MYTH: "Teachers get the summers off."

deafbajagal

Reaction score
Teachers get the summers "off."

:bsflag:

A Deaf teacher I know took a workshop to keep up her skills. What did you do during the summer?

I work two jobs over the summer and go to workshops. Yep, summers off are a bunch a bullshit now with all the constant demands since NLCB was enacted.

I work two jobs over the summer and go to workshops. Yep, summers off are a bunch a bullshit now with all the constant demands since NLCB was enacted.

What kind of demands? Examples, please. Thanks!

What kind of demands? Examples, please. Thanks!

To take more classes to become highly qualified even though I am certified and no pay raise for that. That's one.

Here, the teachers do get paid during the summer. You see, they are paid on a salary and it is stretched over the year. Although the same cannot be said for the others like educational assistants, interpreters, etc. They don't get paid during the summer, they often have to apply for EI (Employment Insurance), which is like welfare for the unemployed.

Keep in mind that it varies from place to place, it's not the same for everyone.

To take more classes to become highly qualified even though I am certified and no pay raise for that. That's one.

Here, you can get pay raises for taking AQ (Additional Qualifications) courses.

Here, the teachers do get paid during the summer. You see, they are paid on a salary and it is stretched over the year. Although the same cannot be said for the others like educational assistants, interpreters, etc. They don't get paid during the summer, they often have to apply for EI (Employment Insurance), which is like welfare for the unemployed.

Keep in mind that it varies from place to place, it's not the same for everyone.

Same as in Texas

Here, you can get pay raises for taking AQ (Additional Qualifications) courses.

Also possible in Texas. Texas also offers an incredible retirement plan to all school employees. One of the best I have seen.

The golf pro at one of my clubs is a high school english teacher. He works at the club during summers and one Saturday a month during the school year but that is mainly so he can practice at a great course and keep his game sharp. He is at the course teaching or playing all day everyday during the summer. We played often. Great guy.

My sister....a 3rd grade teacher traveled all summer with an elite baseball team and hardly ever saw her own house June-August much less work.

Maybe things are better for teachers in Texas.... :dunno:

Maybe things are better for teachers in Texas.... :dunno:

That's the thing, it does vary from place to place. From instance, teachers get paid a lot more in Yukon than they do in the other provinces. However, that's probably something to do with the fact that they don't have a big population and that the cost of living is expensive there as well.

when ppl say that teachers get summers off they mean they're not tied to the school, nothing obligates them to continue working elsewhere. (unless they need to take summer classes to "re-qualify" themselves) but anyways because of recent law changes made by idiots here in WI, idk y anyone would wannabe a teacher!

yuck! you gotta pay for your own supplies in a classroom filled with pubescent teens who are now learning about themselves and therefore feel the need for causing un-needed drama around their lives (so you know school isn't on the top of their "givea s@@@ list"), but somehow you're supposed to break past all of that so they have good enough grades so that you won't get canned... then no matter what; a majority of the ones who have bad grades will tell their parents up and down that you're out to get them (this used to not be a problem in the U.S. but now more parents are siding with their kids). If you can deal with that you still have to remember that you gotta take work home with you most of the time (varies between the type of teacher) and when in WI your pay gets docked every so often along with the worry of your position being swept from under you, and because there's no more unions- teachers can't negotiate class seizes.

again y would you wanna be a teacher? did i get off topic? :giggle:

I grew up under a teacher, my dad is a retired biology teacher. Yeah, before NCLB - he did get summers off. After that, he would have to take 2-3 workshops in the summer along with two big conferences in the school year. He also drove the elementary summer school bus during the summers for money. His contract was set up so that his salary was stretched out over a 12 month period rather than a 9 month period.

Also during the school year he would have to put in 12 hour days because he had so much record keeping and paperwork to do. He had to make 5 copies of everything, including his grade books along with one copy being sent to the superintendent, one copy to the principal, and another copy into the school records/data base that was sent to the State Board of Education every so often for the school's evaluation, then he had to back all of this up to his classroom computer along with having a hard paper copy in his files.

I can tell a huge difference from the time I started school in 1989 until I graduated in 2002. The funny thing was the major shift didn't come until 1999/2000. He retired in 2008 from teaching.

Back