'Negro' on Census Form Offends Some.....

I agree with you AliciaM! I never heard anyone use the work Caucasion as a
derogatory term ! I have heard of whitey or honky use a derogatory term !
Nergo is a derogatory term ! None of my Black friends would want to be called a Nergo!

What about "nigga"?.....Blacks use it all the time, and so do "rappers". Also on TV, black comedians making comments/jokes about other "nigga's"......

Someone better inform the United Negro College Fund, the National Association of Negro Musicians, the National Council of Negro Women, and the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People that they need to update their names.

Great point!

I guess Sen. Reid was kind of late getting the word that "Negro" wasn't acceptable:

"Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada described then-Sen. Barack Obama as 'light skinned' and 'with no Negro dialect.' "
FOXNews.com - Reid Apolgizes for Racial Remarks on Obama
Whoops. Although that's kind of a dog bites man story. They might as well make the headline "World's stupidest man says something stupid."

I guess Sen. Reid was kind of late getting the word that "Negro" wasn't acceptable:

"Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada described then-Sen. Barack Obama as 'light skinned' and 'with no Negro dialect.' "
FOXNews.com - Reid Apolgizes for Racial Remarks on Obama

Of course, you have the NAACP jump in and save the day for Reid by making it official the word "negro" is totally, totally acceptable according to Hilary Shelton, the NAACP Senior VP for Advocacy and Policy. Even the Congressional Black Caucus lets Reid slide on that one, too.

NAACP Standing Behind Sen. Reid - Video - FoxNews.com

CNN Political Ticker: All politics, all the time Blog Archive - Congressional Black Caucus backs Reid - Blogs from CNN.com

But...but...blacks are like, totally, totally outraged over the Census thing (done in English).

'Negro' on Census Form Causes Stir

Looks like the goal post keeps moving in the hope to save Reid over his use of the word, "negro." But according to NAACP and the Black Congressional Caucus it would seem that the recent Census snafu over that word is really a non-issue then and no need to be concerned with? Hmmm, ok. And that Barack is a.......what, then?

When you call someone "negro" and you're speaking Spanish, it's not a good idea. I'ts a derogatory term. It is wrong to call someone "negro"! Even here, where people isn't Caucasian! I'm kinda pale because my family is, but my grandmother was African, my kids can be ...afro latinos?

Souggy, add me to the list :P I randomly speak Spanish in daily conversation :)

Of course, you have the NAACP jump in and save the day for Reid by making it official the word "negro" is totally, totally acceptable according to Hilary Shelton, the NAACP Senior VP for Advocacy and Policy. Even the Congressional Black Caucus lets Reid slide on that one, too.

I'd like to know what an organization that doesn't have the term "colored people" (NAACP) in its name thinks.

They have the "official" word on things anything related to race. If NAACP has an issue with their own last two words ( "CP" ) in their organization's name then they would've changed it a long time ago.

Now, if they say that "negro" is a perfectly acceptable as a description then why complain? Shouldn't they be the arbitrater of all things racial and what's acceptable and not? If NAACP says "negro" is in itself acceptable, then why not apply that to Obama?

They have the "official" word on things anything related to race. If NAACP has an issue with their own last two words ( "CP" ) in their organization's name then they would've changed it a long time ago.

Now, if they say that "negro" is a perfectly acceptable as a description then why complain? Shouldn't they be the arbitrater of all things racial and what's acceptable and not? If NAACP says "negro" is in itself acceptable, then why not apply that to Obama?

I agree they act as the consensus on many race issues. I just don't take their word on what's acceptable terminology because I know a lot of people, whether themselves of color or not, who take issue with the fact they retained the CP in NAACP.

I definitely don't think they should be the arbiter, and while they may give their consensus, they cannot replace the opinions of the wide variety of people who identify as being of color. I know many people who take offense to the word "negro," despite the fact the NAACP might approve of it.

What would a kokonut post be without the word "Obama" in there somewhere? Let's keep Obama out of it. :laugh2:

Perhaps the issue isn't as deep or serious as one thought with "CP"?

Most of the late-deaf refer to themselves as "hearing impaired," it doesn't means it's a good term to use. Some even use "deaf plus" for multiple disabilities, which a lot of people don't like anyway.

Same shit here with the "negro" and "coloured people."

When you call someone "negro" and you're speaking Spanish, it's not a good idea. I'ts a derogatory term. It is wrong to call someone "negro"! Even here, where people isn't Caucasian! I'm kinda pale because my family is, but my grandmother was African, my kids can be ...afro latinos?

Souggy, add me to the list :P I randomly speak Spanish in daily conversation :)

Haha. True. I was only thinking of the Spanish-speaking Americans. Suppose a Peruvian have just an equally valid say.

I think the term Negro is black, but the negro also applied as a object or not human. They would prefer Black like the White or if a black person who came from Africa or have ancestors in Africa can be call African American. For Native American, we would like to be call by our clan or tribe name. Many Whites call us savage or heretic plus other derogatory names. We do not even like the name Indians because we do not come from India. Good Grief! :roll:

I find it stupid for even black ppl to throw the N word loosely around...I don't say it period

I think the term Negro is black, but the negro also applied as a object or not human. They would prefer Black like the White or if a black person who came from Africa or have ancestors in Africa can be call African American. For Native American, we would like to be call by our clan or tribe name. Many Whites call us savage or heretic plus other derogatory names. We do not even like the name Indians because we do not come from India. Good Grief! :roll:

I agree with you. We aren't from India, we are from HERE. I like to be referred to as Cherokee/Ojibway. I hate it when someone calls us "injuns", it is a derogatory term.

Latin America got a really complex ethnic history. Some people maintained European ancestry, while others maintained African ancestry, but both groups still consider themselves as Hispanics.

I know. But why this matters on a census form, I don't understand. Why the need to try to "tease out" the European-ness or African-ness of Latinos? :dunno:

I know. But why this matters on a census form, I don't understand. Why the need to try to "tease out" the European-ness or African-ness of Latinos? :dunno:

Colors or races shouldn't be the problem. When a caucasian gets sick, he/she gets green, when he/she is embarrassed, gets red, when they die, they get purple... So, who are the "colored people"?

Back