Mystery of Motivation! What the hell are you?

Booze makes me physically sick.

I take you're not a natural born Epicureanism. On second thought, since it causes you pain you'd want to avoid it.. :hmm: You're not disqualifed after all.

Wirelessly posted (droid)

I can't have alcohol because of my meds. I kinda miss wine but it's not a big deal for me.

Have your hubby haul the bag of frozen chicken! I'm sure you can motivate him to do so. :giggle:

I suspect she was talking about her second job. Can't imagine her having that much chicken in her house. :lol:

:lol:

Ooops, I better get working on doing my 65 for the day. I pulled a neck muscle this morning while hauling a huge bag of frozen chicken from the basement freezer. First time I ever did that in my life. Not a good feeling at all.

aw. im sorry. sometimes workout helps but handle the workout activity properly or someone gets hurt. like me. eh. huge bag of frozen chicken sounds like too heavy for me though hope you feel better soon.

Wirelessly posted

Lol@this thread. Everyone is being silly today!

Have your hubby haul the bag of frozen chicken! I'm sure you can motivate him to do so. :giggle:

He is at work. Needed the chicken to cook dinner. It is not really that heavy....I picked it up at the wrong angle and somehow ended up pulling my neck muscle.That's a first for me. Just a ooops. Hopefully, it will heal tmw.

I suspect she was talking about her second job. Can't imagine her having that much chicken in her house. :lol:

Not working today. My hubby buys meat in stock and puts them in the freezer in the basement. He didnt have time to re-pack all the meats yesterday so they are all in their orginal packages.

Oops..this is not the "Anything Goes" thread, isnt it?

My motivation came from my mother, (Biological), since she was a hard worker, I got my work ethic from her.... and my Dad an alcoholic.....I love challenge or someone telling me I can't do something for whatever reason (as long as it's legal). Psychological, (to my way of thinking) I had/have the drive and guts to succeed and survive and not falling into the traps of alcoholism and drugs, as some of my family did. Even knowing that it's "OK" to be alone...when others are so concerned about finding a mate....

I set the bar very high during my young years for myself. Now I can sit back and reminisce.

I have never thought of motivation as biological or psychological. I always think of it in terms of intrinsic or extrinsic.

Motivation is based on a perceived reward. Look at dogs or other animals and how they are trained. All training uses a reward system. Even the clicker is a reward because the treat is trained with the clicker so the dog eventually gets a psychological reward at the click. Now look at humans and consider why we do things every day. I get up in the morning because I have to pee. I eat because I am hungry. I go to work because I get paid.

Why these rewards no longer work for somepeople is a study in itself. I know I should get up in the morning but I just don't want to....

I know about training dogs, but I don't know about training people. I have however used some of my dog training tricks on people very successfully. I think this shows that fundamentally how our brains work and the biology of such is similar. We can take that reward system to a much higher level than a dog can. My reward might be seeing someone else happy again. Dog doesn't care about your happiness, he only cares about your energy level.

You have to decide for yourself what your reward is going to be. You may even need to put a reminder in front of you to motivate yourself to get up in the morning. Creating a routine helps with this (and really helps with dog training too!!!).

Interesting OP and a good one for the beginning of January -- IMHO. :)

A while back I was ripping through biographies. I even read one about Arnold Schwarzenegger! As much as its possible to get a sense of someone through the PR wall I don't think I would like him if I met him in real life. I wouldn't go out of my way to watch one of his movies either. But I find him fascinating because its rare to see someone from a modest background become so successful. The author quotes AS as saying he attributes his success to unusually good "brain chemistry." :hmm: If someone is usually optimistic, energetic, determined, doesn't get discouraged easily, etc. -- I suppose its possible that brain chemistry has a lot to do with that. It's certainly an interesting take.

I also think that most people who have a lot of motivation and are consistently motivated and working on their goals don't try to do it alone. It seems they usually have a little club of supporters. It might be a mutual support team or it might be one that is more focused on them -- depending upon their personality type.

You had to ask this on a day when I haven't had much sleep, didn't you?

I say it depends on the situation. There is no percentage, in my opinion.

You have physical motivators, which people have already mentioned: Food, sleep (need more SLEEEP!), sex. Then, you have psychological ones: rewards, sense of accomplishment, crossing things off the to-do list, better health, etc. Then, you have spiritual or cosmic motivations, which are different for every person.

For me, art is very much a spiritually motivated pursuit. I like that I can make money from it (occasionally,) but I do it, because I have a deep-seated NEED to do it. I can't NOT do it. Going to work? That's all psychological: I have to pay my bills.

Good thread!

Jen M.

:laugh2:Throughout the years, I've been observing the behaviors of motivation and came to several realizations about it that lead to me begging questions about it left and right (oh joy...) so here are my questions and keep in mind, the questions themselves are subjected to unique perspectives and one's own interpretation:

1. Is motivation Biological or Psychological? If it's both, how much of each in percentage and why? Depends on what kind of motivation you're asking about. From a biological perspective we are motivated to eat and for what? To bring in nourishment. Motivation in this regard to me is inate. Example, hunger pangs= you got it, motivation, a want for food. From a psychological perspective read below.

2. What makes Motivation motivation? What is it's defining characteristics and what makes it so enduring for us to want it? Simple, what makes a car run? You can apply motivation to this. Some require regular unleaded to get going, others require premium. Motivation is not something that can be a true want. You either have it, or you don't. Motivation is the result of wanting to elict change, good or bad. It takes will power to have motivation. If you don't have will power you might as well be sitting in the passenger side of the car.

And lastly:
3. Why the hell are you, Mister Motivation, so eluding? In another word, why is motivation so hard to gain and hold onto? Why is it like molesting a slippery eel just to get it's benefits while it's mischievously informing you it's also an electric eel to boot?[/quote] To be motivated you must be inspired firstly, and secondly you must also have the stamina or will power to keep going regardless of the outcome until you reach whatever goal you are reaching for. Ha, I like the slippery eel comment...even if it's an electric eel, keep shoving for it.:laugh2:

Questions have already been stated and asked. Those on it's own are it's own clarifications.

But for the purpose of why I'm asking those questions is because, like I said above, there are many people who wonders why motivation is such a hard thing to maintain and keep such things at full steam. If those questions doesn't make you wonder and think deeper about the functions of motivation...

If that's not enough to "clarify" it for you, then I can't color myself surprised...

Right...
how offensive of you.

Back