitter, and on, will work like wonder because they have a team of developers to create the program while amateur developers probably read from a book on how to develop a program for Android and forgot to follow the guidelines to execute a program from start to finish. It is a common mistake and I've seen that happen on a iPhone even. It's normal and it's given so you can't really avoid it. Well, actually you can help by contributing your feedback to the developer by making a report and they will read all of the info generated by your phone and fine-tune the app to work fine on your Droid. Linux has a growing community of developers/troubleshooters/enthusiasts and many more that help each other with bugs, kernel panics and whatnot. Apple and Microsoft have their own team of developers and engineers to do that while Linux does not. Google do have their own team of developers but not devoted to an individual app created by a developer. They focus on their OWN apps while the aspiring developers focus on theirs, which is why you constantly see updates to the apps, which is wonderful because I'm always looking forward to the next updates because it will have bug fixes, GUI changes and interface changes to make the apps appealing as well as Android more appealing by the byte.

Are you sure Windows is "free-for-all"? Last I remember, Microsoft is a closed-source company that will not allow anyone to read their source code and I HIGHLY doubt anyone can do anything they wish to Windows Mobile, let alone Windows. I think, what you meant by that, Microsoft is allowing people to develop programs the way they want and put it on Windows Mobile so if that is what you meant, then I still stand by how the program is properly developed and executed because it still goes back to the source; the developer(s) and how they designed the program with services and calls.

Google Maps is developed by Google and I have yet to see a memory leak on my G1 other than when using GPS, it drains my battery faster than normal but that's ok because it's a first generation phone and I still get updates from Google on Google Maps. You are forgetting that when an application stays in memory too long, the kernel detects the program being inactive for so long, it terminates the program so the OS runs much better/frees up memory for the upcoming app to be loaded. If it did detect a "memory leak" it would have terminated that program right away which is what you would have gotten a force close without a "wait" option. By seeing that, you would then alert the developer that by going to x, you got this y message and force closed on you. That's why there's comments on the developer's page for the application to express their opinion and/or feedback so the developer would listen and improvise on their applications. If you are not helping by giving your feedback to the developer that they may have missed because they had a device in mind they are developing, and has not thought about the Droid at all, it is your fault for not helping the developer because the developer may be limited on what phones they have to test on because of the hardware difference between many phones. You need to help them to improve the programs you are using if you wish to continue to use it.

I have seen some graphic stress tests and it looks almost as identical as a Playstation 3 game and it is very impressive. Apple is good at image compression and execution of games only because their image compression is better but still that is not stopping Android from improving their gaming capabilities and I'm sure Android will get better. Don't forget Android is still in its infancy stage, but maturing, while Apple's iOS 4 may be in it's mature stage because it's just a HUGE copy and paste from 3GS (3.1.2 or whatever) over to 4.0 with some additions such as wallpapers, folders and all (big whoopie...) Android is almost at 3.0, which is expected to be released at end of this year or by 1st quarter of next year and it is going to bring much more so I anticipate that the 3.0 will finally bring Android up on top and battle it out with Apple then just maybe, 4.0 will kick Apple out of the water and fall all the way to the bottom. At this point, it is like comparing apples to oranges (no pun intended) and soon enough, Android will be the new Apple!

Back in Dec, when I had iPod Touch and I installed around 50 apps, I don't see any performance degrade from installed apps, unlike Moto Droid. The RAM in Moto Droid is only 256 MB and got horribly slow if I have 50 apps or more, including apps that bundled in phone.

You mentioned that you are Android fanboy but for me, I'm no fanboy in any matters.

The simple reason why iphone runs fast with many apps installed is because there wasn't any multitasking feature. More programs you run, the slower it runs. I'm sure IOS 4 will run slower with many programs open. It is just like that in Mac OS X with too many programs open.

Yup but I'm talking about many apps installed in Android but not running yet has slow my phone down because of too many apps installed that I haven't experience like that on Palm Pre and iPhone/iPod Touch. Palm Pre has multitasking and their OS is still responsive after having a many apps.

For Mac OS X, yup, it is hardly to notice for me because of 4 GB RAM, that's enough to have many apps running. I used had Mac OS X with 1 GB and 2 GB RAM, it was more slower than I thought.

Yup but I'm talking about many apps installed in Android but not running yet has slow my phone down because of too many apps installed that I haven't experience like that on Palm Pre and iPhone/iPod Touch. Palm Pre has multitasking and their OS is still responsive after having a many apps.

For Mac OS X, yup, it is hardly to notice for me because of 4 GB RAM, that's enough to have many apps running. I used had Mac OS X with 1 GB and 2 GB RAM, it was more slower than I thought.

