Need a little help....

Kmasta85

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm working on a business project here at the University of Miami (go canes!) and would LOVE to pick your brains a little. First, let me preface this with I am a complete novice to the "deaf world" so please be patient with my ignorance. Also please do not hesitate to point out if anything I say is dumb or offensive, I really don't want to hurt anyone.

I'm a person of "special needs" as well suffering from Limb Girdle Muscular Dystrophy. I'm not severely disabled, just enough to make everyday a challenge. As my disease progresses, I've been more and more aware of how people and establishments treat those with "special needs." That phrase is the best I can come up with to encompass those who are within my focus; wheelchair dependent, have limited mobility, Deaf/hard of hearing, or Blind/Limited Sight. (If you have a better name, PLEASE let me know.)

My topic of discussion for you all is in regards to public places and what is helpful. I know that personally, I attempt to go about my daily life as independently as possible or at least with little help from my family/friends. When you're going somewhere such as a Restaurant, Movie Theatre, Museum, Hotel, Airline, Zoo Etc. are there certain things that automatically make your life easier? What kind of help is appreciated? What's offensive? I would reallllllllllly appreciate your input because as you can see I'm quite lost.

This is an example someone who is in a wheelchair....they may notice things to the affect of... Does the place have an elevator? If so, is it big enough for me move around in it comfortably? Do the doors stay open long enough? Do they have the laser feature that keeps them from closing on me? Are the buttons within reach of someone in a chair? Etc. Hopefully this example will help you understand what I'm looking for.

In advance, THANK YOU, I really appreciate any input you all could offer.
<3 Krista
[/FONT]

I have a friend who has some sort of disorder that prevents him from walking without assistance. Although he has a scooter, he chooses to walk with the assistance of his walking frame and friends. It is not easy to transport a scooter in a car, especially considering that scooter's are bulky. So, I guess unlike you, my friend is very dependent - at least whenever he is out with his friends.

Anyway, I realise that there are lot of things that are supposed to make life easier for people who require "special needs". But, I have also noticed that most of the time, people with special needs still need to rely on somebody to help them. For example, a lift may only be operated whenever an employee is available, which can waste a lot of time if you have to ask for an employee.

Also, from what I have observed with my friend, everyone has been very patient, and usually go out of their way to help him. Perhaps because my friend is also a bodybuilder, people may feel intimidated? For example, people would hold the door open, or move chairs away from tables in the restaurant, etc.

Thank you very much for your input! Since, I'm disabled I pretty much have a pretty good idea of using scooters/wheelchairs/canes etc. I'm sorry I wasn't clear above.

I'm specifically looking for the POV from persons in the Deaf community regarding their experiences being Deaf. I've read up on difference services available such as TTY. I'm just wondering what else is helpful when you're out and about. If anyone is unclear on what I'm looking for, please feel free to ask questions! Thankssss again

What I find amusing....

I'm new to this forum, and I wanted to gain a little insight into your world. I wrote a thread, a few of you read it, no one responded. Maybe I should have tried to insult you because you all had opinions when the guy asked whether you could read and write.

I'm sorry if this sounds rude, I just speak my mind.

Again I ask, when you're "out and about" what's helpful to the Deaf community? Services? Attitudes? Actions? Please reply, it would be a great help. Thank you!

Hello K
Ahhh....you have to realize that there are a lot of people from 'hearie world' that come to deaf sites for info-school projects, etc. A lot of us try and get involved with questions but it becomes a regular thing sometimes.
The last two days have been very slow here....beggining of week. Patience.
Ahhh yes....well there is an insight to the deaf world......not much to say maybe but when the doo doo hits the fan look out....lol
Insults won't help...trust me.
ahh let's see.........I'm hoh so I don't have the same extent problems.
I guess if it is a place where deafies hang out...then people know it by seeing signers.....out in the public though it's like hearies don't think about it.....the possiblity that perhaps this person really can't hear. They always assume they are heard. Just more educatinig of hearies so they may think of it once in a while. some areas have few deafies so.....it doesn't happen. With hoh peeps often the public will assume they hear everything if they happened to pick up one sentence or halfazz function trying to fit into context.
So...what would be nice is a little flashing light beeps in hearies head before they interact with anyone....and then the blinking scrollbar informing maybe a deafie in the road......lol....not a doable thing....but it would be along those lines. R2D2 where are you.
I guess just educating hearies. You got the right word....attitudes.
I'm sure some situations could warrant a sign or somthing but we are kinda scattered.
I'm sure some peeps have better ideas.....
nice pic by the way

You know what I find amusing? That a college student would come to a deaf website requesting help with a project instead of actually making the effort to locate and interview members of the Deaf community in their area, and then become indignant when replies are slow coming in. Surely there are some deaf students on campus. Locate them and talk with them. How about contacting your local deaf/hoh organizations? I'm sure they can put you touch with numerous individuals who can provide you with information.

