National Association Of The Deaf Files Complaints Against Chase Bank For Rejecting Re

Miss-Delectable

Reaction score
Lifelinks Offers Free Live Video Tutoring Service for Deaf Children/Students Over PC

National Association of the Deaf (NAD) filed two complaints with the United States Department of Justice (DOJ) against Chase Bank, the consumer and commercial banking section of JPMorgan Chase & Co. The complaints allege that Chase Bank refused to accept telephone calls from deaf individuals using relay services in violation of Title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).

One complainant, a Chase Bank customer who is deaf, tried to access account services made available by Chase Bank by telephone by using a relay service and a TTY. This complainant's relay service calls were rejected by bank representatives and his TTY calls were unanswered. Another Chase Bank customer who is deaf, tried to access Chase Bank's Online Banking Technical Support made available by telephone 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. After calling using a relay service, this complainant was told he could receive assistance only by using a TTY and only Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time.

"It is discriminatory when deaf individuals face unnecessary barriers to effective communication," said Marc Charmatz, Senior Attorney with the NAD Law and Advocacy Center. "Deaf individuals should have equal access to bank services that are provided to all bank customers over the telephone."

"The Telecommunications Relay Service system was created to enable businesses to communicate with people who are deaf or hard of hearing in a manner that is functionally equivalent to telephone users, without the need for businesses to equip themselves with TTYs," said Rosaline Crawford, Director of the NAD Law and Advocacy Center.

In the complaints, the NAD argues that under the ADA, Chase Bank has an obligation to accept calls made through a Telecommunications Relay Service by individuals who are deaf or hard of hearing if it accepts telephone calls from individuals who are not deaf or hard of hearing.

Both complainants requested that the Department of Justice investigate their complaints, order Chase Bank to cease its discriminatory practices, order Chase Bank to promulgate written policies and procedures to ensure that Chase Bank will accept calls placed through relay services, and order Chase Bank to notify individuals with disabilities of their rights to use relay services to communicate with Chase Bank.

Whatever happened to the case of Bank of America for the same thing?

I was one of the complainants.

They didnt do it because I wasnt 'deaf enuff' ?

Richard

I'm furious. I'm gonna do a Vlog tonight slamming NAD for being too selective.

Richard

NAD is just like AFA, it was organization.

NAD is responsible for taking care of HoH and deaf people.

AFA is responsible for taking care of Christians.

Oy. People have to realize that NOT ALL deaf people has a TTY... sheesh.

I don't understand what your'e getting at. Care to explain or re-read?

I dont have a TTY anymore due to being able to make relay calls using my pager, computer or VP.

I dont have a TTY anymore due to being able to make relay calls using my pager, computer or VP.

Oic but the gist of the article is that this organization refused to take TTY calls, right?

Oic but the gist of the article is that this organization refused to take TTY calls, right?

National Association of the Deaf (NAD) filed two complaints with the United States Department of Justice (DOJ) against Chase Bank, the consumer and commercial banking section of JPMorgan Chase & Co. The complaints allege that Chase Bank refused to accept telephone calls from deaf individuals using relay services in violation of Title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).

One complainant, a Chase Bank customer who is deaf, tried to access account services made available by Chase Bank by telephone by using a relay service and a TTY. This complainant's relay service calls were rejected by bank representatives and his TTY calls were unanswered. Another Chase Bank customer who is deaf, tried to access Chase Bank's Online Banking Technical Support made available by telephone 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. After calling using a relay service, this complainant was told he could receive assistance only by using a TTY and only Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time.

See the red..it said that the bank refused to take relay calls and in one case the complainant's relay calls were rejected and the tty call went unanswered.

It is apparent that relay calls were refused but I dont know about the unanswered tty calls..if that was deliberate or the people didnt know how to use it and didnt answer it? I dont see anywhere in the article that the bank purposely rejected tty calls. Maybe u saw it? If so, can u show me? Thanks

Thanks, Shel but I already know this because I glanced at the article to get to the heart of it. I was wondering what Wildhunt meant ....got it now? I'm asking her what "......not all deafies have TTYs...." had to do with that bank's refusing to take TTY calls....that's all....thanks again, tho....

...complainant's relay service calls were rejected by bank representatives and his TTY calls were unanswered...Another Chase Bank customer who is deaf, tried to access Chase Bank's Online Banking Technical Support made available by telephone 24 hours a day, 7 days a week...After calling using a relay service, this complainant was told he could receive assistance only by using a TTY and only Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time...

I have had this happen to me many times when I tried to call either my bank or the national student loans TTY line. I always get the answering machine telling me to leave my information and they (the bank or student loans) will call back. They never call back (the TTY has an answering machine plus we have call display).

I give up after a few times with the TTY thing and I call them (the bank or student loans) direct with the relay service and when I do they always tell me to call back with the TTY number. I say okay I'll call you right back on the TTY. They're like okay, bye bye. Well, slap me silly the same thing happens; get the answering machine. What happened to the person I just talked to? Isn't anyone there? You just told me to call the TTY and someone would answer.

I call back using the relay service and tell them I just called your TTY number like two or three times but no one answered. They always make it sound like I am lying and the phone did not ring. It is like a back-and-forth game, and by the time they finally accept my relay call 15 minutes have gone by and the whole reason I called in the first place could have been fixed in that time if they had just accepted my call like any other call in the first place!

Both the bank and student loans make me feel like it is such an inconvenience for them to use the relay service, but then they never bother to use the TTY and never bother to return the calls. I haven't had either the bank or the student loans place outright refuse to take the relay call, but they always drag it on as they keep telling me to use the TTY line and yet they never answer it, back and forth until finally they reluctantly accept and continue with my relay call. It's crazy! :pissed:

Back