Aha, then it was your experience that may have ruined it for you. I have known several Android users that had like 50-75 apps installed on their Droid/MyTouch 3G/Cliq/Cliq XT and it lags once in a while but runs smoothly most of the time. You probably got the bad end of it I guess?

Do your homework and ask around, like for example, "I have a Motorola Droid and after installing x apps, my phone slows down. Anyone experience the same issue?" and I'm sure you will get a lot of replies and they may have some suggestions to tell you how to fix the slowdown issue or maybe they will tell you like an app or two are buggy and you need to uninstall it and then maybe when you uninstall the said app and BAM! it works much better! That happens to me MANY times on my G1. I have had some buggy apps/over 3,000 text messages stored/cache not emptied and more and it slowed my phone till I emptied out cache, uninstalled apps that have not gotten updates in a long time as well as apps I don't really use on a frequent basis and backed up my SMS/MMS texts to miniSD card and then deleted all of the texts and now my phone is running much better. I did my homework and learned how to get used to my phone, even better get used to everything Android related. That's why I'm an Android Fanboy. You admit you are not, well that may explain why because you may be ignorant toward Android more than Apple, to not grasp the whole idea of what Android is capable of. I have seen a lot of awesome stuff on what Android is capable of that Apple's iOS 4.0 is not.

Its ok if you like the iPhone better, maybe because it's so simple and easy to use because you probably don't understand how Android works to its fullest or is just ignorant because you prefer iPhone but couldn't get it or something? I don't know but from what I'm seeing, I'm assuming you are having bad experience with your Droid while I have heard A LOT of rave reviews on the Droid and I've seen Droid/Incredible/X (or 2) and they all are AWESOME and guaranteed to blow Apple out of the water. If it was me and I had a slow/sluggish phone, I wouldn't just let it "win" by continuing to be slow/sluggish, I would get online or ask a friend who has a Droid or at least Android and they will explain to you more on how to do this and that to improve your experience.

If you are an owner of a phone/PC/car or whatever, and you don't learn everything related to your said product, you lose because you lose on:

-money (paying the service to fix your x product)

-knowledge (recalls/updates/accessories/specifications/many aspects of x product to improve it)

-power (the ability to control your x product better)

-self-gratification (the satisfying feeling knowing you have a great x product because you know it from the inside out and you can troubleshoot it and fix it without having to ask for help and all)

So with that said, if you are more knowledgeable with iPhone than you are with Android because you learned a lot of things Apple related and now you have a Droid and has not learned much about Droid, then its your fault as the primary owner of a wonderful Droid phone, for neglecting the power of the Droid. If you did learn a lot of things with the Droid and still are getting bad experience from Droid, maybe you got a defective phone or you installed some bad programs or whatever. You have to look around to explore why the Droid is doing this and that. It could be linked to something hardware? I have already went through two defective batteries and I'm on my third one, but I still love my G1! When I had a defective battery in my G1, I did clean up and all, but still ran slowly and noticed my battery life went down so fast in like 30 minutes and found out it was the battery, then after I got a free battery replacement from T-Mobile, popped that baby in and G1 ran much better! So it can be linked to something hardware for you so its your duty as a Droid owner to find out why it's slowing you down. If you don't care much, then it's your fault so you can't really blame Android/Droid or whatever. If you still want to blame something/someone, blame yourself for being ignorant, simple! :D

I'm not saying YOU ARE IGNORANT, but I'm just speculating and am suggesting that you may be ignorant because of your explanations and all but if you are not, that's cool and I'm wrong then. I'm not confirming that you are ignorant, I'm just helping you out by maybe realizing something that you had not realized yet? I dunno but Android for the win! :D

Oh, boy.. other rival again? here, we go...

to me, i like iPhone 4 and EVO are faster processors than other phones. *shrugs*

Aha, then it was your experience that may have ruined it for you. I have known several Android users that had like 50-75 apps installed on their Droid/MyTouch 3G/Cliq/Cliq XT and it lags once in a while but runs smoothly most of the time. You probably got the bad end of it I guess?

Do your homework and ask around, like for example, "I have a Motorola Droid and after installing x apps, my phone slows down. Anyone experience the same issue?" and I'm sure you will get a lot of replies and they may have some suggestions to tell you how to fix the slowdown issue or maybe they will tell you like an app or two are buggy and you need to uninstall it and then maybe when you uninstall the said app and BAM! it works much better! That happens to me MANY times on my G1. I have had some buggy apps/over 3,000 text messages stored/cache not emptied and more and it slowed my phone till I emptied out cache, uninstalled apps that have not gotten updates in a long time as well as apps I don't really use on a frequent basis and backed up my SMS/MMS texts to miniSD card and then deleted all of the texts and now my phone is running much better. I did my homework and learned how to get used to my phone, even better get used to everything Android related. That's why I'm an Android Fanboy. You admit you are not, well that may explain why because you may be ignorant toward Android more than Apple, to not grasp the whole idea of what Android is capable of. I have seen a lot of awesome stuff on what Android is capable of that Apple's iOS 4.0 is not.