Research and the understanding that comes from it is a process requiring effort and actual contact with the population you are seeking to understand. You could even do a search on this website. The answers to your question are all around you, in numerous threads. It is incumbent on you to look for them.

more like... misunderstand.

Suppose I said.. "wow, you're hot!" Then you slap my face. Owie....

Hi Jillio,

I'm sorry, amusing was the wrong word to use and I realized that afterward....but I couldn't change it. "Interesting" would be a better fit.

You're right, I could probably find groups to visit and talk with. First, I'm disabled and getting around is difficult and an arduous task. So my first instinct is to use the internet, a fantastic resource and something I can do easily from my home. Second, I think speaking face to face can sometimes to be intrusive. Frequently I'm asked by perfect strangers about my disability when I'm just trying to go about my daily life, and I thought maybe people would be more open if I wasn't putting them on the spot.

I am reading many of the threads but they're not offering the details that I'm looking for. Maybe I should have gone into detail on what the project is about. My inspiration came from my own personal experiences. As I go about my life I realize that certain places/venues are more open and suited for those with "special needs." For example, for someone who is blind a restaurant that is super cluttered and the furniture in it is very crowded, may struggle walking around. The idea is to create a system through a website and then eventually a publication like a "zagat guide" to rate and review public places in cities so someone who has "special needs" would know what places can meet their needs. (Use it as a reference.) Get it?

I'm sorry if using this site seems like I'm taking the easy way out, I'm just looking at it as another resource. (I've already talked with a few people I know who are HOH or Deaf.) I just figured this would allow me to explore the rest of the US not just the ones I have closest contact with.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Krista

So your project is more about geographical differences in accommodations provided?

Krista, I merged the second thread with the first. They're about the same thing. Possibly they both should be in the introduction sub forum, but you seem impatient for responses to an academic project rather than wanting to meet folks at AllDeaf, so maybe leaving it here will better serve your needs. I hope so.

Join the crowd about speaking your mind . . . or for that matter not speaking one's mind when inundated by demands to jump through hoops for school projects.

Thanks Cowpuppy for your response. If you think of anything else I would love to hear about it.

Poweron, I'm not sure what you're saying....maybe you could explain. Sorry.

Thanks Chase for your help. I'm new to "forums and threads" in general so I'm sure I'm making a fool of myself in where and how i'm posting.

Jillio,

Not geographically per se. We're going to start off evaluating Miami because that's where I currently reside. From there we're hoping to expand into other major cities.

For now, I'm just trying understand a Deaf person's experience. Basically, when you walk into lets say a restaurant, what are things that would be a struggle for you? What is helpful at the restaurant? For example, one friend who is HOH said that she likes to go to restaurants where they post the daily specials on a board because she has a hard time following what the waiter says if he presents them orally.
The idea is that I'll be hiring persons with specific "special needs" to go into public places to rate and review how their experience was at that place. They'll be given specific things to look for, and they'll fill out an evaluation. I have first hand knowledge of what a disabled person needs/wants...I need information regarding the Deaf culture. Hope this helps.

Thanks again everyone for your responses!

I have a friend who has some sort of disorder that prevents him from walking without assistance. Although he has a scooter, he chooses to walk with the assistance of his walking frame and friends. It is not easy to transport a scooter in a car, especially considering that scooter's are bulky. So, I guess unlike you, my friend is very dependent - at least whenever he is out with his friends.

Anyway, I realise that there are lot of things that are supposed to make life easier for people who require "special needs". But, I have also noticed that most of the time, people with special needs still need to rely on somebody to help them. For example, a lift may only be operated whenever an employee is available, which can waste a lot of time if you have to ask for an employee.

Also, from what I have observed with my friend, everyone has been very patient, and usually go out of their way to help him. Perhaps because my friend is also a bodybuilder, people may feel intimidated? For example, people would hold the door open, or move chairs away from tables in the restaurant, etc.
One common reason for having employee-only-operated machinery is due to insurance purposes.

Back