New guy who mishears lyrics hilariously

The Teapot

Reaction score
Hola! I'm very new to this site. Never heard of it before I found it on google, today. My name is Rick, I'm 30 years old, I wear two hearing aids, and I've been hard of hearing all my life. I live about 2 hours away from NYC, where I grew up.

My hearing impairment is hereditary (from my maternal grandmother's family) and will get worse as I get older. Of my closest family, Only my sister and the youngest of my aunt's 3 sons don't have hearing problems (and people who have married into the family). In my extended family over 200 members have been born hard of hearing.

I don't speak much sign language, as no one else I know does. So, though I learned some in school when I was younger, I never was able to practice it enough to retain much.

So, I'd just like to say hi and um... someone's knocking on your door. really. go look. I'll wait.

Hi, Rick. My husband and I also come from families with hereditary deafness. :welcome:

My hearing impairment is hereditary (from my maternal grandmother's family) and will get worse as I get older. Of my closest family, Only my sister and the youngest of my aunt's 3 sons don't have hearing problems (and people who have married into the family). In my extended family over 200 members have b

I don't speak much sign language, as no one else I know does. So, though I learned some in school when I was younger, I never was able to practice it enough to retain much.
wow..... familial hohness! You could always try to get involved with the Deaf community, and use that as an excuse to learn ASL and get into ASL.....I know how it is..that's really the key...it's ann additional tool and it gives us our OWN community!!!

AND the Deaf community is getting a lot more HOH friendly, especially thanks to CIs. A lot of people think the Deaf community is just voice off severe/profound people....not at ALL....HOH people are 100% welcomed to join the community!

AND the Deaf community is getting a lot more HOH friendly, especially thanks to CIs. A lot of people think the Deaf community is just voice off severe/profound people....not at ALL....HOH people are 100% welcomed to join the community!

I never really felt very welcomed in fully deaf communities. I remember I went to college in Rochester for a semester and was put with two completely deaf people who treated me like crap. People had made fun of me or looked down on me because i couldn't speak sign language. There's the hearing community at large, and the deaf community, I always felt like one foot in each, but not really part of either. The only people I ever felt comfortable around were my own family because they knew what it was like.

Sounds like whining, and I guess it is. I have nothing against the deaf community, just not too many positive experiences. Ya know?

I never really felt very welcomed in fully deaf communities. I remember I went to college in Rochester for a semester and was put with two completely deaf people who treated me like crap. People had made fun of me or looked down on me because i couldn't speak sign language. There's the hearing community at large, and the deaf community, I always felt like one foot in each, but not really part of either. The only people I ever felt comfortable around were my own family because they knew what it was like.

Sounds like whining, and I guess it is. I have nothing against the deaf community, just not too many positive experiences. Ya know?

You're not alone and it's not whining. It's your reality. I've always described myself as having one foot in each world since hearing loss hit. You'll never be fully deaf or hearing. I tried the whole Deaf community-thing looking for a place to fit in and realized I didn't. It just wasn't for me. There are cultural differences that divide and go beyond simply sharing in an inability to hear perfectly. You should be accepted and welcomed for who you are, not be ridiculed. If you are being ridiculed.. well then it's not much of a community then is it? Any Deafie who did so should be ashamed.

I've made peace with it. It comes down to those who have only known one thing will often be ignorant. Think of the most ignorant hearing folks and the most ignorant Deaf folks... two sides of the same coin. Would you really want to find brotherhood with either despite their huge numbers? It would require dumbing your perception of life down. We have a unique perspective that should be considered a gift. Seek higher minded individuals. I've found them among the deaf and hearing. It's a bit of an adventure.

welcome to AD, I'm also hard of hearing and I do have family with hearing loss (my grandma)

Hello Rick! Welcome to AllDeaf! I am full deaf since birth. You will learn sign language someday.

Oh yeah.... and I can imagine. There is some "deafer then thou" types but strangely enough that attitude has really shrunk in the past few years amazingly......let me guess when you were there CIs were still bashed right?
But yeah, I know...and with HLAA, it tends to be not a lot of young people right? Still... try it again... you might be surprised.

Welcome Rick. There are a lot of nice people here. I have learned so much and the support has been amazing. Good luck to you!!!!!

Oh yeah.... and I can imagine. There is some "deafer then thou" types but strangely enough that attitude has really shrunk in the past few years amazingly......let me guess when you were there CIs were still bashed right?
But yeah, I know...and with HLAA, it tends to be not a lot of young people right? Still... try it again... you might be surprised.

"Deafer than thou" I like it! I don't know if anyone had CIs. I never really knew much about Cochlear Implants until my mid twenties. and it was mostly fully deaf people that gave me problems. As for trying again, I always do. My father instilled in me a philosophy of open mindednes: Always be willing to try something new, always try it at least twice. If you don't like it, that's fine, but try again in a few years, you never know.

Originally it was just to get me to try new foods when I was a kid, and to retry old ones. But it works equally well when applied to other things in life. This is another such attempt. Let it not be said, though that EVERY deaf person I met was mean or disparaging. Knew a guy who helped me out. Was a good friend for the last few weeks I was there. taught me some, even had the good heart to play interpreter. ^_^ I'm bad with names, so I'll never remember what his was again, but I know his face.

Also, I was really crappy at socializing way back when. I still am, but I can at least get over my initial shyness pretty easily.

Back