Its ok if you like the iPhone better, maybe because it's so simple and easy to use because you probably don't understand how Android works to its fullest or is just ignorant because you prefer iPhone but couldn't get it or something? I don't know but from what I'm seeing, I'm assuming you are having bad experience with your Droid while I have heard A LOT of rave reviews on the Droid and I've seen Droid/Incredible/X (or 2) and they all are AWESOME and guaranteed to blow Apple out of the water. If it was me and I had a slow/sluggish phone, I wouldn't just let it "win" by continuing to be slow/sluggish, I would get online or ask a friend who has a Droid or at least Android and they will explain to you more on how to do this and that to improve your experience.

If you are an owner of a phone/PC/car or whatever, and you don't learn everything related to your said product, you lose because you lose on:

-money (paying the service to fix your x product)

-knowledge (recalls/updates/accessories/specifications/many aspects of x product to improve it)

-power (the ability to control your x product better)

-self-gratification (the satisfying feeling knowing you have a great x product because you know it from the inside out and you can troubleshoot it and fix it without having to ask for help and all)

So with that said, if you are more knowledgeable with iPhone than you are with Android because you learned a lot of things Apple related and now you have a Droid and has not learned much about Droid, then its your fault as the primary owner of a wonderful Droid phone, for neglecting the power of the Droid. If you did learn a lot of things with the Droid and still are getting bad experience from Droid, maybe you got a defective phone or you installed some bad programs or whatever. You have to look around to explore why the Droid is doing this and that. It could be linked to something hardware? I have already went through two defective batteries and I'm on my third one, but I still love my G1! When I had a defective battery in my G1, I did clean up and all, but still ran slowly and noticed my battery life went down so fast in like 30 minutes and found out it was the battery, then after I got a free battery replacement from T-Mobile, popped that baby in and G1 ran much better! So it can be linked to something hardware for you so its your duty as a Droid owner to find out why it's slowing you down. If you don't care much, then it's your fault so you can't really blame Android/Droid or whatever. If you still want to blame something/someone, blame yourself for being ignorant, simple! :D

I'm not saying YOU ARE IGNORANT, but I'm just speculating and am suggesting that you may be ignorant because of your explanations and all but if you are not, that's cool and I'm wrong then. I'm not confirming that you are ignorant, I'm just helping you out by maybe realizing something that you had not realized yet? I dunno but Android for the win! :D

No, I'm not alone since I do know some college students at my college have similar issue as mine does and they have different Android based phones. I told them to remove unused apps and clear any of cache, including text messaging so issue solved. I have clear anything on my phone, it was texting messaging and cache at first place so issue doesn't resolve until I removed many of apps, only left useful is IM program because I don't have deal with goddamn sluggish so my phone start speed up.

If you don't have any issue so good for you, the issue is varies from person to person and some people have tolerate with sluggish and slowdown since I don't. I just want phone that is very responsive that all I need with plenty of my favorite apps.

Don't underestimate my knowledge, I do have plenty of knowledge about open source OS since I use Linux sometime, especially Ubuntu. I do like Ubuntu since they are fast and very responsive, of course on netbook or laptop with plenty of RAM that don't cause any issue with sluggish. The Android device will better equipped with 1 GB RAM and allow to install in microSD/larger flash memory built-in so OS performance shouldn't be any issue with having too many apps. I do know that Android is Linux based and they do get slow if there is lack of RAM, just like normal for computer and back in 2001, when Windows XP came out and many computers are equipped with 256 MB RAM, that which cause Windows XP to slowdown with many apps.

You can blame on me whatever you want, I don't care and it wouldn't keep me from getting iPhone 4. I just see some of your post is mistaken and it isn't always user's fault because issues could be caused via OS or hardware.

Oh, boy.. other rival again? here, we go...

to me, i like iPhone 4 and EVO are faster processors than other phones. *shrugs*

No, there is no rival here and I have getting deal with fanboy. :roll:

No, I'm not alone since I do know some college students at my college have similar issue as mine does and they have different Android based phones. I told them to remove unused apps and clear any of cache, including text messaging so issue solved. I have clear anything on my phone, it was texting messaging and cache at first place so issue doesn't resolve until I removed many of apps, only left useful is IM program because I don't have deal with goddamn sluggish so my phone start speed up.

