New Forum for Deaf/HoH/Hearing Firefighters - EMT - First Responders

NeilMcD

Reaction score
A new website has been launched for deaf/hoh firefighters, EMTs and First Responders.

http://deaffirefighters.us/smf/index.php

Hearing fire/EMS/FR's are welcome to join as well as deaf people who have an interest in this field.

-Neil

Good website !!!! I will pray that the Lord Jesus Christ helps your website to help many Deaf people become fire fighters. God Bless the Deaf firefighters and that God gives the Deaf firefighters courage and a very good name to be hired because of Deaf good hardworking reputation.

God also please protect and bless both Deaf and hearing firefighters to work together , have fun training hard and battling fires. God Bless...

Here is a good one you can add to your list of web links of interest...:)

http://www.firefightersworkout.com/

Heath said:
Good website !!!! I will pray that the Lord Jesus Christ helps your website to help many Deaf people become fire fighters. God Bless the Deaf firefighters and that God gives the Deaf firefighters courage and a very good name to be hired because of Deaf good hardworking reputation.

God also please protect and bless both Deaf and hearing firefighters to work together , have fun training hard and battling fires. God Bless...

Here is a good one you can add to your list of web links of interest...:)

http://www.firefightersworkout.com/

Thanks for the link and the kind words. Just to repeat: you don't need to be a firefighter/EMT or rescuer to join. If you want to learn something new or ask questions, please feel free to register and post on the website.

Nice site!! It's a start. My late uncle and great grandpa was a volunteer firefighter. My great grandpa did volunteer in the old days. I gotta find that pix somewhere. LOL

Dedication to first responders

I got this from a friend. She's the wife of a fireman. I thought I'd share it with AD. Enjoy and pass it on.

Dedicated to Paramedics, EMT’s, Fire and Police Officers and their Dispatchers:

I wish you could comprehend a wife's horror at 6AM as I check her husband of 40 years for a pulse and find none. I start CPR anyway, hoping to bring him back, knowing intuitively it is too late. But wanting his wife and family to know everything possible was done to try and save his life.

I wish you knew the unique smell of burning insulation, the taste of soot-filled mucus, the feeling of intense heat through your turnout gear, the sound of flames crackling, the eeriness of being able to see absolutely nothing in dense smoke-sensations that I've become too familiar with.

I wish you could read my mind as I respond to a call, Is this a false alarm or a working fire? How is the building constructed? What Hazards await me? Is anyone trapped?". Or to call and ask what is wrong with the patient? Is it minor or life threatening? Is the caller really in distress? Is he waiting for us with a 2x4 or a gun?

I wish you could be in the emergency room, as a doctor pronounces dead, the beautiful five-year old girl that I have been trying to save during the past 25 minutes, knowing she will never go on her first date or say the words, "I love you Mommy", ever again.

I wish you could know the frustration I feel in the cab of the ambulance or engine or cruiser, the driver with his foot pressing down hard on the pedal, my arm tugging again and again at the air horn chain, as you fail to yield the right-of-way at an intersection or in traffic. When you need us however, your first comment upon our arrival will be, "It took you forever to get here!"

I wish you could know my thoughts as I help extricate a girl of teenage years from the remains of her automobile. What if this was my daughter, sister, my girlfriend or a friend? What were her parent’s reactions going to be when they opened the door to find a police officer with hat in hand?

I wish you could know how it feels to walk in the back door and greet my parents and family, not having the heart to tell them that I nearly did not come back from the last call.

I wish you could know how it feels dispatching officers, firefighters and Paramedics out and when we call for them and our heart drops because no one answers back or to here a bone chilling 911 call of a child or wife needing assistance.

I wish you could feel the hurt as people verbally and sometimes physically abuse us or belittle what I do, or as they express their attitudes of "It will never happen to me".

I wish you could realize the physical, emotional and mental drain of missed meals, lost sleep and forgone social activities, in addition to all the tragedy my eyes have seen.

I wish you could know the brotherhood and self-satisfaction of helping save a life or preserving someone's property, or being able to be there in time of crisis, or creating order from total chaos.

I wish you could understand what it feels like to have a little boy tugging at your arm and asking, "Is my Mommy okay?", not even being able to look in his eyes without tears from your own and not knowing what to say. Or to have to hold back a long time friend who watches his buddy having CPR done on him as they take him away in the Medic Unit. You know all along he did not have his seat belt on. A sensation that I have become too familiar with.

Unless you have lived with this kind of life, you will never truly understand or appreciate who I am, we are, or what our job really means to us...I wish you could though.

Keep sending this on. Appreciate and support the locat EMS Paramedics and EMT's, 911 dispatchers, firefighters, and law enforcement officers in your area. One day they'll probably be saving your property or your own life. When you see them coming with lights flashing, move out of the way quickly and then pray for them/us.

Thank you for your support.

ITPjohn, please tell your friend that this was a very beautiful post.

It is something that everybody should read all over the world.

Especially the pranksters who think it's fun to pull fire alarms or to call in fake bomb threats.

These pranksters are taking precious time away from people who are dying, who are in serious need of our firefighters, bomb squads, police. These pranksters are the ones costing these people their lives.

Someday karma will come back and BITE them hard on their asses. By that, I mean they may be the ones who desperately need the help of our wonderful emergency helpers, but won't get them in time because a whole new generation of pranksters have started. And they'll be going, "Oh, why aren't they coming yet??? I need help NOW!! They aren't fast enough!!!"

Well, who made it harder for them to be quick? Who made it harder for them to respond to every call out there?

I can say this because here at my apartment, there is some prankster going around pulling fire alarms at least once a week - this happens so often that the fire department no longer responds immediately as they should. Cried Wolf a tad too often, the alarms have gone... the people don't leave their apartments anymore to make sure it's a REAL alarm.

What happens on the night that it's a REAL fire?

This is the same thing that happens all over the country at college dorms. I know this because it happened to me in Gallaudet college dorms. All too often.

What about fake bomb threats? Oh, there were many while I was at Gallaudet. My friend tells me that this year's May graduation ceremony got postponed because of a bomb threat that was fake.

My goodness, people!

What will happen when the police do not show up quickly when yet another bomb threat is called in somewhere all because that place gets fake ones many times? And THAT one is real! BOOM! And many people die, maybe even children!

I implore you, people, to have your children learn SERIOUS respect for our people who do such important work for everyone. Appreciate the hard work done by them. Wave at the cops who drive or walk by you. Do the same for firemen and paramedics. Smile at them. They all will feel a big smile and it will really make their day!

When your kids are older, read the post below to them, teach them why it is so impacting. And when they're old enough to discuss things with you, debate stuff - then start talking things out - make a big family thing out of it. Get them to think about why people should be respected and appreciated.

You know, not only they should be respected and appreciated. EVERYONE should be. Including children. Without respect and appreciation, there's no love or trust going around, and without love and trust, there's only anger and hate. Sure makes for a big nasty cycle, doesn't it?

Now I'll get off the soapbox with my long long rant! :)

Thanks folks for listening! :) And folks, if just one person thinks or changes, then all that was worth it! :)

Cheers!

Back