Nasal infection

Hey! WB!! :)

Yeah, I revived your thread! :lol: I've been having trouble with sinus infections since I was a child. About 4 mos ago, I was diagnosed with polyps, and we were treating them with nasal sprays and a decongestant in pill form. The infections worsened, however, and I began getting them every 2-3 wks. It was at that time I decided to opt for surgery. I had the surgery to remove the polyps and also to remove the infection that present two weeks ago this Wed. I went back for my follow up last week and had the packing removed. I go back on Wed for another recheck. I was told that it would take up to six weeks for everything to heal. So far, though, I'm doing well. The first day or so after surgery was NOT FUN, though. I was in alot of pain. But, after that, the initial recovery went smoothly.

Yea, I knew about "Polyps" which I have had in past. Yea I agree with your dr for take up to 6 weeks for everything to heal.. I am glad to hear that you are doing do well. So keep up until a year after that and let me know. OK? Yea its not fun but it is worth your life. U know what I mean! That pain is so shyt but worth your life and it's helpful! U know!

Are you planning to use the Neti pot to wash out the old blood in a couple of weeks or a few months? I wonder if this would help you. It will be nice for you to get the smell back.

Are you planning to use the Neti pot to wash out the old blood in a couple of weeks or a few months? I wonder if this would help you. It will be nice for you to get the smell back.

The temporary loss of smell is the result of traumatized tissue and nerves from the surgery, not the presence of old blood. It should come back as the tissues heal.

Neti pot been around a few years now and it starting to be more popluar now for people to use it to help their sinus and allgeries. I just brought mine last year. It's such a big relief to me and it works! The neti pot is the best little gross-out device on the market today. Being touted as a miracle cure for colds, sinus headaches, and the sleeplessness associated with sinus related conditions, the neti pot is an ancient Indian device that irrigates the nasal passages. Give it a try and I promise you that you will feel so much better. Without being indelicate, you use a neti pot to pour a small amount of saltwater solution into your nose to irrigate your nasal passages and flush out impurities. The goal is to introduce the water into one nostril and have it drain out of the other. As the salt water makes its circuit, it loosens and removes particulates and mucus. Concentrations of mucus and foreign matter that you inadvertently introduce into your system clog your sinus passages, causing headaches, making it hard to breathe, and creating a breeding ground for germs.

Tips on How to Use a Neti Pot:

If you're still interested, here are some tips on using this handy tool:

Make sure that you follow all of the package directions for use, including all cautions.

When making your salt solution, use non-iodized salt.

Use warm water.

Dissolve all salt thoroughly. Partially dissolved salt crystals can cut or score your delicate nasal tissues.

Go slow at first.

This is a new experience and feels a little strange; so don't rush it.

After flushing, be careful to lean forward in order to avoid swallowing water.

There can be quite a bit of impacted material, which is one of the reasons you're so uncomfortable. Don't let your distaste for the process make you lose sight of the benefits.
[yt]uzK9Gn4E_Eg[/yt]

The temporary loss of smell is the result of traumatized tissue and nerves from the surgery, not the presence of old blood. It should come back as the tissues heal.

Yep, I know. Her nasal may needs to clean it out later after it healed if it bothers her because of the old dried blood in the nasal path. Whatever she feels like to clean it out or not. Actually, I never knew the neti pot at that time when I had the surgery.

I'm not using a Neti pot. I use a saline wash several times a day. As for my sense of smell and taste both, they've come back. It's great being able to taste food again, but I got used to the lack of sense of smell. My sense of smell is so acute now that I almost hate it!

Be careful what you wish for, I guess, because you might get more than you bargained for! :lol:

That's true. Check my post above. My sense of smell has come back, and I almost regret it! :lol:

I'm not using a Neti pot. I use a saline wash several times a day. As for my sense of smell and taste both, they've come back. It's great being able to taste food again, but I got used to the lack of sense of smell. My sense of smell is so acute now that I almost hate it!

Be careful what you wish for, I guess, because you might get more than you bargained for! :lol:

Okay, how do you use with the saline wash? Spray, or use hand?

I don't like the way the Neti pot look (Google image) because it looks that it is hard to wash inside the pot's tiny hole. I could use the brush, but I am not going to spend 15 minutes for one little thing. hmm, maybe an old tea pot as long as I don't put a tea bag in with a very hot water by mistake. aahh! :giggle:

Okay, how do you use with the saline wash? Spray, or use hand?

I don't like the way the Neti pot look (Google image) because it looks that it is hard to wash inside the pot's tiny hole. I could use the brush, but I am not going to spend 15 minutes for one little thing. hmm, maybe an old tea pot as long as I don't put a tea bag in with a very hot water by mistake. aahh! :giggle:

Its a spay that I use several times a day.

As for the Neti pot, it's not for me.

I saw my ENT today for my second follow up He said everything is healing nicely. I've got my sense of smell and taste back, and I CAN FINALLY BLOW MY NOSE!!! I also can breathe freely through both sides of my nose.

I know... Wow, exciting. lol But, for me it was! He said it would probably take up to 4 more weeks to complete healing, but I don't have to go back. He's released me from his care. :)

I saw my ENT today for my second follow up He said everything is healing nicely. I've got my sense of smell and taste back, and I CAN FINALLY BLOW MY NOSE!!! I also can breathe freely through both sides of my nose.

I know... Wow, exciting. lol But, for me it was! He said it would probably take up to 4 more weeks to complete healing, but I don't have to go back. He's released me from his care. :)

Congratulations! You've graduated!

hello everyone in this thread.

yes, neilmed is helpful.

some users in this thread gave us a wonderful explanation when i just reviewed.

If you have any nasal problems with polyps, just follow doctor's advice. health is important.

thanks a lot to some users in this thread.

Here we go again...

Well, here we go again, folks...

It's been about two years since my polyps were removed, but, they may have reformed. I have been having reocuring sinus infections, and I'm currently half way through my second round of antibiotics in about two weeks. Once this infection clears, I have an appt with my ENT (the guy that did the original surgery) to check for polyps.

I'll keep everyone posted. *sigh*

And, here we are nearly two years later, and I don't know what happened. I quit having so many infections, so I never followed up with the ENT. I guess the polyps never grew back. However, I still have a deviated septum that I keep threatening to have fixed, but, haven't yet. I guess I will one of these days. But, I am really NOT a fan of being cut on, so if I'm not having issues, I'm gonna leave things alone.

Life got crazy on my family (most of you know about my Dad...), so I'm really not keen on adding anything to our plate, atm...

As for him, that's for a different thread, but the short version is... He's getting sicker as time goes on. :aw:

Back