If you don't have any issue so good for you, the issue is varies from person to person and some people have tolerate with sluggish and slowdown since I don't. I just want phone that is very responsive that all I need with plenty of my favorite apps.

Don't underestimate my knowledge, I do have plenty of knowledge about open source OS since I use Linux sometime, especially Ubuntu. I do like Ubuntu since they are fast and very responsive, of course on netbook or laptop with plenty of RAM that don't cause any issue with sluggish. The Android device will better equipped with 1 GB RAM and allow to install in microSD/larger flash memory built-in so OS performance shouldn't be any issue with having too many apps. I do know that Android is Linux based and they do get slow if there is lack of RAM, just like normal for computer and back in 2001, when Windows XP came out and many computers are equipped with 256 MB RAM, that which cause Windows XP to slowdown with many apps.

You can blame on me whatever you want, I don't care and it wouldn't keep me from getting iPhone 4. I just see some of your post is mistaken and it isn't always user's fault because issues could be caused via OS or hardware.

LOL then if you know Linux very well, you will know that Linux works well on outdated computers with 256 MB of ram and 10 GB hard drive and it runs a lot better than Windows 95 did. I have some old laptops and some old PCs here and I have not upgraded anything to them and I had windows 95 installed and it ran very, very slow, then I installed Damn Small Linux and it runs really fast! Ubuntu runs a lot better than Windows 95 but still runs a little slow but tolerable. The reason why Linux is very reliable today is because it can fit on almost anything and *IT RUNS ON ANYTHING, EVEN ON UNITS WITH LOW RAM* which is why Linux has been chosen many times to run on something so small and limited because it CAN be run. MAC OSX and Windows would not run on something so small because of its high demand of resources to use so that's why they fail.

Who said I'm blaming you? O_o; I'm just making a suggestion based on your comments about Android so I'm letting you know what I think. If you didn't like it, ok fine but doesn't have to be upset about it. Ok, fine so my post is "mistaken" according to you, then can you please point out which ones did I go wrong on? Also when you tell me which one I am wrong on, please explain why I am wrong? Also, I already stated that it could be hardware related/software related not the user all the time. Maybe you did not read my posts carefully?

Oh no, I'm not stopping you from getting the iPhone 4. It's your decision if you want to get the iPhone, its cool. Maybe you're right, it's better off to leave Android to the smarter people while Apple is suitable for those who are clueless when it come to technology. :D

LOL then if you know Linux very well, you will know that Linux works well on outdated computers with 256 MB of ram and 10 GB hard drive and it runs a lot better than Windows 95 did. I have some old laptops and some old PCs here and I have not upgraded anything to them and I had windows 95 installed and it ran very, very slow, then I installed Damn Small Linux and it runs really fast! Ubuntu runs a lot better than Windows 95 but still runs a little slow but tolerable. The reason why Linux is very reliable today is because it can fit on almost anything and *IT RUNS ON ANYTHING, EVEN ON UNITS WITH LOW RAM* which is why Linux has been chosen many times to run on something so small and limited because it CAN be run. MAC OSX and Windows would not run on something so small because of its high demand of resources to use so that's why they fail.

Who said I'm blaming you? O_o; I'm just making a suggestion based on your comments about Android so I'm letting you know what I think. If you didn't like it, ok fine but doesn't have to be upset about it. Ok, fine so my post is "mistaken" according to you, then can you please point out which ones did I go wrong on? Also when you tell me which one I am wrong on, please explain why I am wrong? Also, I already stated that it could be hardware related/software related not the user all the time. Maybe you did not read my posts carefully?

Oh no, I'm not stopping you from getting the iPhone 4. It's your decision if you want to get the iPhone, its cool. Maybe you're right, it's better off to leave Android to the smarter people while Apple is suitable for those who are clueless when it come to technology. :D

but Mac OS X is based on UNIX? I do like memory management on Mac OS X better than Windows 7, however both of them aren't issue if you have enough RAM like 4 GB. I have over 50 games installed on Windows 7, of course, I'm PC gamer. Windows 7 handles numerous games better than XP and Vista since XP will get slow in over time due install decay and for Vista, they get slow when have too many games so resolve is uninstall unused games to clear it up or use defrag.

You said that Android issues that I experienced is my fault. :dunno2:

Yup, I used to dislike iPhone in past because of no multitasking until Apple announced about iOS 4 supports multitasking so it reconsider my decision and finally decided to get iPhone 4 in Aug-Sept.

holding_popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif
popcorncat3u.gif

but Mac OS X is based on UNIX? I do like memory management on Mac OS X better than Windows 7, however both of them aren't issue if you have enough RAM like 4 GB. I have over 50 games installed on Windows 7, of course, I'm PC gamer. Windows 7 handles numerous games better than XP and Vista since XP will get slow in over time due install decay and for Vista, they get slow when have too many games so resolve is uninstall unused games to clear it up or use defrag.

