New here, need skill training advice

akoutsourais

Reaction score
ok, first a confession. I was an idiot while I was young and dropped out of college. Since then I have been married, given birth to two children, and became profoundly HOH. I'm 28.

I had a part time, later full time, job with USPS for two years. I loved working after being out of the work force for 5 years. USPS consolidated my position with another location and I found myself out of a job. It has been a nightmare trying to find a job. VR hasn't got back to me in two months, no update or nothing, emails ignored.

Sorry I tend to ramble. losing my job and having to find another one has scared the S$#T of me. My husband makes decent money, but if something happens to him, it would be quite a struggle for my family.

I want to work in the medical field in some capacity. But I'm not limited in my mind to that area. What are some good fields to look into? I can not do any job with heavy phone work and any phone work involved would have to be done with TTY or Cap Tel. I'd also prefer a career that I didn't have to use my aids so much (if at all I freaking hate them). If I can find just a part time job, my family can swing most tuition.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. My husband thinks I'm morbid because I keep saying "but if you die"....don't mean to be, just had a huge wake up call.

When you say "profoundly HOH", are you profoundly deaf (you can't hear anything at all, even with hearing aids) or are you hard-of-hearing (you can hear well with hearing aids)?

My loss is progressive, runs in the family. I'm at the point, where without my hearing aids, I can just barely hear myself talk. My aids help one on one usually, but I also have to lip read along with them. I can not hear on the phone with them, or watch a TV without CC. They probably do help me a lot, but wearing them for more than 2 hrs tends to make me exhausted, so I tend to only wear them around people I just met, or if I know I am going to be running errands involving a lot of talking.

I can just barely hear my children, but I still have to see their lips. With my husband I can hear him. I'm not sure of percentage of loss or anything. That stuff doesn't matter to me. I was just tested again in Oct, was told that I hear high pitches only when they are as loud as a jet, the lower the pitch, the better I hear it, but even at the lowest tested I had a moderate loss. I don't think I could even really have an accurate test, as it seems my mind matrixes a lot for me. Just yesterday my husband and I were watching a show, I asked my husband if the person who was being interviewed was speaking with an interpreter (he was Russian). I swear I could hear the mumblings that I usually hear when people talk on TV. My husband replied "I don't know, you have it muted, I'm reading the CC".

Back