"Nevermind".....THAT word!!

ChrisBbacon

Reaction score
:D Hi people,

I was reading a random post and saw that someone said they hate it when people say "nevermind".

That struck a cord with me. I really really really hate it when people say that. You're having a conversation, then you miss something and say pardon. Then you miss it again. You either say pardon again, and if the person is......not a close friend etc they'll either tut or say nevermind. Grrrrrrr, we're having a conversation here, don't cut it off mid-flow.

I hate people with a low tolerance who give up on you when you've said pardon more than once. Before gettin a hearing aid (my hearing degraded 16-18, now half as good as it should be) I used to get frustrated saying sorry/pardon/what? more than twice. I would just nod, even if I didn't get what they said. Dunno why I put that in the post, but I just get frustrated with peoples'......inexperience with deaf/ Hoh people.

Anyway, anyone else get annoyed with "nevermind"

Lets start a campaign to get it taken out of the dictionary :D

Chris

P.S. I'm so grateful for all the people who visit and post on this website, its great having people to talk to who understand exactly what you're going through.

Never mind! lolz j/k, well sometime i say that when i forget.. I would say never mind. sometime i don't like when people try to tell me but they won't deny. U know.

i agree.

i totally agree with this, but i am a little guilty as well. sometimes, i would say something really stupid to my hoh friend.. and he would be like "what", then i'd be like.. never mind... but he does it to me too... cuz i am just slow period. but we're really comfortable with each other, so we either brush it off or force it out on each other... as far as other people, i think it's important that we repeat ourselves, b/c i myself hate being in that situation where i just nod my head, and i don't really know what's going on.

Ahhh.... the "n" word. :lol:

I use to say nevermind alot, without even thinking about it to my hearing and my deaf friends. I myself am hearing, and I still find myself saying it alot to my hearing friends, especially when they just dont get it, like when I am telling a joke.

Now, I try my hardest to not say "nevermind" to my deaf friends, and have only caught myself doing in once or twice in the last couple of months. The way I feel, telling a deaf person "nevermind" just because they didnt catch what you said, is basically like saying "im not going to waste my time on you making sure you get the point."

ChrisBbacon said:
:D Hi people,

I was reading a random post and saw that someone said they hate it when people say "nevermind".

That struck a cord with me. I really really really hate it when people say that. You're having a conversation, then you miss something and say pardon. Then you miss it again. You either say pardon again, and if the person is......not a close friend etc they'll either tut or say nevermind. Grrrrrrr, we're having a conversation here, don't cut it off mid-flow.

Chris

P.S. I'm so grateful for all the people who visit and post on this website, its great having people to talk to who understand exactly what you're going through.

I HATE the word nevermind. I vote to get rid of it.

I say it all the time and ppl say it to me all the time. Sometimes that annoys me, sometimes it doesnt. So I am just used to it. That is just me.

i always say nevermind cuz sometimes ppl not get it or i can't get what they are really try to say

oh well i not care about that word i ingore it

Being "you" is not always acceptable. Trust me.

Saying "nevermind" to a deaf person who is having a problem understanding the conversation is the ultimate insult.

Everyone has a "handicap" of some kind and believe me many of us need to take a good look at our own tolerance of those who are less fortunate than ourselves.

Saying "nevermind" is VERY RUDE!!!!! When someone says the word, "nevermind", it means that this person has no patience with the person who can't understand what this person is saying. (tsk, tsk, tsk)

Momoftwo

"Nevermind" is not the only one...

"Forget it", "I will explain it to you later" (and they never did!) and the infamous sigh-and-rolling-eyes.

People are SO spoiled. They think they don't need to put efforts in communication or understanding. No wonder the world is in ruins-- everybody is saying "never mind" or rolling her/his eyes because a person just don't get what you just say or explain to them.

Have some compassion. It won't kill you to take few seconds to clarify what you just said. just a FEW SECONDS.

or how about when you ask a person to repeat what they said and they just give you the look like you are an alien who just suddenly landed in front of them? or they totally ignore you. or you ask them to repeat and they only repeat part of what was said. people can be so rude!!

i am so damn happy u made this thread my friend...because u know what???? i too..............nevermind.

I must admit. I'm guilty of constantly using this phrase. In fact, its almost routine for me. I can't help it sometimes. I just get frustrated with constantly repeating myself. I've been the victim of this brush off before, too, and know its not fun. I always try to come back and explain myself better. This most often occurs with me when an interruption occurs, such as when I am at work, and a call comes up.

gnarlydorkette said:
Have some compassion. It won't kill you to take few seconds to clarify what you just said. just a FEW SECONDS.

To some people, seconds are hours, and to others, seconds make all the difference.

cental34 said:
To some people, seconds are hours, and to others, seconds make all the difference.

What the heck are you talking about....oh never mind...

I think it should be left alone. I use it from time to time.

What else would you have preferred that other person to say instead of "nevermind"?

VamPyroX said:
I think it should be left alone. I use it from time to time.

What else would you have preferred that other person to say instead of "nevermind"?

I do really not understand what you are talking about? Never mind....

Thx for the replies.

In response to gnarlydorkette, I think "nevermind", "i'll tell you later" etc. are just different ways of saying the same thing. Its just ignorance and inexperience with deaf people. Anyone who says that to a deaf person is vain and ignorant to the millions of people who are deaf, whatever degree, around the world.

In response to VamPyrox, I would rather repeat myself again than to hear you say "nevermind". Yes, its ok in some circumstances, but not with HoH people. Whats so hard about repeating yourself just one more time?

Lastly, some people have typed a sentence (e.g. mld4ds, AJ) and put nevermind at the end. Is this an attempt at a joke? If so, its a really really bad one. Are you trying to make a point? just wonderin.

Chris

Back