You said that Android issues that I experienced is my fault. :dunno2:

Yup, I used to dislike iPhone in past because of no multitasking until Apple announced about iOS 4 supports multitasking so it reconsider my decision and finally decided to get iPhone 4 in Aug-Sept.

Ok there is a huge difference between desktop/notebook/netbook OSes and embedded OSes on mobile phones. They both may be based on a similar underlying architecture but they executes things differently because of the hardware it is residing on. Again, comparing apples to oranges here...

Well, you have over 50 games installed on Windows 7, that's good. But remember, installed programs on Windows does not mean anything because it is taking up the... HARD DRIVE space, not RAM. If you run 50 games at one time on 4 GB of RAM, your computer is taking a killing here but that's IMPOSSIBLE because the video RAM can not share resources for two or more games. So, if you have a 1 TB of hard drive space available and you have 50 games installed so that is about 250-500 MB per game x 50 games = about 150 GB. S0 1,000 GB = 1 TB and you use up 150 GB, you have 850 GB left to go. So if you are using a 320 GB hard drive, yeah your free space is running out and it takes longer for the read/write access time to execute.

Windows Vista is a MEMORY hog and does not utilize resources very well which is why Microsoft released Windows 7 too early. It takes about 5 years for Microsoft to release a new OS, but Windows Vista came out in January 2007 and Windows 7 came out in October 2009. I do admit I like Windows 7 a lot. Originally, I wasn't ready to move beyond Windows XP because I'm so used to Windows XP and when Vista came out, I stayed away from it as much as possible but had no choice because I have to service computers with Vista installed and fix them, then 7 came out and it was A LOT better because they finally improved most, if not all, of the issues that was the downfall of Windows Vista.

You may be right on using a defrag tool to re-organize the contents of the HDD for quicker access to files, but don't forget if you are using 5400 RPM hard drive, it takes a while for the arm to reach the outer area of the platter on the HDD to read the sectors. That's why there are 10,000 and 15,000 RPM HDDs to achieve this and let's not forget SSD drives but they're expensive right now.

I see here you have misunderstood my posts. No I'm not saying the problems you are experiencing is your fault, I'm saying if you complain about it and does not DO A THING to fix it, instead, you place the blame on the Android phone because it is crappy. What if, a BIG IF, it is not Android, but something that you customized and it made the OS run slow or you installed a program and it is very buggy and you just don't care and thinks it's Android that's screwing things up. So again, A BIG IF, you asked around and found out it was this program that is buggy and slowed your phone down and you uninstalled it and PRESTO! it works better now? I'm just saying it could be your fault FOR BEING IGNORANT toward Android and not understanding more of how it functions. Understand now? I thought my G1 was slow at first but then I looked around, learned more about Android and understood more about how it works and on, and now I've fine-tuned my G1 to work snappier and loads things faster. There are a lot of factors to take in, that involves Android and many programs coming from different developers from all around the world.

Of course the iPhone 4 works like "wonder" because it's on the SAME hardware, while Android and Windows are on different hardware architectures and it varies by manufacturers. That would be why we have to LOOK AT the manufacturer of the phone running Android x.x and if it's HTC, we know it's a good one, if it's LG we know it may bomb because we know LG well enough to screw up something (not my opinion, but i'm just setting an example here) so we know more about which phones we want to get and that's why you research before buying the phone.

That's cool that multitasking is a huge factor in your decision toward buying the iPhone 4. I wish you best of luck on your future purchase! :D I think it would be better for you anyways ;-) iPhones are suitable for people that is technology challenged anyways.

Simple, Linux suck with mobile and laptop for battery life unlike OSX and iOS4. The linux is very good for server only. That's why there is rare laptop come with Linux from any store unlike Windows and OSX. Linux is very limit app like NO VRS, no photoshop (Photoshop still better than GIMP), etc.

The outdate laptop still useless to us because most old laptops are only 1-2 hours battery life, some laptops with outdate AMD get overheat quick then hurt your legs and probably no WIFI built-in. I prefer new hardware like Macbook with 10 hours battery life and less heat.

The outdate desktop still useless for gamer because they can't stand with LAG. So Linux can do on outdate hardware just for internet and email. That's all you need? Pointless to me.

Yes, I played around computer since DOS, Win 3.11 to Win 7, OSX classic to OSX 10.6, and some linux like redhat, Slackware, Kubuntu, and Ubuntu.

My opinion that Linux is better than other OS for server. The Windows is better than other OS for gamer. The OSX is better than other OS for battery life.

