My son is getting a CI

Part of attending school is the socialization aspect.
That's very true....a HUGE part of attending school is socialization and developing social skills. It's not just learning the three Rs.
That's why its important to stay on top of things and to constantly be monitoring and re-evaluating your child's education placement.
YES!!!! And don't be afraid to change your child's education placement. Hearing parents seem to think that the neighborhood school with minimal accomondations is always the best placement. It can be for some kids, but it can also be not the best choice.

Remember, when your son gets a CI, he will never be able to play sports. It's too dangerous with a CI attached to the brain.

Yiz

Wrong. I went to public elementary school and played all kinds of sports (baseball, soccer, basketball, football, etc.) and heck, it was without a helmet, hat, beanie, etc.. I use a stronger magnet, so it stays on as I do physical activities. Now with helmets and all, you can be sure that your device is safe and sound... :cool2:

Been "there" and back. No surgeries or problems whatsoever with the devices.

Otherwise your surgeons and doctors will tell you to never do physical activities or be limited to some physical activities in the first place... :deaf:

EDIT: I wish you good luck and if you got questions, pm me and I will share my experiences/info... :)

Sounds like many people are misunderstanding what the doctors/audiologists are saying:

You can play any kind of sports if you are not wearing a CI.

When wearing a CI, it is the same thing as wearing a hearing aid, except the antennae is more susceptible to coming off your head than a hearing aid being held in your ear with an earmold.

Will you be able to go swimming with your hearing aid on? Of course not. Same goes for the CI.

Can you play football without losing your hearing aid? Applies to CI's too.

This is why I usually use duct tape to hold my CI in place while boxing....:laugh2:

Best of luck.. Be patient with him, It's a learning process with the CI. It's a great tool for those who can use it.

December 27th is the big day!

That's great and I wish him and your family the best. As big a decision as it is to choose the implant, just as important is what course of action will you pursue post implant to maximize the benefits your son may receive from the implant.

Whatever you choose, don't view it as a decision set in concrete but part of a continuing process and the type of post-ci speech and language therapy, as well as the therapist herself, may be one that you may consider changing along the way.
Rick

just as important is what course of action will you pursue post implant to maximize the benefits your son may receive from the implant.

Whatever you choose, don't view it as a decision set in concrete but part of a continuing process and the type of post-ci speech and language therapy, as well as the therapist herself, may be one that you may consider changing along the way.
Good point rick48. Also, you don't have to stick to a strict intense rehab process. As long as he gets some therapy, he'll do OK. What I mean by this (before I get attacked and accused of minimizing the need for therapy) is that he doesn't need hyperintense (ie helicopter parent gotta overprogram the kid every single mintute) therapy. He WILL do awesome with some therapy. Just don't overdo it.
Elliot's Dad, your son has a progressive loss right? That is actually a HUGE advantage. He prolly won't need as intense therapy to get benifit from it.

Don't get bogged down by this intense, hyperintense nonsense. Find your son a good S&l therapist and together you should be able to decide how much and how often your son needs s&l therapy.

My daughter's s&l therapist was wonderful and always made certain her sessions were age appropriate and fun. For her first session with our daughter she came stocked with games and books etc but when she saw my daughter was in the middle of playing with her Barbies, put them aside, sat down with her and did a whole session just playing Barbie with her. My daughter had no idea she was getting "intense" or "hyperintense" s&l therapy, she just thought someone was playing with her.

People who don't know are always quick to label what they don't know.

Don't get bogged down by this intense, hyperintense nonsense. Find your son a good S&l therapist and together you should be able to decide how much and how often your son needs s&l therapy.

My daughter's s&l therapist was wonderful and always made certain her sessions were age appropriate and fun. For her first session with our daughter she came stocked with games and books etc but when she saw my daughter was in the middle of playing with her Barbies, put them aside, sat down with her and did a whole session just playing Barbie with her. My daughter had no idea she was getting "intense" or "hyperintense" s&l therapy, she just thought someone was playing with her.

People who don't know are always quick to label what they don't know.

You don't know how it is to have a ci either....

I've had some audio verbal therapy, just as an adult though, since I got my CI 2 1/2 years ago. And it was at times a little fun not to also mention interesting whereas I was still learning new things I hadn't known before.

You don't know how it is to have a ci either....

But I do have over 20 years experience raising a child with a cochlear implant and it is from that perspective that I offer my insights and experiences. If the OP finds some, all or none of it helpful that is fine.
Rick

rick48, that is NOT what I meant at ALL! That is NOT intense or hyperintense speech therapy. That is simply a speech therapist being very creative with teaching spoken language! I do think you have to go and see a speech therapist who is experianced in teaching dhh kids, rather then a general generic speech therapist.
What I mean by intense/hyperintense therapy would be speech therapy every single day.(a la the parents who hyperschudule and overprogram their kids) More like an intense auditory Verbal route (gotta make every single second into an "enrichement/speech therapy moment)
Some speech/rehab therapy is AWESOME. As long as Elliot gets some good quality speech therapy, he'll do fine. Especially if he has the advantage of a progressive loss.

rick48, that is NOT what I meant at ALL! That is NOT intense or hyperintense speech therapy. That is simply a speech therapist being very creative with teaching spoken language! I do think you have to go and see a speech therapist who is experienced in teaching dhh kids, rather then a general generic speech therapist.
What I mean by intense/hyperintense therapy would be speech therapy every single day.(a la the parents who hyperschudule and overprogram their kids) More like an intense auditory Verbal route (gotta make every single second into an "enrichment/speech therapy moment)
Some speech/rehab therapy is AWESOME. As long as Elliot gets some good quality speech therapy, he'll do fine. Especially if he has the advantage of a progressive loss.

There is nothing wrong with focusing on your child's development. It is far more beneficial than neglect!

rick48, that is NOT what I meant at ALL! That is NOT intense or hyperintense speech therapy. That is simply a speech therapist being very creative with teaching spoken language! I do think you have to go and see a speech therapist who is experianced in teaching dhh kids, rather then a general generic speech therapist.
What I mean by intense/hyperintense therapy would be speech therapy every single day.(a la the parents who hyperschudule and overprogram their kids) More like an intense auditory Verbal route (gotta make every single second into an "enrichement/speech therapy moment)

What Rick discribed is exactly what every single therapist I have ever been in contact does. You are acting as though that is the exception rather than the rule.

Back