Need Advice

ange26s

Reaction score
I have a 8 month old daughter who has profound hearing loss.We have been told she will most likely need a Cochlear implant in both ears.She has been given hearing aids(very cute pink ones!!) and we have been told that she has to have them for at least 6 months before there are any decisions made about implanting her. We have a teacher coming out weekly from NC school of deaf to help her learn to "listen." I also have a teacher come out weekly and teach me and my family ASL.I want my daughter to be able to sign as well as verbally speak,but whatever she feels more comfortable with is her choice as she gets older.But, my problem is my husband and I do not make her wear her hearing aids the way we are suppose to.She constantly pulls them out of her ears and just seems soo uncomfortable with them in.I do not force her to wear them and quit honestly hate it.I know that sounds horrible.I just dont know to do.sometimes I just feel like a horrible parent and sometimes I feel like there is no wrong or right way for us.I just want my daughter to have choices and know I did everything I could for her.But,at this point I feel like I am hindering her oral communication by not enforcing her hearing aid use.

8 months old wearing hearing aid. Wayyyyyyyyyyyy too young and dont understand why she had to hear it. I would wait til she is older like 2 yrs old and then work your way up to have her wear hearing aid.

For now just put her hearing aid in and let her wear it for 15 minutes each day til she is comfortable. Once she feel comfortable increase the time of wearing it

I am hard of hearing and I do speak ASL and english. I can talk like hearing person there is lot of deaf and hard of hearing ppl who can talk and sign without having CI.

8 months old wearing hearing aid. Wayyyyyyyyyyyy too young and dont understand why she had to hear it. I would wait til she is older like 2 yrs old and then work your way up to have her wear hearing aid.

For now just put her hearing aid in and let her wear it for 15 minutes each day til she is comfortable. Once she feel comfortable increase the time of wearing it

I am hard of hearing and I do speak ASL and english. I can talk like hearing person there is lot of deaf and hard of hearing ppl who can talk and sign without having CI.

Iam the same too..I can talk pretty well and know ASL..no CIs here but the CIs could probably help with listening skills depending on the person.

I wore body HAs starting at 7 months old. I dont know if I pulled them out or not. Will have to ask my mom.

U are doing the right thing..not forcing her to wear them if she doesnt want to wear them but still keep on trying and eventually she will get used to them. I know so many small children who pull out their CIs or HAs. Guess they feel funny to them at first...

Starting point: Nobody -needs- to get CIs. They have major risks (as with any operation!) and many possible benefits. They're nowhere near as simple as hearing aids, nor are they required for your child to learn to speak. That said, I'm in no way against them. Your choice.

As for the hearing aids, she's young. She has no way (no child, hearing or Deaf could) of communicating with you any problems with them. If the aid is hurting her ear, she can only express it by pulling it away. The same goes if theres sound problems, feedback or whatnot. There's no "right way" to do it. My primary suggestion would be to get the aids checked out- I listed the possible problems that might be encouraging her to tug them away. My other would be to in the meantime, not stress it too much. Not forcing hearing aids on your child doesn't make you a terrible parent.

Take care.

Back