The main issue with this whole huge "what phone is better" debate is all because of both people and the industry trying to make computers into the size of miniature phones. This is just still growing, yet phones are starting to use 1ghz ARM processors now.

What's next?
Need to run office productivity on a cellphone? I can see this happening in the future with RIM. :roll:

Might as well decommission desktops and probably laptops, phones will take over the world if we want them to do everything we do on the PC, lol.

I still say it's a choice of preference for the person who chooses the phone, what they need to do and what they intend to get out of their phone.

Serious dev? Go android. Lots of customization options and (almost) full control, it's a developer's and programmer's favorite just because of the interface and what you can do with it. This is why Linux still lives with old computers.

Easy? Go iOS. Everything is simplified so you can use it easy without problems. "Seamless integration" is what I think is the keyword for apple's motives.

Not into the aesthetic designs? Look professional and business-like? RIM.

People who just want a damn phone to be a phone? Everything else..

Personally I don't need multitasking on a phone. Although there are times I wish my 528mhz Qualcomm cpu is better when browsing web, I also realize I'm reaching too high expect the phone act like a PC.

I know if I want multitasking, I can buy a decent notebook or tablet for $400-500 that will do the job way better than the phone. I will get better returns for the money spent.

Sure there's the size factor difference, but that doesn't bother me. I don't want to cram high expectations all into one phone, (battery life, features, hardware specs) the costs are ridiculous to pay for compared to alternatives. It will take some more years before expecting something good priced for what we want out of a "PC-phone"

Ok there is a huge difference between desktop/notebook/netbook OSes and embedded OSes on mobile phones. They both may be based on a similar underlying architecture but they executes things differently because of the hardware it is residing on. Again, comparing apples to oranges here...

Well, you have over 50 games installed on Windows 7, that's good. But remember, installed programs on Windows does not mean anything because it is taking up the... HARD DRIVE space, not RAM. If you run 50 games at one time on 4 GB of RAM, your computer is taking a killing here but that's IMPOSSIBLE because the video RAM can not share resources for two or more games. So, if you have a 1 TB of hard drive space available and you have 50 games installed so that is about 250-500 MB per game x 50 games = about 150 GB. S0 1,000 GB = 1 TB and you use up 150 GB, you have 850 GB left to go. So if you are using a 320 GB hard drive, yeah your free space is running out and it takes longer for the read/write access time to execute.

Windows Vista is a MEMORY hog and does not utilize resources very well which is why Microsoft released Windows 7 too early. It takes about 5 years for Microsoft to release a new OS, but Windows Vista came out in January 2007 and Windows 7 came out in October 2009. I do admit I like Windows 7 a lot. Originally, I wasn't ready to move beyond Windows XP because I'm so used to Windows XP and when Vista came out, I stayed away from it as much as possible but had no choice because I have to service computers with Vista installed and fix them, then 7 came out and it was A LOT better because they finally improved most, if not all, of the issues that was the downfall of Windows Vista.

You may be right on using a defrag tool to re-organize the contents of the HDD for quicker access to files, but don't forget if you are using 5400 RPM hard drive, it takes a while for the arm to reach the outer area of the platter on the HDD to read the sectors. That's why there are 10,000 and 15,000 RPM HDDs to achieve this and let's not forget SSD drives but they're expensive right now.

I see here you have misunderstood my posts. No I'm not saying the problems you are experiencing is your fault, I'm saying if you complain about it and does not DO A THING to fix it, instead, you place the blame on the Android phone because it is crappy. What if, a BIG IF, it is not Android, but something that you customized and it made the OS run slow or you installed a program and it is very buggy and you just don't care and thinks it's Android that's screwing things up. So again, A BIG IF, you asked around and found out it was this program that is buggy and slowed your phone down and you uninstalled it and PRESTO! it works better now? I'm just saying it could be your fault FOR BEING IGNORANT toward Android and not understanding more of how it functions. Understand now? I thought my G1 was slow at first but then I looked around, learned more about Android and understood more about how it works and on, and now I've fine-tuned my G1 to work snappier and loads things faster. There are a lot of factors to take in, that involves Android and many programs coming from different developers from all around the world.

Of course the iPhone 4 works like "wonder" because it's on the SAME hardware, while Android and Windows are on different hardware architectures and it varies by manufacturers. That would be why we have to LOOK AT the manufacturer of the phone running Android x.x and if it's HTC, we know it's a good one, if it's LG we know it may bomb because we know LG well enough to screw up something (not my opinion, but i'm just setting an example here) so we know more about which phones we want to get and that's why you research before buying the phone.

That's cool that multitasking is a huge factor in your decision toward buying the iPhone 4. I wish you best of luck on your future purchase! :D I think it would be better for you anyways ;-) iPhones are suitable for people that is technology challenged anyways.

The recent PC games are 5 GB to 15 GB, depends on games, usually release after 2007. My gaming PC is dual 500 GB 7200 RPM HDD, 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Quad, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512 MB VRAM and Windows 7 64-bit. That's much enough for games to run at max or near max setting.

Yup, I do know that Vista is memory hogs, that why I rid of Vista in last Dec to replace with Windows 7 so more responsive and less HDD fragmentation. I do know about Windows and Mac OS X so far than Linux.

Well, I'm not ignorant about Android since I said issues can be partly of Android, not whole OS. I do like to install too many apps but I can't do right now because of Moto Droid's RAM limit and I heard about rooted could fix the issue because I can remove the preinstalled apps like Amazon MP3, Google Voice and Verizon Visual Voice because they are unnecessary to me due deafness. Google Voice uses more memory than I thought, just found out from taskbar. Poor designed apps can cause instability with Android so I have careful and check the reviews in app market. Sometime, apps cause bugs on model but not happen in other model, that's weird for sure since hardware is different and some of Android is customization like Sense IU.

Simple, Linux suck with mobile and laptop for battery life unlike OSX and iOS4. The linux is very good for server only. That's why there is rare laptop come with Linux from any store unlike Windows and OSX. Linux is very limit app like NO VRS, no photoshop (Photoshop still better than GIMP), etc.

The outdate laptop still useless to us because most old laptops are only 1-2 hours battery life, some laptops with outdate AMD get overheat quick then hurt your legs and probably no WIFI built-in. I prefer new hardware like Macbook with 10 hours battery life and less heat.

The outdate desktop still useless for gamer because they can't stand with LAG. So Linux can do on outdate hardware just for internet and email. That's all you need? Pointless to me.

Yes, I played around computer since DOS, Win 3.11 to Win 7, OSX classic to OSX 10.6, and some linux like redhat, Slackware, Kubuntu, and Ubuntu.

My opinion that Linux is better than other OS for server. The Windows is better than other OS for gamer. The OSX is better than other OS for battery life.

Ok do you know there are now laptops from Gateway, Acer, Dell and more that runs on batteries for 10 hours or more and running Windows 7? There are some distributions that are tailor made for laptops and I service laptops a lot and I have Ubuntu installed on a 2 GB USB stick and I have loaded Ubuntu on many customer's laptops to do troubleshooting on and it is Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and it RUNS A LOT faster than the pre-installed OS and Ubuntu is installed on a limited amount of space? One of the few complaints that I have with Ubuntu is the lack of drivers for wireless devices because I have a D-Link USB adapter and connectivity would drop every 10 mins or so. But with laptops, Ubuntu seems to have almost every drivers available as I have been using customers' laptops to connect to the Internet as part of the diagnostics process and have not experienced a drop in connectivity.

Your main concern is battery life and that's fine, but don't forget there are now laptops that runs for 10 hours or more with Windows installed now and if you swap out Windows and install Linux, it is very possible to squeeze out more life from that battery, possibly 14+ hours. You can have Dell ship you a laptop with Linux pre-installed. It is not widely available because a lot of customers are not technologically inclined and will not understand how Linux works, hence the choice of OS when you are ready to purchase one from Dell and many others. Asus, HP, Gateway to name a few.

Of course not all computers are DESIGNED to play games. If you bought a laptop with onboard graphics like Intel, you will be out of luck if you wanted to play WoW because of a huge drop in FPS and lag. If you got an Alienware laptop with discrete graphics like nVidia 260 GTS or 330 GT with dedicated DDR3/DDR5 memory, you will be in gaming heaven. So, older laptops was mainly designed for gaming purposes? I don't think so, it was intended to be for business and Internet usage. SO yeah you are better off not using an older laptop because it is limited. I'm fine with it because all I need to do is use the Internet, do some office work and such. As for my gaming preferences, I rather to stick to consoles than using my computer to play games, i.e. Nintendo Wii and Sony Playstation 3 if I want to play games.

I've been using computers since I was 5 years old and I'm 31 now. I've used Amiga, Leading Edge with Windows 3.1/DOS, Windows 95, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Apple II, OS X 9.5 or something like that up to 10.6, Ubuntu, Damn Small Linux, Red Hat/Fedora, Mandrake, Slackware, UNIX, Knoppix, Gentoo and many more Linux distros.

Linux sucks on battery life for mobile devices? Then can you please explain to me how is it possible that it sucks if I use my G1, disconnected from the wall adapter at 11 a.m. at 100% and it goes down to 20% by 11 p.m. and I've been using texting, Internet, some apps to read news/articles/etc and played some games...? Does not make sense to me at all. Like I have said, and I still stress on it, it is probably the developer's fault for making a resource-intensive program that eat up battery life so if you find a program that is using up most of the battery life, uninstall it and notify the developer that they need to modify the program. There is an app in Android that allows you to take a glance at what element that is using most of the battery and you can see which one it is by looking at the bar graph and you can close it if possible and on.

Simple, Linux suck with mobile and laptop for battery life unlike OSX and iOS4. The linux is very good for server only.
well - if you think OSX and iOS4 are great..... it's because it's based on unix which is what Linux is based on. Linux is great for everything. It's just that many people do not know how to use it and many are computer-illiterate.

That's why there is rare laptop come with Linux from any store unlike Windows and OSX. Linux is very limit app like NO VRS, no photoshop (Photoshop still better than GIMP), etc.
actually - it's not that rare. Dell, HP, and Asus do offer it. Others didn't because they didn't want Microsoft to get mad at them... which means they won't get heavily-discounted price on Windows.

and you can make GIMP to look like Photoshop and function like Photoshop.

yes. each stuff is for different stuff.

the way I see it -

Blackberry is for business-oriented people for communication purpose (email, BBM, etc.).
iPhone is for computer-illiterate people who simply like fancy graphic interface.
Android is for techie people who want to do SSH/VPN/etc. no bs.

Ok do you know there are now laptops from Gateway, Acer, Dell and more that runs on batteries for 10 hours or more and running Windows 7? There are some distributions that are tailor made for laptops and I service laptops a lot and I have Ubuntu installed on a 2 GB USB stick and I have loaded Ubuntu on many customer's laptops to do troubleshooting on and it is Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and it RUNS A LOT faster than the pre-installed OS and Ubuntu is installed on a limited amount of space? One of the few complaints that I have with Ubuntu is the lack of drivers for wireless devices because I have a D-Link USB adapter and connectivity would drop every 10 mins or so. But with laptops, Ubuntu seems to have almost every drivers available as I have been using customers' laptops to connect to the Internet as part of the diagnostics process and have not experienced a drop in connectivity.

Your main concern is battery life and that's fine, but don't forget there are now laptops that runs for 10 hours or more with Windows installed now and if you swap out Windows and install Linux, it is very possible to squeeze out more life from that battery, possibly 14+ hours. You can have Dell ship you a laptop with Linux pre-installed. It is not widely available because a lot of customers are not technologically inclined and will not understand how Linux works, hence the choice of OS when you are ready to purchase one from Dell and many others. Asus, HP, Gateway to name a few.

Of course not all computers are DESIGNED to play games. If you bought a laptop with onboard graphics like Intel, you will be out of luck if you wanted to play WoW because of a huge drop in FPS and lag. If you got an Alienware laptop with discrete graphics like nVidia 260 GTS or 330 GT with dedicated DDR3/DDR5 memory, you will be in gaming heaven. So, older laptops was mainly designed for gaming purposes? I don't think so, it was intended to be for business and Internet usage. SO yeah you are better off not using an older laptop because it is limited. I'm fine with it because all I need to do is use the Internet, do some office work and such. As for my gaming preferences, I rather to stick to consoles than using my computer to play games, i.e. Nintendo Wii and Sony Playstation 3 if I want to play games.

I've been using computers since I was 5 years old and I'm 31 now. I've used Amiga, Leading Edge with Windows 3.1/DOS, Windows 95, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Apple II, OS X 9.5 or something like that up to 10.6, Ubuntu, Damn Small Linux, Red Hat/Fedora, Mandrake, Slackware, UNIX, Knoppix, Gentoo and many more Linux distros.

Linux sucks on battery life for mobile devices? Then can you please explain to me how is it possible that it sucks if I use my G1, disconnected from the wall adapter at 11 a.m. at 100% and it goes down to 20% by 11 p.m. and I've been using texting, Internet, some apps to read news/articles/etc and played some games...? Does not make sense to me at all. Like I have said, and I still stress on it, it is probably the developer's fault for making a resource-intensive program that eat up battery life so if you find a program that is using up most of the battery life, uninstall it and notify the developer that they need to modify the program. There is an app in Android that allows you to take a glance at what element that is using most of the battery and you can see which one it is by looking at the bar graph and you can close it if possible and on.

MacBook Pro has GeForce 330m GT so that's good for games, even my MacBook Pro with GeForce 9600m GT is good as well but only problem is 256 MB VRAM so can't use high or max texture and I believe that graphic card with 256 MB VRAM will be outdated in 2 years.

Yup, you can play games with onboard graphic if it is from GeForce, especially GeForce 320m but limited to low-medium setting or max on any games that came out in prior to 2006.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back